Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david_oklahoma

Moonflowers coming up.....

david_oklahoma
18 years ago

EVERYwhere! This is going to be a year of beautiful evenings with regard to Moonflowers. Bumper crop indeed. I was out last evening taking a look and they are coming up everywhere.

Anyone else checked lately?

Happy Mooning,

David

Comments (5)

• my_secret_garden
    17 years ago

I just planted mine a couple of days ago so nothing yet!

• david_oklahoma
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Manda.

I haven't planted any of my purchased seeds yet. I hope to today. All that are coming up are from last year's plants that reseeded themselves. This evening I am planning to remove and relocate a few and also FedEx four or five to Kenilworth, NJ. I have friends that have never seen a Moonflower. Geezzzzz, are they in for a treat!

I am a little surprised, so far, by this forum. I would have expected more excitement by now. Perhaps it's a bit early, yet.

• my_secret_garden
    17 years ago

I actually am starting to see some activity with the moonflowers I planted in the ground along my West Fence. The ones that my mom grew on her porch sprouted up right away and we transplanted those into my garden a couple of days ago. They are thriving. I probably won't see any kind of blooms this year, will I?

• david_oklahoma
    Original Author
    17 years ago

If they are the Moonflower "bush", yep. Seems my Moonflowers are growing rather slow this year. The weather has been cooler, until recently, so maybe that has something to do with it.

David

• pitbullt
    17 years ago

Hi,
    My name is Ted and I am new to this web site, but it does look like the place to be. I am retired and not too much of a gardener, but I am learning.

MOON FLOWERS , as far as I know are basically two types, The vine like Morning Glory called Ipomoea, and a small plant, some are calling a bush, that grows about 2+ feet in height with equal width called Datura. It is the latter than I am familiar with.

I purchased a pot containing three plants two years ago and was amazed at the large white flowers that opened at night, I live in central New Jersey and no one in my neighborhood had ever had any and everyone wanted one. Having a BROWN thumb I was certain that they would not last long, but they did, flower after flower until late fall.
    Each flower that dies formed a prickly ball type sphere that if left on the plant would split open and drop seeds.

I picked these pods as they turned brown but before they split open, brought them in the house and let them finish drying out. I then split open the pods and removed the hundreds of seeds, placing them in a plastic container that some Won Ton soup came in.
    They sat on top of my dishwasher, which is next to a window, all winter and up to early April.

I have a large pedestal type pot at my front door that we plant every spring with annuals, I told my wife I needed to use it before she planted. I mixed in some all purpose plant fertilizer in the old potting soil/top soil mixture that was left from the previous year and took about 20-25 seeds and just mashed them into the loose soil. Some could still be seen and others not when I was finished. I soaked/drowned the pot with so much water some of the seeds was floating on the water.

I soaked this pot daily until I could actually see little plants punching up in the dirt, at that time I just kept the dirt wet, not moist, but wet from then on. I harvested about 15-18 plants that are now about 1.5 feet high and growing. No I do not need all those plants, but not too shabby for Mr. Brown Thumb. I have given all but 4 away; Those 4 will give me more seeds than I will ever need for next year.

This unscientific method has worked for someone who could not grow rice in Japan for two years now. I hope it helps you. This is a plant, with large trumpet like white flowers.

If any of you have any seeds of different color flowers I would love to exchange some with you.

Regards
    Teddy P

Sponsored