Return to the Moon Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moon flower seeds, seedlings

Posted by ciaobella Wisconsin (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 25, 05 at 16:32

I had my first moonflowers in '03, seedlings given by friend. Last year I could not recognize the seedlings when they came up from reseeding (I know some did because I did save one or two), and accidentally pulled them as weeds. So that is one issue I need help with--how to recognize seedlings, especially in a not very well weeded garden. Other thing is can I harvest and start seeds now, after pods have hung on plants all winter in zone 4? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moon flower seeds, seedlings

Mine germinated in the garden, self-sown just yesterday, here in zone 7 NC! They are easy to recognize. The white outer seed coat is still intact the first couple days after gemination, clinging to the tip of the seedling. The seedling leaves are large and wrinkled-looking like a brain, before they shed the seed coat and open up. When open, each seedling leaf is large, about a square inch, and shaped like a butterfly. They are unusual enough to stand out.

o
RE: moon flower seeds, seedlings

You could grow your own from seed then take a pic with your digital camera and save it on your computer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moon Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here