Return to the Moon Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moonflowers open during Daytime??

Posted by whitejade z5 MI (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 25, 05 at 17:19

I have some moonflower vines growing in a semi large container indoors (sunny southern window! ) and it has just begun to flower, on Earth Day , as a matter of fact (which I thought was auspicious :) Well today I noted two more flowers that were going to open - and just looked at them (4:45 pm, and it's still very light here until 8 : 30 pm!) and they are both opened / opening already! What gives? Does this happen with this flower frequently? I have only grown them outdoors for two years now so I don't have a ton of experience with this plant but I do know none of those opened before dark..WELL into the dark in fact, like 10 or even 11 pm here . Anyone have daytime openings like this?? Maybe growing them indoors confuses things (?) ....I do know that I am in heaven to be able to smell their exquisite scent in April :) (planted the seeds on February 8th) .....I feel lucky...and also, they are FULL sized flowers, fully 6 inches across with that gorgeous long tubular beginning.

thanks in advance,
Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moonflowers open during Daytime??

I have moonflower seedlings, big seedlings in my kitchen but do not have anything remotely close to buds/flowers yet but I am so looking forward to seeing them bloom. How tall are yours? I have one that is about 6-7 inches now. I plan on planting it with my Grandpa Otts morning glories. I'm also glad to hear that they smell that good!

o

Hi Linda,

Mine are really tall...they have climbed all the way up the 7 foot tall bamboo poles I placed when I planted the seeds (it was an 8 foot pole but 12 inches are buried in the pot) and are in the process of flailing around in the air , twining together and simply ignoring the horizontal pole we've placed for them so they can run along the window. They don't seem to understand "horizontal" as they run into this pole regularly during their daytime movements but don't want to latch onto it ....they are happy to just hang in the air though I've noticed!

I can set my watch to them - they start opening around 4:40 pm here....so perhaps it is the indoors environment that is throwing off their timing....

o

Mine open in the evening as well as on very cloudy/overcast days. I had them in a pot and they went wild -bent themselves over and rooted into the ground next to the pot.
They have a nice fragrance and like to climb on the nearby shrubs and roses.

o

Another moonflower bud opening up this one during the day, it is a cloudy,cool day so it decided to open up before dark. I just am glad they decided to grow and bloom for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moon Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here