Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sari_by_night

Moonflower question

Sari_by_night
20 years ago

Okay. My first experiment with Moonflowers. Here's what I did, hoping I didn't do anything wrong.

I soaked the seeds over night...actually, one of them had a little sprout coming out of it hours later!! Anyway, then I put them in a potting soil/peat mix and put 'em in little peat pots. (BTW, I nicked some of them too, as an experiment, and it didn't seem to make a lick of difference). Also, since I have read to put them 1" deep, and some say 1/2" deep, I put some about 1", some about 3/4" and some just over 1/2" deep. (thought I'd cover all the bases)

Anyway, they have been sitting here in a bright window for two days... how long should I wait before getting concerned that nothing is happenening? (I know, it's only been two days LOL)

Also, how moist should I be keeping them? Moist, but not wet, I figure. Last night, the soil had completely dried out, so I soaked them. This morning, they are only barely moist. I don't want to rot them, but I don't want to dehydrate them either :-(

Any tips or corrections or anything for me here? It would be appreciated:-)

Comments (54)

• Sari_by_night
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I HAVE MOONFLOWERS! YAY! Then, I went and did something dumb. Ugh.

this morning,, I saw 4 were coming up. One of which is coming up, (how I thought) all funny.

I look, and the seed end, almost completely intact, is sticking ou of the soil. WTF, I thought.

So I..(dumbly) dig. Gently, but I dig, never the less, and discovered a nice long (and now, freshly exposed and completely disturbed) root, happily burrowing deepp into the peat pot. (why would I do that. WHY would I do that.)

Everyone says they are hard to transplant and that the roots hate being disturbed, but I put it pack anyway. Here's hoping I didn't kill one of my precious moonflowers :-(

LOL I am such a newbie! On the happy side of things, I'm going to have WAY too much of everything else I planted! *happy* I consider that a good thing. The only thing I won't have too much of is the moonflowers.

• austinl
    19 years ago

They are tougher than you think. As long as you didn't break the root, I'd say it will be okay.

• jblum
    19 years ago

I planted mine around two weeks ago, and so far there's nothing. I soaked them over night, planted them in a moist peat pot in a sunny South facing window. It has been kind of cold recently; could that be the problem, or could it be the moisture? Any other ideas? I'll try another batch when it starts to warm up.

• busy_bee_7tn
    19 years ago

Set them on a heating pad and stand back! Mine popped up so fast, it looked overnight like a volcano was forming.

• popny
    19 years ago

Busy bee ,I'm definitely trying that heating pad tip! But, the newbie dumb questions prevail. Sorry!But, here goes: 1) are you soaking them when you use the pad? or is that carryover into little pots with earth in them?; 2) is it underneath the tray, dish,pot or whatever, or is it sort of loosely bllanketed by the pad?; 3) How long is it used;4) and am I close in thinking you KEEP the temp. close to 75 deg f.? 4)Does the 'nicking' result in a chip off of it, or a slice into it?5) Is the moon flower as invasive as its 'runnin' partner', the morning glorey ? OOOOhh ssshhhhh------! NOW THAT IS DDUUUMBBB! lol, , my goodness, please! keep that between us! But, SOMEbody had to do it! Thanks for the enjoyment of the thread and wonderful advice and patience!POPNY

• Pantagruelia
    19 years ago

Hello Popny,

I'm a fellow newbie and I've started some seeds too (although much later that you ) and am just as eager but did most of my "Oh, my gawd. Is anything happening?" poking, prodding, early transplanting and over watering in Feb/March with some graciously forgiving but ridiculously overgrown morning glorys (they're still alive and climbing like crazy!!!). Thanks for posting! All I've read has been very helpful in alleviating some of my own seedling anxieties!

Do you think I've started my moonflower seeds too late for zone 6? They weren't easy to come by and I just found them at a garden centre on the weekend!!!

Pantagruelia.

• ChaseUdn
    19 years ago

Moonflower vine seeds are definately tough to germinate. I nick the seed with a fingernail file and then soak (about 20 hours). Then I put them in a wet (wrining out the excess water) coffee filter and fold the filter like a pie. Then I put them in ziploc baggies and attach them to the side of the fridge with a magnet. I get germination in about 3 days or so. This year I had about 90% germ rates....normally I feel lucky if I get 50%.

• gardeniarose
    19 years ago

I am resurrecting this thread which is almost a year old! Popny had asked if moonflower vines are invasive as their cousins the morning glories. I don't know if that is such a "dumb" question. I was hoping someone had answered it because about 2 weeks ago I started about 10 moonflower seeds all around my patio. A few have come up already. Am I asking for trouble? Are they going to be sending runners or rhizomes all over the neighborhood? LOL! I have no previous experience with either moonflowers or morning glories so I am asking while I can still go out there and dig up all the seedlings while they are young.
    Thanks.

• agood
    19 years ago

Hi I have a question about some moonflowers I planted. My moonflower is about 5 weeks old and has two leaves fully developed. Earlier in the week I noticed some small white bugs on the leaves. They seem to be eating some of the plant. Do you have any idea what they might be?
    Thank you.

• abq_bob
    19 years ago

Moonflowers don't seem to be invasive for me. Morning Glory is pretty invasive here, even though it's an annual, it reseeds very heavily here in Zone7. And I'm not talking about bind-weed either. Never had a problem with Moonflowers though, and actually have some started for this year in seed pots.

In your zone10, they may reseed a bit more successfully than here in zone7. I've always had to puroposely replant them.

• whitejade
    19 years ago

I don't know if I discovered anything related to great moonflower germination rates but I will share anyway , just in case it is "something". Moonflowers seeds are hard to come by here too and in the packets I buy there are only a small number of seeds. The one I bought to sow indoors had only 7 seeds!

But - wonder of wonders, they all came up! 100% germination rate! I have not ever had that happen for moonflowers . I planted these in a different way, which was this:

Soaked them 20 - 24 hours (the standard protocol) and then planted them *in a circle* around a 12 inch clay pot. I planted them in the circle because I wanted to put bamboo stakes in the center, as they will be growing indoors all the time - however, there IS something about circular energy (think "stonehenge" or stone circles) and maybe this was good for the seeds???
    I also need to share that the soil I used was the usual soil-less seed starting container mix PLUS some charcoal and some small lava rocks added to it. It's possible those were helpful too, I just don't know, but this is the first time I'd amended the soil that way...(the lava rocks are mixed into the soil not on top of it - so I am thinking they are not really absorbing heat - but definitely are making for great drainage .

• jroot
    19 years ago

Wow, I haven't started mine yet, here in zone 5 Canada. I don't think I want them to be spindly, but maybe I should. The package says, "April 15th" is the the best planting time, since I can't put them out until June 1st.

I do like the idea of the circular planting though, especially since you will be adding a stake to the centre. Well thought out.

• angiebug
    19 years ago

Anyone have any advice about whether moonflowers grow better in containers or in the ground? I have a bed of rather poor soil (alot of clay) around the structure I want my moonflowers to climb. So...should I plant in the ground or container?

• sudimari
    19 years ago

Okay, back to the question about how invasive. Last year I had morning glories on two sections of my fence...they were gorgeous. Took off like gangbusters. I germinated moonflowers but for several reasons never got them into the ground. So this year I have 3 types of morning glories and 2 packs of moonflower seeds.

I'm soaking both currently, hope to start them in peat pellets this evening or tomorrow morning. My question is when I take them outdoors in a couple weeks can I mix the pellets in the areas where my fence is? Will the moonflowers be vigorous enough to grow mixed in with the morning glories? Or do I need to do one length of fence morning and one moon?

