Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_ruth

Your suggestions for a rose, please

Jennifer_Ruth
19 years ago

I've saved space in my moon garden for a rose. What I want is a pale pink one with plenty of fragrance. What would you suggest? Thanks for your help!

Jennifer

Comments (6)

• JustJoeyGirl
    19 years ago

I have a "Dainty Bess" which is a single, very fragrant, light pink rose with dark contrasting stamens. Very Nice.

I have a very fragrant white rose, "Blanc Double De Coubert" and an "Iceberg" in my white/moon garden. I didn't think to put in light pinks, I bet that works well, good luck. Only room for one, huh?

• Jennifer_Ruth
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yes, only room for one rose. This is a very small garden at the corner of my garage, planted around a tamarisk. I put in a white, fragrant peony--I forget now which one--and saved a spot for a rose. It's not going to be much of a moon garden until next year, because last fall I ran out of room for the irises I'd ordered, and parked some of them in there until I can get a new bed dug. But I'm putting in white alyssum and white poppies this year. Right now it's full of white antique daffodils, white grape hyacinths, and very pale pink antique hyacinths whose name is Chestnut Flower. I ordered the bulbs from Old House Gardens, a nursery which has a number of bulbs suitable for moon gardens. I've ordered from them many times and really recommend them. I'll post a link below.

In the meantime, thanks for your suggestions, JustJoeyGirl (I presume you also have Just Joey roses?). I have Blanc Double de Coubert planted as a hedge dividing my flower garden from my food garden. I've had Iceberg in the past and liked it very much.

I'd still be pleased to hear other suggestions as well, if any of you are growing a pale pink rose you love.

Jennifer

Here is a link that might be useful: Old House Gardens

• tropicanarama
    19 years ago

The David Austin rose "Heritage" is wonderful, with huge cup-shaped pale pink blooms, reblooming, and a great fragrance. It even tolerates some shade. The one drawback is that its flowers blow relatively quickly. Abraham Darby isn't quite as pale but its fragrance is incredibly strong and it's very vigorous.

I don't have these yet, but other good possibilities from the Austins could be Ambridge Rose, A Shropshire Lad, Sharifa Asma, Miss Alice, Perdita, Elgantyne, or Cottage Rose (supposedly one of the strongest.)

Good luck!

• sowandsew
    19 years ago

Your ideas sound wonderful. I recommend Souvenier de la Malmaison. It is an antique pale pink bourban rose with a wonderful fragrance and it doesn't grow more than 3 feet tall. I have one that I love.

• Molineux
    19 years ago

I think zone 5 is pushing it for Souvenir de la Malmaison, which is a Bourbon/China hybrid.

Heritage is a wonderful suggestion but she might to be too big for that spot. Heritage likes to arch out to 5 feet or more.

I think the best rose for that spot is SHARIFA ASMA. In zone 5 she should stay under 4 feet tall. The fragrance is intoxicating, the flower form lovely, and the soft pink color would look luminious in a darkened garden.

The image below of Sharifa Asma is by CocoMartinez in zone 5 Chicago. It along with many others can be found in the Hortiplex database here at Gardenweb.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sharifa Asma at Hortiplex

• Jennifer_Ruth
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm going to have such fun choosing.

Jennifer

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA