Return to the Moon Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moonflower vine vs datura (angel's trumpet)

Posted by dighappy z7 NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 13, 04 at 23:34

I have a question, is the moonflower vine in the same family as Datura or angel's trumpet, which I believe is in the nightshade family and is very poisonous, I had a beautiful moonflower vine growing out of a large pot a few years ago and unfortunately an early frost got to the seed pods before I had a chance to harvest. I would like to find the seeds to the vine again but have way to many critters that might nibble on it.... I don't want to take a chance on growing it if it's in the same family as Angel's trumpet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moonflower vine vs datura (angel's trumpet)

the moonflower vine is related to morning glories, so it is probably posionous also. The seeds are almost everywhere right now. I saw them at Menards for .50! You need to get them planted early. Supposedly they only take 90 days from seeding to flower, but here in Minnesota, that takes us almost up to frost.

o

I'm not possitive that they are all poisonous. While the Moonflower and Morning Glories are related to nightshade, so are tomatoes. But, maybe the vines are closer and hence poisonous. I'll contact Burpee and see what they say.

o

Datura is considered poisonous to swine so if you have a pet pig that might have access to your angel's trumpet be careful. I have grown moonflower vines for 4 years with dogs, cats,deer and pigs around it. They have never bothered my moonflower vines as most animals instinctively will not eat poisonous plants unless there is no other food.
If you would like some moonflower seeds, I will send you some. Email: doglady123@yahoo.com

o
re: horn of plenty vine

does anyone know where i could purchase a horn of plenty angel trumpet vine(it is purple and white colored ruffled and very full blooms) please.if so,please dont hesitate to contact me at mshgtvangel@aol.com.thank you very much.

o

Double daturas are available in the big commerical catalogs like T&M and Parks. They're expensive - about $4 for 10-15 seeds and much less germination (in my one time experience with this seed) than single dats you get in scads from everyone.

I would suggest when speaking about mooonflowers be it morning glory family, daturas or brugs, to stick with the latin name. Otherwise you get an entirely different plant and it really causes newbies a lot of confusion. I was one to this forum last fall and it drove me nuts until I figured it out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moon Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here