Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newtownards38

Transplanting Moonfower Seedlings

Newtownards38
20 years ago

This is my second year trying moonflowers. Last summer, -after lots of trouble and only one bud that the frost got before it could open - I vowed never to try them again! Then I saw them at the store and just couldn't resist! I have started them in peat pellets, and after only 5 days seedlings are emerging. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to grow them after they are too big for the pellets? I know they will need to be transplanted before it is warm enough outside, and i am not sure what to plant them in, and the other specifics. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• cherylsnj
    20 years ago

AHHHH The ONLY thing I really knkow about is the (very much loved)moonflower. I did them last year. started them from seeds. soaked them in a wet paper towel in a sealed baggie, set on the window sill and after a week I had a sprig. I waited until they actually had a leaf (one single one shoud emerge) then put it an a peet pot with miracle grow potting soil. They HATE to be transplanted so if you have a peet pot use them to plant outside. Last year I did not get mine in until late May. This year I am going to try early May.....Goog luck to you.....let me know how they turm out. If you never had then you will LOVE them...Oh by the way I have started them in a plastic pot and had most of them live (some did die though:( ) but they should be OK ....

• kneecop
    19 years ago

How many did you put in the pot? Also how big was it? I have about 10 growing right now in peet pots and I never grew these before. I was thinking of putting some in a big pot to put on my deck, but should I put say 3 to a pot or does one vine get huge by itself?

• grwleye
    19 years ago

Three in a pot should be OK. Put the support (trellis or whatever) in at once! If you're ever around during the day you might think to make one plant a morning glory, just so there's always something nice to look at. Good luck!

• Murphette
    19 years ago

I have about 10 growing like crazy in a small 5" pot. I think every seed I planted, sprouted. For some reason, I didn't expect every seed to sprout. Now that I have 10 healthy 4-5" sprouts, with 2nd, and 3rd sets of true leaves.... I'm not sure how to go about transplanting them. I hear Moonflowers do not like to be transplanted. I thought about removing from the one pot and just placing into larger pot with soil. Any suggestions?????? or helpful tips????? They look so healty right now, I'm afraid to do anything to upset them.

• dahle101
    19 years ago

I have moonflowers growing in a pot in the sunroom to get started they are growing well and now they have white spots on the leaves it looked like a disease so I treated with a good fungicide and nothing changed they are growing but leaves have spots I cut off the bottom ones ,any one know?

• busy_bee_7tn
    19 years ago

I also started all my seeds in one pot. There has been no trouble at all with transplanting them. I started them in light seed-starting mix and then put them into individual pots with potting soil. I set them on an outside windowsill and then into full sun the next day. There are over a dozen of them and all have done very well.
    Bev

• merriss
    19 years ago

for some reason, I have the new plants come up all around the mother plants. I take a shovel and just dig pretty deep and transplant in very late afternoon..no problems. It helps if it is on a day that it is raining. It took me forever to get to this point but sure am glad. I have hundreds of new plants each year and hate to dispose of them!
    I was told by the lady that gave me a start, many years ago, that they could be a pest. Could not think about them being a pest at that time. I can see what she means, now.
    She also told me not to plant them near a fence where small calves etc might graze on them. I had wanted to plant them all along the property lines of our farm. I love them that much. After all these years, I still go out and watch them and enjoy the wonderful fragrance.
    Enjoy!!
    Merriss Poseskie Benefield
    merrissandjack@hotmail.com

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner