Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alene1_gw

Moonflower bush

alene1
15 years ago

I bought 2 purple and white moonflower bushes at a farmer's market 2 years ago (the kind with the weird shaped pods). Last year, all that came up was some greenery, no flowers, and they did not get very big. This year, a lot of greenery is coming up all over. Does anyone know how long it takes for the flowers to bloom in a situation like this? I know my trumpet vine took about 5 years to bloom after I put it in.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (9)

• peggybren
    15 years ago

PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE,, WHERE DO I GET THE PODS, I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AND LOOKING AND HAVE WANTED MOONFLOWER BUSH FOR SO LONG HELP

• kasha77
    15 years ago

Hi Peggy-
    What is moon flower bush? Is it a Datura lily? (Is the bush about 2 feet tall, & do the trumpets face upward, bloom at night, very fragrant, & what color are they? I might have what you are looking for, if it's Datura. I have some mixed seeds, LMK!
    Kathy

• Kelly44
    15 years ago

I too Am looking for seeds or pods to the Moon flower Bush "Datura" I had a beautiful one and it was fragrant and large and My boyfriend and neighbor dumped a load of dirt and guess where they put it...Yep On my plant... UGH!! I cannot find one anywhere around my area , I have been looking for 3 yrs. Anyone know where I could get some seeds... will pay .Or
    A plant!!!

• fanneymae
    15 years ago

Do you have seeds to spare .. Been tryin to get seeds for a while now.. email me at fanneymae1318@aol.com
    Please.

• Kelly44
    15 years ago

Anyone looking for Moonflower Bush seeds should go to Ebay and enter in Datura plant or Datura seeds and you will find them! I bought 50 seeds for 2.00. Give it a shot , what do you got to lose but 2.00 :-)

• musicaldeity
    15 years ago

I have some available for trade. White, Blue, Mystery and Lefluer. Email if interested.

Kim

• nbacres
    14 years ago

I've got Moonflower seeds if anyone is interested. I'm still direct seeding since IA is cool and rainy. Send me an e-mail if interested (for seed trade).

• sodbuster
    14 years ago

I will this fall. If you want pods, save my addy and email me then. If I send them now they will be green, but by fall they will be ready for next year. Each pod will have approx 300 seeds. Ask me how I know..........yes I counted them! These are the bush and are white, not colored.

david74017@yahoo.com

• mtcrafter
    14 years ago

I have had datura "Angel's Trumpet" for several years. I started with a plant from a local nursery and have had them reseed and come up every year. I had moved some to other places in the yard but they seem to do best in full sun in a rather dry, well drained area. They may have come up in other places but dh hates them and usually will hoe out all but one or two plants just to keep me quiet. There are other colors of lavender/purple, double white and yellow but I'm not sure they will reseed up here. When my daughter lived in AZ, I found they had a lot of the native ones that sprawled a bit more with smaller flowers. They called them Jimson Weed. All datura is somewhat toxic. They act as a hallucigen and can make people very sick or even die. My dd worked at a hospital and every summer kids would come in with datura poisoning.