Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
divaelpaso

shady moonflowers

divaelpaso
21 years ago

Has anyone successfuly grown Moonflowers in Part shade?

I have plants to transplant in my Mother's yard (part of Mother's Day gift) and I don't want her to have a disappointing "display".

kimberly

Comments (12)

• Nynavey
    20 years ago

I planted a seedling a friend gave me last summer in the yard, part shade/part sun, and did absolutely nothing to it. It grew amazingly fast and was very impressive.

• divaelpaso
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Did it requie fertilizer? I've read that they need more water than morning glories is this true?

• seedy_z5
    20 years ago

Last year I planted some in full sun and some in part shade. And I was surprised when the part shade ones did better.

I fertilized both sporadically and the same amount. The part shade one was in an area that retained moisture better. It was also next to the compost bin.

For what it's worth.

• divaelpaso
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks for the replies! I read that moon flowers need more water than morning glories. Is this true? Also, I've read that MG's do better in poor dry soil un-fertilized. Is this true for Moon Flowers?
    Seedy - Did the part shade and the sun "ones" get the same amount of fertilizer?
    On the seed package, it said that it would take 120 days until bloom, so I want to fertilize or not fertilize to get the "BEST SHOW" ! :)
    I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas!
    Kimberly

• loves_roses
    20 years ago

120 days? 4 months, huh? Let us know how they do. Mine are in full sun. I planted 2 packages of seeds, and half came up. They're like 3-4 inches high now. I'm excited.
    Good luck to you!

• divaelpaso
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks Loves Roses and good luck to you as well! I hope the Moonflowers are as large and as fragrant as "they" say! If they are, they are well worth the wait!

• Jan_Hobbs
    20 years ago

I don't think that it will take 120 days for the moonflowers to bloom.....I planted some last summer at our campground and had them running up the front of the bathhouse trellis. All our campers and canoers were very impressed.....they bloomed from July up to frost. I started them indoors early, but couldn't put them out before the middle or late May here. Mine were in partial shade, too. Don't know where they got the 120 days from.....Maybe all yours will do the same as mine last summer....good luck. I just started seeds soaking today for this year....I know I'm kinda late, but maybe I'll get a few blossoms. I used sheep manure under mine last year, BTW.
    Jan

• divaelpaso
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hi Jan,
    Do you think the moonflowers will do well in containers? (Large "root system"?) (I'm a Balcony Gardener)
    Also, do the vines get really thick, from what I understand, they are usually about 1/4" thick. If that's true, I'm going to have to find some added "support"!

• Ruiadh
    20 years ago

FWIW, I've planted moonflowers in containers for the past 3 years and had them do just fine. I use those plastic nursery pots, about 8 inches in diameter and 10" deep. The pots are either propped against a latticed fence or I attach twine from the pot to the base of a trellis nailed to the fence.

• divaelpaso
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks Ruiadh!
    I've heard that the Moonflowers sometimes "behave" as perenials. Do they come back for you or do you sow seeds every year? Do you over-winter them?
    Kimberly

• seedy_z5
    20 years ago

Whoops--very belated reply. Sorry!

I'm not very disciplined about feeding the flowers, but I'd say it's extremely likely that the moonflowers in the sun and the ones in the part-shade got the same amount and type of fertilizer. However, the ones in the part-shade are planted right next to the compost bin--which may be the critical difference!

I've never had them come back, even though I've made a point of spilling seeds on the ground in the fall.

• divaelpaso
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I STILL have NO Moon Flowers. I've got vines, vines, and more VINES! What is the trick to these?

Sponsored