Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maude_ia

Where Do You Sit?

Maude_IA
21 years ago

A moon garden sounds lovely, but I'm wondering whether those of you who have them prefer to sit In the garden, or somewhere else where you can view the garden.

Do you have a screened area? or use other methods of keeping the mosquitos away?

Comments (7)

• marquest
    21 years ago

I sit on the upper balcony looking down. I have the citronella candles flickering. I do not have any bug problems. Also have a small pond with fish. I think the candles really do work.

This year I am going to put a gazebo off to the side in the garden. I will see if the candles still work if I am sitting down low.

• lizzylu
    21 years ago

I look out my second floor window into my garden.If something doesn't look good from there it's gone. Winter moonlight seems the best so far in my location. I ventured out there one night to walk in the moonlight. All the noises from dark corners creaped me out and I ran back inside. We have skunks visiting sometimes.

• odonata_va
    20 years ago

I sit on the porch or I fire up the twig burner (Chimera) and go sit out in the garden. I used to get freaked out too. I found if you go for a walk on the path in the woods just at dusk and then go sit for awhile as it gets dark, its not as scary. Took me a year of moonlight sitting to actually go sit out in the woods part of the garden in the middle of the night. And yes Im covered with mosquito bites.. If you sit very still sometimes the opposums will come up close to see what you are. I have a 2-way radio that I carry with me so I can call my husband if something should happen. (help ive fallen and cant get up!) Its kind of neat once you get used to it. There are mushrooms out there that GLOW in the dark. I also like looking at the moonbeams through the trees.

• platasil
    20 years ago

My moon garden is composed of the area surrounding a bed of white rocks in the shape of a moon. The white rocks are very reflective at night, I have two white chairs and a small table sitting within the bed of rocks. All kinds of fragrant moon garden plants and herbs surrounding the rock area--so i like to sit in the garden and smell the flowers--its a very sensory experience.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    20 years ago

Under the umbrella when the moon's not out, or under the moon when it is, on the patio, at the table right next to it. There's a barrier of roses inbetween me and it right now. Underplanting the roses are night stocks. There are containers with flowers in them and herbs alongside the wall behind me. Its fragrant with one thing or another. Makes for a good meal, ended with a glass of whatever you were drinking, enjoyed while looking at the beautiful Moonvine and night phlox blowing in the breeze. Still trying to think of hardscapes to add which will help me see it. Mirrors? I like the mirror stepping stone idea and its stuck in my head now.

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    20 years ago

I have a little screen porch off the back of the house. The moon garden is right outside it so the sents can waft in. It has big sliding windows so I can use it in the beginning and end of the season for slightly tender stuff. I would like to put some skylites in for more light though. Used to have patio type furnature in the screen porch, but now I moved a couch out there and I find I use it a lot more. Sometimes I even sleep there.

• Jackie McCarty
    20 years ago

if i ever get to build a house, the one thing i want is a sleeping porch. i think that is a great idea! and i can have my moon garden around it.

jackie/STROBE

turning_into_dust@yahoo.com
    gardenwebgirlie@hotmail

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County