Return to the Moon Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting my Moonflowers

Posted by Murphette 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 04 at 15:24

I have planted several moonflowers from seed into a 5" container. They appear to being doing very well, although I think I have far too many in this one flowerpot. Approx 10 plants, but healthy!!! After reading through some of the posts, and hearing how temperamental they can be when transplanting, I'm afraid they may take a turn for the worse. At the moment, each plant is approx. 4" in height. When do you recommend that I transplant them into a larger container, and how would I go about doing this? I'm thinking it might be best to just fill a larger pot with potting soil, and putting the entire plant(s) "as is", and place into new soil. In other words, not separating each plant. I could really use any advice or tips you may have. Also, should I be pinching these back at any point?
Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting my Moonflowers

• Posted by AustinL Little Rock, 7b (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 23, 04 at 21:06

I have 3 in each 4 inch pot and planted the whole thing without separating them. I would use this approach just to be on the side of caution.

o

I just recently transplanted my moonflowers, and I also didn't take them apart. Since I've transplanted them, I noticed that I have new growth. Best of luck to you. I hope that all our moonflowers thrive! I'm so very excited about the blooms! I'll keep everyone posted!

o

Just this past weekend, I decided to transplant the entire 5" pot of Moonflowers into a larger pot. So far, it seems to be doing well.

Again, not knowing very much about gardening, I used regular topsoil. I thought I read somewhere that they do not like rich/fertilized soil. Any thoughts on the type of soil I should use, or (should have used)?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, because they really look healthy!!!

o

• Posted by AustinL Little Rock, 7b (My Page) on
    Sat, May 1, 04 at 21:12

Regular topsoil that is good draining will probably work well. Let them dry out somewhat between waterings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moon Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here