• ericabrose
    18 years ago

I NEED HELP,SOMEONE PLEASE HELP,LOL.I STARTED MY MOONFLOWERS INDOORS IN THIS LITTLE MAKESHIFT GREENHOUSE FLAT FROM WALMART.WHEN THEY GOT TO BIG FOR THIS,I STUCK THEM OUTSIDE,,YUP I KNOW,IM DUMB ABOUT GARDENING,WELL WE HAD A FROST AND THEY ARE A LITTLE BROWN.SHOULD I DIG THEM UP AND MOVE BACK INSIDE?THEY STAND ABOUT 4 INCHES TALL AND JUST GOT THEIR 3RD LEAF.WHAT DO I DO?ITS BEEN COLD HERE,CAN I COVER THEM IF IT FREEZES AGAIN,OR ARE THEY DONE FOR?WILL THEY REVIVE,I'VE BEEN TOLD THEY ARE HARDY PLANTS AND EASY TO GROW.I NEED HELP!!!! SOMEONE LET ME KNOW WHAT TO DO

• chuckr30
    18 years ago

EricaBrose, cover them each night with a pot or plastic jug, so they will be somewhat protected. Plastic pots are fine if you place a rock on top so they don't blow off. Take off the pot during the day if it gets warmer than 60F.

It also sounds like you didn't give them time to "harden off" by placing them outside during the day for a week or two, before planting them willy nilly outside. If they die, that's ok. We have all been beginners before and we have all killed seedlings.

Do not dig them up, you could break their roots which will kill them.

If you have bricks, make a brick square around each plant, as high as the plant is, then cover with a wood board. The bricks will absorb heat during the day, and keep the plants warmer at night. The inside of the bricks should be big enough not to squish the plant.

• whitejade
    18 years ago

Just wanted to go back after time had gone by (of my March 15 post above) and share how my moonflowers are doing - which is GREAT! They are still in a 12 inch container indoors - they have grown well past my poles and have been massing together into this big happy mess. What I am absolutely amazed about is that they are putting out full-sized flowers! I had figured they'd be miniature versions but no, they are fully 5-6 inches wide. And smell heavenly :) Each day anywhere from 3 to 8 flowers will open and this has been going on since they first began to bloom on Earth Day (easy to remember date !) I also noticed that these indoor plants are opening their flowers early, in daytime. And that could be a good thing for anyone who can't stay up past 8 pm but still wants to smell these flowers before bed each night !

I do find they are not as strong in fragrance, but I also find they are still the very same haunting, incredible essence that I have smelled outdoors....I love all plants and love fragrance but I'd say this is definitely one of my favorite fragrances....

• Violet_Skies_
    18 years ago

I bought two moonflower plants at the farmer's market and put them in the ground about 3 weeks ago next to my arbors. (I have two arbors next to each other, I planted them at the outside of them). Anyway, they are still only a foot tall, but each has a long bud right out the top of the plant. The bud is light green, not purple as some have mentioned here. Also, some of the lower leaves have gotten brown spots and turned yellow and dropped off. I have fertilized on occasion with a very weak fish/kelp emulsion, they are kept watered, and are mulched with a layer of newspaper wetted down and topped by hardwood mulch. What of the leaf thing? Is it too early to expect much vertical growth yet in my area? One of them is putting out a new leaf shoot on one side so that's encouraging.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    18 years ago

Is it too late to sow seed?

• Heather__Michigan
    18 years ago

Angiebug

Grow Moonflowers full sun and well drained soil, in your case clay would NOT be well drained soil. So probably growing them in pots would be best. They do just as well in medium sized pots but you will have to pay more attention to watering since pots dry out faster than the ground.
    Heather

• gw:mrs_micki
    17 years ago

I have some brown almost black moonflower seeds in my package,are these okay to plant? New at gardening. Thanks to anyone willing to take time to answer.It is such an awesome feeling when you receive beautiful results.

• backyardigan
    17 years ago

I planted some moonflowers about 2 weeks ago and still nothing has sprouted up. I nicked the seeds, it doesn't look as though anything dug them up, I really don't know what happened. We are really just getting our hottest days here this week in south central PA. Anyone with any tips?

17 years ago

is there anyone out there that is still a fan of moonflowers? I just planted my first moonflower seeds on Sunday morning, after soaking for 24 hrs. . Well here we are Thursday and I already have foliage sprouting. Like a new mom, had to call everyone to tell them.My family and friends are beginning to think I'm losing it.Still not sure on the fertilizing thing,neighbor across the street is a Michiagn State master gardner she said to just make sure roots and base of plants are covered with mulch or other plants.Kinda scared to listen to her though, received some offerings from her that had disease and it wiped out my hostas. Thanks for letting me share my excitement.Oh yeah,I planted my seeds in a circle and nicked them after the soaking,just before planting.

• krazykatz
    17 years ago

Wonderful! I just planted seeds about 2 weeks ago. I got 2 out of 10 and am trying to get the others to sprout. They are pesky little buggers. How did you plant yours? Did you get 100% germination? There are several threads about Moonflowers but most are old. Hope you have great luck with your new flowers!!! Keep me posted so I can see how yours do.

Rebecca

17 years ago

HI! Krazykatz, was beginning to wonder if I was the only one on this post.I soaked mine 24hrs.planted last Sunday[the28th] and today I looked and I have 5 out of 10 so far.I planted them in a half barrel with my morning glories,using manure and hummus mix soil.using a hint from another post about planting in a circle.Very new at gardening,not really sure half the time if I'm doing it right or not.Just making sure I journal everything I do.I have been watering everyother day,we have had alot of rain so I'm kinda judging by my other flowers and plants.The only thing I am worried about are the rabbits,so I've been sprinkling a little cayenne pepper in the planter.Did this with my tulips and the little critters stayed away.Wish i new more to tell you.The only thing I have heard is not to fertilze, the more you fertilize the more foliage you will have.Last year when I planted my morning glories I ucsed bloom booster,vines and leaves everywhere.Don't think I seen my first bloom until late july.So this year I'm gonna let nature take it's course and with alittle help we will have beauty. Sorry so long,it's like finding a new friend.Being none of my other friends like to garden like I do. Best wishes and happy vining to you,please let me know how your flowers are coming along also. Micki

• ritaotay
    17 years ago

Ok, now I'm totally confused... This year I went to the spring perennial plant exchange, in April, and a lady gave me some thorny seed pods which she said were Moon flowers... A few weeks later I tossed 20 or so loose seeds in a big pot and the squirrels promptly dug them up... I put some more in the pot along with one whole seed pod and covered the pot with chicken wire... lol

Low and behold, EVERY single seed has sprouted... I didn't soak them or anything else, just tossed them in the pot, smoothed out the soil and watered... I left the pot on the cement patio until they started sprouting then moved the pot to the corner garden... Since then I've been pulling out seedlings, trying to thin them out to 5 or 6 plants but they just keep sprouting...

Now I'm wondering if they truly are Moon flower... The seeds pods are sorta oval, about 3 inches long and have picky things all around and has a small 'crown' where the stem is... The top of the pods opened into 4 sections and curled downward... The seeds themselves are black and oddly shaped, about the size of the o's at the top of the screen in the words 'log out'.... The leaves on the seedlings started out long, skinny and oval... The bigger plants, about 8 inches high, have four leaves at the top, one that's long and oval and three that are different sizes and sorta resemble poinsettia leaves... Do I have a Moon Flower???

Rita

• pitbullt
    17 years ago

Ritaotay
    does not sound like you have the bush type called Datura
    those seed pods are balls with spines sticking out from them, you brake those open to reveal hundreds of seeds that resemble those you find inside green peppers
    Hope this helps,

Hi,
    My name is Ted and I am new to this web site, but it does look like the place to be. I am retired and not too much of a gardener, but I am learning.

MOON FLOWERS , as far as I know are basically two types, The vine like Morning Glory called Ipomoea, and a small plant, some are calling a bush, that grows about 2+ feet in height with equal width called Datura. It is the latter than I am familiar with.

I purchased a pot containing three plants two years ago and was amazed at the large white flowers that opened at night, I live in central New Jersey and no one in my neighborhood had ever had any and everyone wanted one. Having a BROWN thumb I was certain that they would not last long, but they did, flower after flower until late fall.
    Each flower that dies formed a prickly ball type sphere that if left on the plant would split open and drop seeds.

I picked these pods as they turned brown but before they split open, brought them in the house and let them finish drying out. I then split open the pods and removed the hundreds of seeds, placing them in a plastic container that some Won Ton soup came in.
    They sat on top of my dishwasher, which is next to a window, all winter and up to early April.

