Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justjoeygirl

The first of the whites are blooming

JustJoeyGirl
18 years ago

Happy spring everyone!

I have many gardens in my yard, but one of my favorites is my white garden. I've posted many times here before, but I still get so filled with anticipation when the first of the white garden starts blooming. Right now it is crocus, squill and iris reticulata..daffodils are in bud, and hyacinths and tulips are sending up their spring foliage, along with the camassia and some lilies. It always amazes me how the ground can go from flat and brown to anywhere from 0 to 5 feet in height is such a short time. The perennials are starting to send up their new growth, and there are lots of spring bulbs sending up their foliage too, although I don't always recognize the it when it first pokes through.

Anyone else got the " I can hardly wait for all my buddies to bloom' feeling?

What's blooming in your white garden this time of year? Anything new you put in and just can't wait to see? I am thinking my baptisia will finally bloom this year. I also put in white muscari last fall. I am also looking forward to more blooms on my tree peony..it seems to progressively put out more blooms each year.

Tell us what's in yours..which annuals do you prefer? Special combinations?

Peace in gardening...JoAnn

Comments (7)

• bhscarlett
    18 years ago

i have some giant white datura innoxias very fragrant moon garden and very intoxicating, smell at the first kewl of the night .. beth:) got anything you'd like to trade,, i also have some evening four o clock seeds,, much smaller and also very fragrant evening garden,, plant around porch or windows for natural home freshener, and hey its really organic,,beth

• ankraras
    18 years ago

Goodness how could I be so wrong thinking that I was the only sole with the passion of planting a primarily white flower garden.

We planted two Yucca rostrata in front of our home. One normally comes in to flower before anything else blooms and the other
    one blooms in late fall. How could I ever begin to understand the mastery act of mother nature that the blooming can vary from
    these two?

A few others that are now in full bloom are;- Trachelospermum, Murraya, Curry leave, Bougainvillea, Freesia, Lily of the Valley,
    Rosemary, Eugenia, Gardenia, Sansevieria, Euphorbia, Lemon and the Strawberries are forming tiny fruits on them.

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ok, now I have zone envy, ha ha ha... we are still in the crocus, scilla, squill, muscari and early daffodil stages here. A few fritillaria are opening too, but for the most part our summer plants are either still sleeping or not even purchased yet.

I noticed you have bougainvillea blooming...I wonder if I could grow that in a container and place it in my garden, it is definitely not hardy here, but lovely and long lasting. I only wish I could grow gardenias here too.

It is nice to see someone else with a passion for white also, your's must be so fragrant, just looking at your selections. I'll have to look up yucca rostrata, I'm not familiar with that one. Enjoy the season! JoAnn

• abq_bob
    18 years ago

My crocus and daffs are done, but I do have white honesty blooming right now (lunaria). I have a pink jasmine in bud (only the buds are pink, the actual flowers are white), it should be blooming fully by the Tax Day. I also have some white iris in bud, but they're probably a good two-three weeks from really blooming strong.

My datura are still sleeping, but they should begin waking up any day now. They don't usually start to bloom for me until the first of June or so. My strawberries and kiwi's are just setting out leaves, they'll probably be blooming by the end of April. Oh, and my cherry tree is in full bloom right now, looks like a huge 30ft snowball in my back yard :)

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Snowcaps are blooming now, a nice early white with silvery foliage.

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

What is a 'snowcap'??? I have snowcap daisies, but they aren't even breaking ground yet and the foilage is green. I have snowcap spiderwort, but that also has green foliage and has just broken ground.

I can't even imagine Datura overwintering here..ha ha ha.. but we do have lovely fragrant lilacs, and peonies, and tulips.. I guess it is a trade off in different zones. I wonder if there is a zone that can grow everything? probably a 7 and a half...ha ha ha...the edge of both enevelopes.

Please, do let me know what a snowcap is though.. thanks, JoAnn

• david_oklahoma
    18 years ago

JoAnn, I would like to see pictures if you would share them. I would like a white garden also. I would like to put it where I can install a light to display it.

My Datura are coming up now, so now is the excellent time to move them and get other things mixed in as well. I scattered literally thousands of Datura seed last fall. I am going to send my daughter-in-law a bag of new plants by overnight FedEx. Might as well get them growing in Kenilworth NJ too.......*smile*

If anyone has pictures of their white garden they would be willing to share, I would love to see them. My email is david74017@tulsaconnect.com. I keep trying to change my preferences on my GW personal page, but it won't work and I can't get anyone from GW to help me. I think they simply don't have the time, as it takes all of the staff to help load these pages with ads, popups, and spyware so the pages get so heavy it takes forever for them to load. Gezzzzzz that was ugly............glad I got it off my chest *smile*.

David

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus