Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moongardengirl

Moon Garden Plant Questions

moongardengirl
16 years ago

Moon Garden Plant Questions

I have been moving around a lot since I left home seven years ago and have been dreaming of someday having a permanent place to start a moon garden. Had to have pots at every rental (in the Army). I loved all the pictures from justjoeygirl (JoAnn), I am so encouraged. I have a few questions. For starters, how do you post pictures? I wanted to show you my dirt pile covered in snow here in zone 3 that will become a garden this spring, Lord willing. I plan on starting my seeds in doors and ordering from a few places DaveÂs Garden recommended and plan on 90% perennials and everything white but my daylilies. I have about ten MunsonÂs that I love that are red/purple.

I plan on Royal Star Magnolia, Annabelle Hydrangea, Mock Orange, a white Rosa, Silver Lace Vine, Duchess de Nemours Paeonia, Iris, Blueberry, Moon Vine, White Bleeding Heart, Cone Flower, Daisies, Daffodil, Fern, Poppy, Columbine, Hosta.

JoAnn, I like your idea of Minnesota Snowflake Mock Orange but I read it only blooms about 10 days. Is that true for you or do yours bloom longer?

Please tell me what you think of my plans. It has been living in my head so long and I have been saving to long to pick all the wrong things an have it fail. I live in zone 3 and it will be about 25x25. My DH feeds the deer so it has to have a major deer fence, 8 foot posts and fence. DH is not into plants at all, in fact before we met (30 year old bachelor) he had his yard removed and he put down class 5 so the whole yard front and back is a driveway, yes his neighbors love him. Lucky we only have two neighbors.

Do you think covering my fence with Silver Lace Vine (itÂs not invasive in my zone) will work or maybe Sweet Autumn Clematis would be better. I want a Âblock out the world effect if possible.

For the things I am planting by seed, if I plant the whole pack do you thing I can sell the extra plants at my garage sale this summer?

Also there are some thing I am getting whole sale because I want a lot and the price is better (of course) I have friends that are taking a few at that great price, do you thing I could g-sale them too. I am not looking at a back yard business I just wanted to know if you have done this and do you brake even?

So, are there enough questions for my first post?? Ha Ha

Thank you in advance.

Moon Garden Girl, Amy

Comments (4)

• kasha77
    16 years ago

Hi Amy
    I'm a newbie here- Don't have answers to your questions (sorry!) But did you mention that you have moon vine seeds? I just saw it's first pics. here, & would LOVE to start one! I'm in NC, moved down here from NY. Don't know anything about them, but would read up on it & cherish it if I could have one. If you don't have seed for it, do you know where I could find some? Hope you get answers to you questions!
    Thanks!
    Kathy S
    kasha77

• moongardengirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Home Depot, WalMart, and Lows. I lived in NC for two years, Fort Brag. The seeds are by the Morning Glories. I plan on getting Moon Flower and white Morning Glories for day and night blooms. Good Luck, Amy

• kasha77
    16 years ago

Amy,
    Thanks!
    Kathy S

• lucygreenthumb
    16 years ago

Hi Moongardengirl
    Congrats on the new garden! I rented for years so I know where you're coing from.

How much sun is your garden going to get and at what times during the day?

""I plan on Royal Star Magnolia, Annabelle Hydrangea, Mock Orange, a white Rosa, Silver Lace Vine, Duchess de Nemours Paeonia, Iris, Blueberry, Moon Vine, White Bleeding Heart, Cone Flower, Daisies, Daffodil, Fern, Poppy, Columbine, Hosta. "

I like your plant list, and if I can make a suggestion try to find seeds for white black-eyed susan vine - thunbergia alata. I found some at Farm & Fleet and love them because once they start blooming they don't quit - moonflowers in my area don't really start to bloom until the season's almost over.

Remember too, that the downside of perennials is that they have a "season of bloom", you have a nice mix of spring, summer and fall bloomers but don't be afraid to drag out those old pots and plant some annuals to fill in any gaps. I like white nicotianas, geraniums, petunias and alyssum. They'll also help fill in while your perennials are small.

If you have lots of sun keep an eye out for Immortality Iris - it's a white rebloomer, Casa Blanca lilies and some white asiatic lilies are also great. Sum & Substance hosta can take full sun, Hosta Plantiginea needs deeper shade but has fragrant flowers.

My Moon garden isn't completely white either - that was the original plan, but the first hummingbird changed all that so now I have pink/coral honeysuckle, coralbells and wild columbine as contrast. Plus pots of bright red, orange and pink impatiens.

A final note, since you're in zone three, winter is your longest season - consider giving yourself something to look at then too. I love my variegated red-twig dogwoods and different conifers and grasses in the winter time. If you plan your garden's bones to look good in winter it's easy to plant the summer stuff around them and have four seasons of beauty!

Good Luck!!
    Lucy

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?