I have a large pedestal type pot at my front door that we plant every spring with annuals, I told my wife I needed to use it before she planted. I mixed in some all purpose plant fertilizer in the old potting soil/top soil mixture that was left from the previous year and took about 20-25 seeds and just mashed them into the loose soil. Some could still be seen and others not when I was finished. I soaked/drowned the pot with so much water some of the seeds was floating on the water.

I soaked this pot daily until I could actually see little plants punching up in the dirt, at that time I just kept the dirt wet, not moist, but wet from then on. I harvested about 15-18 plants that are now about 1.5 feet high and growing. No I do not need all those plants, but not too shabby for Mr. Brown Thumb. I have given all but 4 away; Those 4 will give me more seeds than I will ever need for next year.

This unscientific method has worked for someone who could not grow rice in Japan for two years now. I hope it helps you. This is a plant, with large trumpet like white flowers.

If any of you have any seeds of different color flowers I would love to exchange some with you.

Regards
    Teddy P

• krazykatz
    17 years ago

Hey there Teddy I think you are the same Ted who sent me some Moonflower seeds? I have one HUGE plant that I think is a moonflower that sounds like Rita's seed pods. They are oval or circular with spikes comeing out of the top. The pod peels apart kinda like an orange but with no pulp in between the pieces. The seeds were stuck inside. They are all dark as well where as yours were light tan in color. Are they good? They are almost black in color. Is it just a different variety of Moonflower?

Rebecca

• ritaotay
    17 years ago

Rebecca, most of my seeds were black but there were some tan ones... They both produced plants... Mine are a light lilac with dark purple throats... I don't have much sun in my back yard so the plants only got a couple of feet high...

Rita

• west_texas_peg
    17 years ago

I have a Moon Flower bush in my back garden that is 6-7' across and over 4' tall; one night a week or so ago it had about 100 flowers on it.

Seed pods have thorns so I don't bother with them...just let them self seed. I never fertilize or water; no need. Do a Google search and you will see they are considered a weed in some places (Jimson Weed). Mine die back with the first freeze, but are back the next spring when the seeds that were self sown begin to grow. They have a huge tap root, my DH tried to pull one up and discovered that root went really DEEP! Our dog is small and she loves to go under our large Moon Flower looking for lizards who live in and under it.

I'm planning a Moon Garden for next year so I will take a couple of the seed pods and put where I want to start the bed. Now to decide whatelse to put in the bed.

Good luck with your Moon Flowers.

Peggy

• pitbullt
    17 years ago

Some of you may find this interesting
    It costs $10.00 for a year membership
    I just joined, well worth the 10 bucks,
    They do have non-member forums also that are free
    http://brugmansia.us/

A lot of good, but also a lot of mis-information
    For clarity
    Moonflowers are part of the nightshade family of plants
    ALL of them are poisonous, (lady with the little dog)
    They contain high concentrates of alkaloids

Anyway,
    Datura= Devils Trumpet, Thorn Apple, and a few other names
    Brugmansia=Angels Trumpet

Datura are pretty much bushes while,
    Brugmansia are vines often trimmed and shaped to form trees

There are a few different types of Datura, The most common in the US I believe is Datura Inoxia which yes is considered a weed (Jimson Weed)

There are also a few different types of Brugmansia

About planting the seeds, (Datura)Outdoors, leave Âem alone and they will reseed
    Above zone 7 they are perennial
    Below zone 7 annual that will reseed on their own

Brugs are another story entirely

Hope this helps

Ted

• west_texas_peg
    17 years ago

Ted,

Well, aware moon flower is poisonous. That is why I wear gloves when I handle the Thorn Berries, etc. Don't worry, the dog is not interested in the plant and seldom remains under the plant for long, just long enough to flush out the lizards.

I did not grow these when I had small children/grandchildren in my garden, mother-in-law did and this was her garden and her plant. I hate the smell of them (think I'm a little allergic), others love the smell. I do think the flowers are very pretty, especially when there are dozens on one plant. Next year I will have one in my cottage garden in my front beds. Didn't this year because DH was painting the front of our house (stomping on that bed).

