Return to the Moon Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need moon garden plant ideas for zone 4b

Posted by muskoka77 4b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 07 at 11:31

Hello All,
Has anyone planted moon gardens in the 4b at least zone? I really want to try a little one this year but have heard that is difficult with the sometimes shocking temp dips in the summer. Thoughts? Ideas? Anyone?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need moon garden plant ideas for zone 4b

4b? Ouch. You could always try Datura.

o
RE: Need moon garden plant ideas for zone 4b

Hello fellow 4-er!
There are lots of suitable white flowers that do well for us.
White daisies, esp. "Becky"
White Phlox, "David" "Miss lingard" ;
White Candytuft/iberis ;
Lilies both asiatic and oriental (and probably others) Casa Blanca does very well.
The ground cover "Snow in summer"
White swamp milkweed - asclepias incarnata "Ice Ballet"
White Daylilies - Joan Senior needs a bit if winter protection, well-drained soils and extra mulch but will make it. Other light colored daylilies will work and many stay open through the evening.
White roses - I have "Gourmet Popcorn" and love it! Also consider "Blanc Double De Courbert" or "Iceberg"I have David Austins' Heritage which is a pale enough pink to pass for white at night. Also in our zone, be sure to get own-root roses...they stand a better chance of getting through the winter.

For spring don't forget to plant white crocus,tulips, and daffodils.

You can grow white annuals like petunias, marigolds, sunflowers, moonflower, nicotiana and my fav the white version of the black eyed susan vine. Etc, Etc, Etc!!

Also don't forget variegated foliage plants! I have white nancy lamium as a ground cover, bishop weed and variegated hostas in the shade garden and I love my variegated red twig dogwood. It's by a window and the inside lights glow through the leaves for passersby, a very nice effect.

Lots of very hardy perennials have white varieties which will do very nicely! Good Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moon Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here