Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dragonstar_gw

New to moonflowers...

Dragonstar
19 years ago

I have always loved the look of white morning glories, and recently discovered seeds for a night blooming flowering vine discribed only as 'moon flower'. It looks just like the white morning glories that I grew up with and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how best to start these seeds. I have tried on several occasions with little or no success. Warm and moist, not wet, is what I have been told, but still no luck. Also, can I plant these with my morning glories so I have these beautiful blossoms both day and night? I am new to gardening in general, and I would be very thankful for any help or advice...Thanks in advance to all.

Comments (4)

• angiebug
    19 years ago

This is my first attempt as well. I started mine on Feb 17, using jiffy pellets. I attempted to nick the seeds as suggested, but couldn't penetrate the outside of the seed, so I just put the seeds in the pellets and covered with a thin layer of the peat. Keep them moist and WARM. Mine sprouted within a couple of days. Warmth is very important...here in the south, we have a warm spring, so I started taking mine outside where they'd get more light. One day a cold front came through before I could get home and bring them inside...they were all droopy and sad. I put my heating pad underneath for a few hours and they perked back up. The roots do grow pretty quickly, so within about 2 weeks, I had to put them into larger peat pots. I didn't remove them from the jiffy pellets, just put soilless mix into a 4 inch peat pot and planted the pellet and plant in the pot. I have heard that they don't like transplanting, so I didn't want to do anything to traumatize them anymore than I already had. Mine are currently about 10 inches tall and growing. I keep them outside now, but still protect them when the nights dip below 55. Good luck!

• LindaMA
    19 years ago

I have moonflower seedlings all over my kitchen, I am even Winter Sowing some on my porch deck. I sowed them two ways, the first was in a mini-greehouse flat and they did pretty good but the second way was the best. I took a paper towel and wet it in very warm water, then I took 4 or 5 moonflower seeds and placed them in the middle of the wet paper towel and folded the towel over a few times until it was a small square. I then placed the paper towel in a baggie and clipped it to the side of my refridgerator with one of those magnets and left it there. I went back and opened it in 4/5 days and was suprised to see germination - these little white roots coming out of all the seeds. Because it was too soon to plant them outside, I put them in Peat Pots and they're doing great!

The baggie method really works, give it a try, you'll be pleasantly suprised!

Good luck!

• nimbleneedle2
    19 years ago

I had a beautiful mix of Morning glories and Moonflowers growing together last year! What a delight to see the morning glories open with some of the moonflowers still open from the evening. This also seemed to keep the caterpillars from devouring my moonflowers. 2 Years ago, I did moonflowers with clemantis, within 3 days a solo caterpillar devoured the whole moonflower vine. Left me with the seed heads though, LOL.

• shanklemsw
    18 years ago

Moonflowers open quickly as the sun sets and stay open all night. They close the next morning and are spent. Don't deadhead if you want seeds for next year.

Sponsored