Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justjoeygirl

Excited, the moon is coming!

JustJoeyGirl
20 years ago

I am excited, the new season here in Z5 is off and getting ready to run!

I've had an evening garden for a few years, but last spring and fall I really did it up big, and can't wait. Tons of bulbs went in, the snow is gone, and they are coming up in droves along with some growth on the perennials. The shrubs are still asleep, but that's ok, they are the summer/fall show.

Is anyone else anticipating white like I am, after a very white winter. (Sometimes I think why do I want white after all winter with white, but then ahhhh, the scent in the evening!) I do have some deep purples in there and some brilliant red in a few spots to add some daytime POW!

Funny thing for me, I CAN'T seem to grow a moonflower at all. I want one so bad, I have started them indoors but they die out, won't even germinate for me in ground. I think I may just pay alot at the nursery and buy one large and keep it in a pot this year.

Anyone else share this White/Evening Garden anticipation for the 2004 season?

Comments (3)

• HawksJane
    20 years ago

I just spent the afternoon in my garden, plotting and planning this years moon garden. Last year was my first and it was amazing. Already my spring bulbs are up, I have Jean D'Arc Crocus and Brides Veil Daffodils in bloom, the iris and tulips are showing their follage. I anchored with Angels Trumpet (datura metaloid), and mingled Pearly Gates morning glories with moonflowers on chicken wire as a backdrop to cover that yucky brick wall. Dusty Miller, Eskimo marigolds, white impatiens, white sage, baby's breath, and white snap dragons transitioned to the deep purples of speedwell, pansies in purple, violet and white, and a huge Jackmanii clematis on an old fashion trellis. This year I plan to expand from the one end of the porch and foundation bed, to include the entire east side of the yard, using some lighting elements and a silver and glass windchime to reflect the moons light. Oh, and a place to sit with a glass of iced tea and soak up the moon beams.

• sherrymo
    20 years ago

I also am excited to see the Moon garden emerge! Planted white tulips last fall and they are up. Just put in a white rose standard and a white floribunda and two minature white roses. I have plans for lots of scent this year and am waiting on the jasmine to arrive. My moon garden is around a small pond and it is lovely when the moon is full! Nice to find this forum!

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    20 years ago

This is a great forum, I'm suprised to see that it is less busy then some of the others.

Jane, thanks for including some of the plants and combinations that you have in your garden, it sounds absolutely wonderful. I should be able to see it from here, ha ha ha.

I love the idea of lighting and ornamentation too. Any suggestins on lighting? I saw a few very nice candlelit lanterns that I thought of hanging on a sheppards hook, but I'm not sure it would be bright enough. I don't want to overwhelm it. I unfortunately have some trees with high canopies that sometimes block the moonlight, can you believe it? I should have researched it better before I planted so much. It didn't start out as a moon garden, just with a few 'standouts', and I liked the effect.

May I ask what annuals you prefer? I add some of these to my perennials, shrubs, vines, and roses: cleome, alyssum, pentas, petunias, impatiens, geraniums, vinca, nicotiana, dahlias and sometimes marigold. This year I think I'll try dusty miller, I've seen it in another garden (from a distance) and it looked nice. How do you use your dusty miller? I've never planted it.

Can I convince anyone to take inventory of their moon gardens and share the list? I know it's work, but I'll work on mine and share it if anyone's interested.

Sponsored