Return to the Moon Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trying the moonflowers inside again

Posted by nopets 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 20:46

I thought I would try to grow moonflowers indoors again, my neighbor that I gave one has had his bloom several times. I have planted two in the same pot and then today transplanted one seedling into another pot. Here is the one that came up first.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trying the moonflowers inside again

updated picture of the monflower in the picture window.

o

Not sure if you mean you are hoping to grow them indoors full-time or? I have started these indoors this year as well and is the first time I've ever got them to actually germinate...YEAH! I sowed the seeds on Feb. 17 and got 3 seedlings within two weeks time. I potted them up into 32oz containers and have had them now in bud for at least the last month. A few buds are getting ready to start opening any day now....possibly even today!!
We have a rather short growing season here in the central Idaho mountains....Clearwater Mountains to be specific....and just was hoping to get a head start. I was soooooooooo not expecting flowering to start so early since reading so many posts regarding late blooming if at all. I haven't done anything special, but am wondering if the small containers may some how be forcing them? Am going to go for a slightly similar circumstance for when I get ready to take them outdoors....hmmm
Also the window sill where they sit is not getting all that great of light....maybe 3-4 hours of direct light at most and they look very healthy. The leader tips were pinched shortly after budding and several new vines are underway; leaves are dark green and big :)

Enjoy your Moonflower Vines!

Vera

o

Here are two moonvine plants and several morning glories too, the area where the axis of the vine for the moonvine is purple and it is growing very good, this is in the picture window and I put a string so it could vine to its heart content, could that be buds getting ready to come on? It looks like a little leaf and the color IS purple, here is the picture, the next pic is the top half.

o

Here is the top half, as you can see they have branched out several times, you can't see the purple that I was telling you about in these pics, but how much bigger do you think it will get? I don't fertilize it at all just water when it looks dry and only from the bottom. It is now July 1, how much longer before it blooms or can anyone tell me?

o

This is a picture of one of the large leaves of my moonflower plant that is in the window, will the flowers be that big even if they are inside? And just when can I expect buds, and where on the vine will they appear, along the vine or at the top?

o

The moonflowers have taken over the livingroom window, here is where they are now. I hope they do bloom, they sure like the area where they are, there is no way I could even move them now. They are above the curtain, so hopefully they won't get too much taller.

o

I am wondering, what do the moonflower buds look like when they start? I have some things on my vine that look kind of strange, can anyone tell me if these are buds or more leaves? If they are buds I am going to have a LOT of flowers, I hope so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moon Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here