Return to the Moon Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moon lore, gardening

Posted by loves_roses z8 GA (My Page) on
Mon, May 26, 03 at 8:19

MOON MAGIC by Lori Reid
I'm not saying this is true or not, but I thought y'all would be interested.

Quick Tips

ANNUALS: Begin planting the day aqfter the New Moon and up to the day before the 1st Quarter, when the Moon is in a fertile or semi-fertile sign. This will help plants to make short, shallow-lying roots and to establish themselves speedily.

BIANNUALS AND PERENNIALS: Begin planting the day after FullMoon and end on the day before the Last Quarter, when the moon is in a fertile or semi-fertile sign. This will help plants to establish themselves slowly and to develop long, strong roots.

WEEDING: Weeding and hoeing are best done between the Last Quarter and the New Moon, when the moon is in a barren sign. Avoid times when the moon is in a fruitful sign -- your weeding efforts won't last for very long.

SOIL CULTIVATION: Digging, plowing, or tilling the soil should be carried out with the decreasing moon and when the moon is in a barren sign, or the weeds will spring up again alltoo quickly.

TRANSPLANTING: Always transplant when the moon is increasing, between the New and Full Moons, and during a fertile moon sign.

GRAFTING: Grafts take best when the sap is rising and therefore when the Moon is waxing.

Want to hear more? Does anyone get in to all this? I have more to share if y'all are interested.
I don't know how much stock I put in it all, but it's cool to read about.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moon lore, gardening

I like this kind of stuff, 'tho I don't always follow the rythms. I'd like to hear more garden lore. What is your source? Do you have reference books that you could point me to or do you just kinka know it/grew up with it? Is the first line in yer post MOON MAJIC by Lori Reid a book or is it you? sorry I'm dense sometimes.

I know there is a relationship btx the moon and the earth and us kritters that abode here upon. Through emperical evidence we (some friends and I) have experimented and found it to be so...

Anyway, looking forward to further tid-bits.

o

• Posted by STROBE zn 7b BHAM, AL (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 28, 03 at 2:07

im interested. please post more moon lore! i love this kind of stuff.

Jackie/STROBE

o

When is it best to take cuttings?

o

I am interested as well...

o

This is commonly called 'planting by the moon', or 'gardening by the moon' or 'garden astronomy'. It is probably as old as gardening itself.

The Old Farmer's Almanac has interesting info on it:
http://www.almanac.com/astronomy/

Here is a link that might be useful: The Old Farmer's Almanac

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moon Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here