Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
decolady01

New Year Moon Garden

decolady01
19 years ago

This is my first post this forum. Our moon garden is an island in the front yard where an ancient cedar blew down in a storm several years ago. It's approximately 12'x18'. Here is a photo I made of it late yesterday afternoon in our unseasonably warm weather for southern Tennessee.

{{gwi:1048257}}

Two August Beauty gardenias have survived the 10°F nights we had earlier in December. This fall I added 100 Thalia daffodils and transplanted my white ginger lily. When I dug the ginger, the clump of roots was large enough to divide into 7 or 8 new plants. Other new additions were Fragrant Angel echinacea and The Pearl tuberose. These joined pale yellow daylilies, Crinum x herbertii (Milk & Wine lilies that I dug up from my great-grandmother's old home about 15 years ago), David phlox, and Peruvian daffodils.

The garden is a work in progress. It is situated so that it gets moonlight until the wee hours of the morning. When the weather warms up, I will add some annuals - white nicotiana, Dusty Miller and white petunias. Maybe some others. We will see.

Oh, I do have moonflower vine, too. :) It grows on the east end of the deck, rather than in the moon garden.