Peggy

• neisha
    17 years ago

I have a question. This is my first year growing moonflowers and I noticed here the last couple of weeks that there are lots of ants on my moon flower and they seem to be very interested in the seed pods. I haven't sprayed the ants yet because I was wondering if the moonflower needs the ants like the peony plants do? Does any one know? ARe the ants helping the plant like they do the peony plant? Or do they need to be exterminated? Thanks, This is a great forum!

• kellygelly
    16 years ago

Planting Moonflowers is very new to me. This year I started two packs of seeds in doors in February. Needless to say I have one plant that survived and is planted in a container outside. It is about 5 inches tall with tons of leaves on it but still no blooms. I was told that moonflowers do well in East sun? But everything I've been reading has been saying West sun? How do I get my plant to grow and bloom? I know when I did grow morning glories that they really didn't start germinating on their own out side till June, and flowered till the end of July and August. Is this the same for moonflowers? Well someone, please fill me in with some pointers. I am really hoping to have a moonflower vine this summer. Oh and if any one was wondering my type of Moonflower is called Giant White calonyction. I'd really appreciate your advice. :D
    Thanks.

• bismuth
    16 years ago

Ipomoea alba does better facing east where I live, but it also needs shade during the afternoon, or constant watering. Experiment and adjust as needed.

And to answer the question of the poster before you (though the post is a year old), ants like the seedpods of Datura plants because of the nutritious elaiosomes on the seeds. They'll take the seeds back to their nest, eat the elaiosome, then discard the seed, allowing it to germinate in the rich refuse of the colony. It's just another way for the seed to get around.

• krishookie
    15 years ago

Hi All,

My neighbor and I planted these for the first time. The vines are healthy and upwards of 12ft. HOWEVER,(jealous) her vine is blooming and mine is not. I thought I had several dozen buds but they have not produced the spiral bud :( Through researching online and veiwing pics- it seems that what I thought were baby buds are really "unripened seed pods".I seem to have skipped a whole phase! LOL. What does this mean? No blooms ? Collect pods now? Please help- :)

• vicster_54
    15 years ago

I have been growing Moonflowers for over 5 years and too boot in the shade too! They only get morning sun for a couple of hours then it goes right into full shade. There is alot of leaves though, but they are very beautiful as well, just huge leaves. I also get loads of flowers as well in the evening.
    I have been growing them in a long planting box and continue to nourish them each year. That was up in Prince George, Bc, and the growing season is very short.
    I am looking forward to this year cause I now have moved down to the coast where the growing season is alot longer. And to be very honest, I am very excited to get going again...

• pammoonflower
    13 years ago

I was just wondering what the round prickly thing is on my moon flower vine?

• cricketblewis_mac_com
    12 years ago

How many days , from sprouting, does it take the Moonflower Vine to bloom?
    My seedlings, the few that made it...2 packs...8 survivors...are about 3" tall.
    Thanks.

• gerbera
    11 years ago

This thread is ancient, but I'm hoping someone will see my question. I have moonflower seeds germinating in a pot. They've all produced a root stem, but they keep popping up to ground level, so that the top of the seed pod is slightly exposed. I've kept putting a bit more dirt around the seeds that have done this (so far about five of them)...but I can't find any information about whether this is normal, or whether it's the result of the seeds being too shallow in the ground. Any clues would be much appreciated. I don't want to delay germination, but I am anxious that the seed pods could dry out if they're exposed to the light.

ps. I keep them moist but not wet, and they have a nice spot on my balcony with bright indirect light all day and full sun in the afternoon. That's the only spot they can have...so no morning sun available.

Any advice?

• ohsillyme
    11 years ago

The little seedling is trying to push itself up out of the dirt,,,dont put anymore dirt on it!! The seed itself is worn like a cap until the seedling leaves emerge and has the strength to push it off. does that even make sense? ..more coffee.

