Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soinspired_gw

Moonflowers in central Indiana

soinspired
14 years ago

In reading the recent post "Moonflower blooms" from Gail who lives in northwest Indiana, she had several questions regarding her moon flowers. I though I'd start a new thread.

I live in central Indiana and my neighbor has them growing everywhere each year. She never reseeds or replants them as they come up voluntarily each year. They even come up across the road in a small ravine! She has given me starts from them but I cannot seem to make them flourish. I will continue my efforts though as I would love to have some growing by my garden gates.

Its amazing how someone can grow something without any attention to it and another can't make it flourish with the best of care!

Comments (5)

• gaedtke2
    14 years ago

i started moonflowers from seed this year in my basement at the end of march. mine have climbed to about four feet, but show no signs of blooming. the rest of my moon garden looks great though

• wally_1936
    13 years ago

I have the same problem here in Texas with my Moonflower vines, but I have seen pictures of them growing wild in Utah and Colorado in the mountain areas. I guess we just have to keep trying.

• jamiestdr
    13 years ago

Hi! I live in central Indiana also, and I planted my moon flowers this past June, and I am already getting blooms, I guess I'm lucky b/c I didn't germinate the seeds or anything, just planted them in front of my house and they're growing wildly and are so beautiful! I have a couple of questions though....
    I have these buds that bloom in the morning and close in the afternoon...they aren't on the vines, but they are a part of the whole plant itself...they are light yellow with a burgundy center and are about 1 inch in diameter...so these bloom in the mornig and the moon flowers bloom in the evening...it is really cool, but i am really curious to see if anyone has had this in their moon garden before?
    Thank You all for your help and info! :)
    I can send pics of the little yellow flowers if anyone would like to see them? They weren't there before I planted the moon flowers, and they're growing right along with the vines, but they're not a part of the vine, but a part of the whole plant itself....it's so weird! lol!

• wally_1936
    13 years ago

One thing I did forget to say was I got my seeds from my brother who lives in Colorado so I know they bloom there for sure.

• Matt Conner
    9 years ago

I wish mine would come back every year lol. Last year was my first attempt at growing them. I sowed them late in the season and only got 2 or 3 blooms by September or October. I already have 3 pretty good size ones so far this year and planted about 7 more a few days ago. Doesn't take long to germinate them but I still wish mine would come back yearly

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals