Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nopets

trying the moonflowers inside again

nopets
10 years ago

I thought I would try to grow moonflowers indoors again, my neighbor that I gave one has had his bloom several times. I have planted two in the same pot and then today transplanted one seedling into another pot. Here is the one that came up first.

Comments (17)

• nopets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

updated picture of the monflower in the picture window.

• vera_eastern_wa
    9 years ago

Not sure if you mean you are hoping to grow them indoors full-time or? I have started these indoors this year as well and is the first time I've ever got them to actually germinate...YEAH! I sowed the seeds on Feb. 17 and got 3 seedlings within two weeks time. I potted them up into 32oz containers and have had them now in bud for at least the last month. A few buds are getting ready to start opening any day now....possibly even today!!
    We have a rather short growing season here in the central Idaho mountains....Clearwater Mountains to be specific....and just was hoping to get a head start. I was soooooooooo not expecting flowering to start so early since reading so many posts regarding late blooming if at all. I haven't done anything special, but am wondering if the small containers may some how be forcing them? Am going to go for a slightly similar circumstance for when I get ready to take them outdoors....hmmm
    Also the window sill where they sit is not getting all that great of light....maybe 3-4 hours of direct light at most and they look very healthy. The leader tips were pinched shortly after budding and several new vines are underway; leaves are dark green and big :)

Enjoy your Moonflower Vines!

Vera

• nopets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are two moonvine plants and several morning glories too, the area where the axis of the vine for the moonvine is purple and it is growing very good, this is in the picture window and I put a string so it could vine to its heart content, could that be buds getting ready to come on? It looks like a little leaf and the color IS purple, here is the picture, the next pic is the top half.

• nopets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the top half, as you can see they have branched out several times, you can't see the purple that I was telling you about in these pics, but how much bigger do you think it will get? I don't fertilize it at all just water when it looks dry and only from the bottom. It is now July 1, how much longer before it blooms or can anyone tell me?

• nopets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a picture of one of the large leaves of my moonflower plant that is in the window, will the flowers be that big even if they are inside? And just when can I expect buds, and where on the vine will they appear, along the vine or at the top?

• nopets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The moonflowers have taken over the livingroom window, here is where they are now. I hope they do bloom, they sure like the area where they are, there is no way I could even move them now. They are above the curtain, so hopefully they won't get too much taller.

• nopets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am wondering, what do the moonflower buds look like when they start? I have some things on my vine that look kind of strange, can anyone tell me if these are buds or more leaves? If they are buds I am going to have a LOT of flowers, I hope so.

• nopets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hope this is a moonflower bud coming up, it is not like any I have seen on these plants yet. Took it with my hubby's camera because his takes closer pictures without being fuzzy.

• nopets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Success! After trying and retrying and retrying, I have a moonflower bud! I am so happy about that and also my feet won't touch the ground when it blooms, I will surey take pics of the bloom. If anyone tells you that it is impossible to grow moonflowers indoors, you can show them this picture and the one of the bloom when it opens. Can someone tell me when it is going to open?

• nopets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Moonflower bud as of Sept.5, 2014, could someone tell me when they think it is going to open? A neighbor who had one said it would in 3 or 4 days, in that case it will be HUGE!

• nopets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here it is opened up all the way, I took it at night because it is more striking then. I have 4 more buds and I am going to try to string it out further into the living room, I have a hook in the ceiling and there is a vine that is already on the ceiling and I am going to try to tie a string on it and on the nail above the curtain rod and see if it will find it.

• brooklynbonnie
    9 years ago

Looks great and of normal bloom size too. Congratulations! My outdoor moon flowers are just about done for the season, with mostly seed pods now to watch grow.

• nopets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have about 4 more buds growing, I did not think it would bloom at all and then here it was, I am going to get more pics when the others bloom, I hope to see just how long I can keep the vines alive. We have a storm window that we put up at the picture window but I don't know if the vines would get enough heat and sun there and I sure can't move it now! More pics to follow.

• nopets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are two more buds, they are both growing at the same time! I will either have two that bloom together or close to the same time, I am so happy that I had one bud bloom, I was not expecting more. I guess my grandmother did leave me her green thumb! Thanks grandma!!! God bless her soul, she was a great influence in my life and I sure do miss her when a particular flower gives me trouble, she was someone I could go to when I had a plant question. I know she would have loved the moonflower bloom.

• nopets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here is the other one.

• nopets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is one of them opening now, it kind of surprised me. It is only 4:25 p.m. and it is opening!

• nopets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here it is! I never get over how beautiful they are and how good they smell!

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County