• liz62
    11 years ago

I was thinking of trying to grow moon flowers, it is almost the end of July so I don't think it would be a good idea to plant them now, they won't grow enough to bloom this year. Would it be possible to grow them inside like I did the morning glories? I don't have a lot of room and I would love to have some, they are beautiful! I also have a flourescent lamp that I use all the time, would it help out? I could use some advice, I live in zone 6.

• myexplodingcat
    11 years ago

I'm resurrecting this thread for a question.

I'm trying to grow a moonflower or two indoors over the winter as houseplants and take them outside when the weather gets warm again. I know my bedroom is warm enough--warmer than the rest of the house. My question is: Do moonflowers keep inside well? I can deal with giant vines, but I'm concerned about the health of the plant itself.

For reference, if anyone wants it:

I had no trouble starting my moonflower. I soaked three seeds in some tap water in a little dish filled with pop can tabs (to keep them submerged). After that, I let them sit in my west window on some damp garden soil, and they took off. When they ALL cracked open (which I was not expecting), I transferred them to separate pots gently before the roots could grow out.

One has rotted and been discarded, and one is growing very slowly, but the third has taken off like a shot. They're being watered with filtered water from the kitchen sink--no fertilizer, nothing really special--and being grown in ceramic seedling pots, which have drainage holes. There's a plastic bag or a glass dish under each.

I didn't think to nick them, only did what the package said and soaked them. The soil is pretty fertile, but from what I've read, they don't really care. The filtered water thing is important for any plant, though. Salt from the water softener isn't good for plants.

I have most of my experience from starting seeds for my veggie garden. I happen to be pretty good with vines--cucumbers, morning glories, squash... actually, the way I grow tomatoes, they're almost like vines themselves unless we get them on trellises. What can I say? Iowa summers and lots of rain (or good sprinklers) do that.

Also, if my cat thinks he's going to eat these, I'll have to give them to my neighbor. Hope he doesn't. He's not a big plant eater, but still.

Hailing from Iowa, Zone 5, by the Mississippi River
    --Rebekah, 15

• marty48
    11 years ago

Is it a good idea to keep plastic on the pots that have seeds in them? I have two seedlings that have come up and several more soaking, I have 4 soaking between a coffee filter and paper towel, put into a saucer and put in a plastic baggie, I have left it open should I close it or just leave it open. How can you get the greenhouse effect for the seeds I have already planted? I have plastic on all the pots except the one that has the seedlings in it. I have a heating pad but it is a moist/dry one from Wal-Marts, would it be alright to put the two pots on it that have the seeds in them? I would put them on the pellet stove but am afraid it would bake them, the heating pad is beginning to sound better and better.

• flowerpedal
    10 years ago

I just planted my moonflower ( in full sun ) but then I was told that I should have slowly introduced it to the sun or it could cook it :O( Is this true??

• kmnovak69
    6 years ago

How can I save my moonflower to re-plant in the spring

• slycontainer
    6 years ago

moonflowers produce pods that have at least 100 seeds. If you just plant them early spring you'll have a full-grown plant that lasts all summer and until it freezes. Anyone wanting to exchange plants for a pod, not just 10 seeds, an entire pod, I'll exchange for any plant, preferably perennial vines. The attached picture is

ONE plant that maybe got watered 5 times in North Texas this last summer and lasted until the temperature got below freezing. Wherever the plant grew the year before the seeds will produce another plant the next year. I have many pods from this one plant. Plenty to share with all!

• Candace Seaton
    5 years ago

Lordy, please use Latin names..that's what God made Google for.

• francescakishfy
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I was given a piece of moon flower from neighbor... I live in northern NJ... I put it in ground that’s it! They reproduce every year and I find a new plant somewhere in my yard!! Nothing on internet tells you they are that invasive. I had to pull out an entire area in front of my above ground pool for fear of tubers ( they are very long and can get quite big) growing under pool. Anyway they are so beautiful but I caution you they will reseed anywhere! The nut balls are filled with seeds! If they open up they will grow wherever they fall!!! So as long as you pull them ( all of root) you should get many years of lovely fragrant blooming night flowers! Another caution they are poisonous if ingested!!! Good luck!!!

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional