Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leftwood

Herb tea, tree tea, mushroom tea . . . what have you tried?

leftwood
18 years ago

I'll start with my experience with Labrador Tea (Ledum groenlandicum).

My first brew was quite unsuccessful and non-flavorful. I contend that the heavy "fuzz" on the leaves prevent the water from absorbing anything tasty. However, chopping it up with a knife or mechanical chopper/grinder worked well. The flavor is readily released and it produces a good tea in a very short time. I have used leaves dry and fresh. The taste is . . . well I think I'll brew some up tonight and report back.

This is one tea that you don't want to hold the steam in for. This plant has a narcotic toxin called ledel. According to J. J. Schofield in his book Discovering Wild Plants - Alaska, W. Canada and the Northwest, it is problematic only when cooked for a long time in a lidded container. Just found out about this today. I guess there is no sniffing the hot tea on this one!

Rick

Comments (4)

• leftwood
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Had some Labrador Tea tea at bedtime last night. And it was a good thing that I had all night to "think" about it, as any definition initially failed me. The best one word description is smooth. I wouldn't call it sweet, yet adding sugar is not necessary. There is a light taste of a tannin, reminiscent of the earthy bog where it grows, but not strongly astringent or biting. Quick brewing, the color is golden. Unlike pekoe teas, brewing more than a minute doesn't seem to enhance or strengthen the flavor.

I include Basswood tea here because Labrador Tea tea is similar. Both seem to have the same base tanin flavor: Labrador Tea with the earthy bog twist, and Basswood with the added flavor of its flower's aroma. Not surprising as the tea is made with the dried flowers themselves. If you have ever had Basswood honey, the same flavor is there too. Basswood tea is even more smooth than Labrador Tea tea, but there is a quality about it that, for me at least, was not offensive yet it needed a bit of getting use to.

In North America, Basswood (Linden) is Tilia americana. In Europe, it is Littleleaf Linden (Tilia cordata). When we visit our relatives in Slovenia, this is the tea they had and used almost daily, gathered from the nearby woods. And since I don't like coffee, this is why I got used to it. Littleleaf Basswood is also the national tree of Slovenia. Unlike our state tree (any guesses?), they take it very seriously. The two species of Basswood teas taste the same to me, although I have never tried them side by side.

Rick

P.S. The Minniesota state tree is the Norway pine or Red pine (Pinus resinosa).

• leftwood
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I love pekoe teas, but my favorite tasting is comfrey (Symphytum x uplandicum). It's like strong pekoe, and lip smackin' good. A good strong brew takes a long time. Sometimes I steep it and then put it in the fridge overnight to get really strong. Unfortunately, reports of a carcinogen contained therein (still debateable by some) keep me from consuming large quantities. I know "old" people who have drunk it all their lives with no effect, but what does that really mean? Comfrey is still a nice flowering perennial, and visitors never seem to know what it is.

• lynnsherbs
    18 years ago

Hi Rick, I followed the link from the Minnesota forum and was glancing through your soliloquy (okay, yes, I had to look it up) and saw comfrey tea!!! I'm glad you commented on the possible carcinogenic qualities! I've also read that borage (which is related) is also suspect...I love the cucumber taste of the flowers..forewarned is forearmed!

Lynn

• vogt0047
    17 years ago

I've done all the typicals. Anise (excellent when paired with a nice squeeze of lemon) Lavender (orange peel in this one adds a nice flavor and tends to bring out more of an earthy flavor) Hybiscus (excellent tea when gently heated. Don't boil or you will get a very sharp flavor that is undesireable) Rosehip (my favorite over winter) Chocolate Mint, peppermint, spearmint.

One of my favorites and some have wondered about me for it is Cactus tea. I actually have friends in the desert regions of arizona that tap the cactus for me and mail me jugs of the juice. Don't drink it stright but if you boil gently and add some lemon/orange/grapefruit to it you'll have a very nice beverage... though I'm not sure if it would be considerd a tea? It does require a bit of sugar.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm