Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

Plant name confusion

mdahms1979
18 years ago

I have noticed a lot of confusion due to the use of common plant names like moon flower and night blooming cereus. I think it would be much better if more people used the botanical names of their plants as it makes it much easier to discuss them and if you are in search of information to actually find it.

Is anyone else not at all confused by the casual use of these names? I am not trying to step on anyoneÂs toes but not all night blooming plants can't be called moon plants without causing confusion.

Comments (4)

• paradisi
    18 years ago

tereribley confused - even googling for things like moon flower and night blooming cereus (or cirus or cireus) doesn't bring up what is looked for - I've seen at least 20 different plants for sale on the net called night blooming cereus.

Not everyone is up to speed with the latin names, but a photo (if you can) or a link to a google image of the plant would help confusion.

Good idea mikedahms

• supergirl
    18 years ago

As a newbie to this particular forum, I think it would be hugely helpful. I'm trying to grow ipomoea, labeled moonflower on my seed packet. I just had my first successful germination, so was looking for tips. However, am definitely finding that when I look through the posts, people are talking about other plants as moonflower as well, so it's very confusing. Some other designation, either latin name or picture, would be really nice.

• ladybug41
    17 years ago

Hi; I agree wholeheartedly with your suggestion. I have been searching for a few years now for a plat that has yellow flowers, leaves that look similar to dandelion and it blloms at night. I was told it was called 'Night Bloomer'. I would love to know the botanical name as I might have more luck in finding it.
    Thanks
    Pat
    in Ontario, Canada

• ankraras
    17 years ago

If I am wrong someone will certainly jump in and made the correction I am sure, lol.

The botanical names of plants are used as a universal language for helping gardeners all across the universe when dealing
    with plants concerning horticulture.

Say, someone posts a question requesting information about moon flower. We presumably interpret that he/she is referring to
    the plant Ipomoea alba. Botanist have classified 'Ipomoea' as the genus and then 'alba' is a specific species of this genus. So now
    we have a common understanding that at least we are culturing mainly this Ipomoea's species. We actually have narrowed the
    Ipomoea genus of, some expert claim, approximately 300 -1500 species [guess work on my part here] down to just one!

Please note;- I do not claim to know it all, I am however a hobbyist whose understanding is from much culturing, research and
    reading with certain interest of plants in general and lack of available information to me.

Sadly, it's a way of the world with each individual communication and expectation of oneself.

Sponsored