Return to the Moon Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue River II Improved white hibiscus moschuetos

Posted by Sowandsew 8bTX (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 5, 03 at 21:41

I have a plant that is a must for a moon garden, although it is not scented. It is the Blue River II Improved hibiscus moscheutos and the flowers are huge and solid white. The first time it bloomed, I gasped. It was as if the moon had come down to earth as a flower......really......that dramatic. The flowers are dinnerplate size and really stand out at night. I think they are pretty hard to locate. I bought mine at a botanical garden plant sale. The website below has a picture, but does not indicate the enormous size of the flower. It grows in zones 5 - 9.

Here is a link that might be useful: Missouri Botanical garden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue River II Improved white hibiscus moschuetos

I have just the place for this hibiscus.

Thanks for posting the info. on it.

Rebecca

o

I had the exact same reaction the first time I saw mine blooming. That and my moonflowers ;>)

Mine is going on it's third year. I see just a tiny bit of green showing... hope I haven't lost it.

o

I love my Blue River II, The blooms are huge, I've had it for about 6 years in my back yard, and my neighbors 3 houses away can see it at night. She thought we had lights on during the night. The flowers are pure brilliant white, and the buds are beautiful too! Larger than your head. The clump is getting wider each year.

o

Oh wow, how pretty! Any tips on getting ahold of this?

o

I did a Google search and Glasshouseworks.com nursery has it for $12.00. It is listed under hardy hibiscus. You will love it. It is really eyecatching.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glasshouseworks Nursery

o

I have seeds for this hibiscus that I harvested myself.I just can't seem to get it to start from seed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moon Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here