Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgiaclarice

Forgot to soak moonflower/morning glory seeds before planting!

georgiaclarice
19 years ago

I, a seed planting newbie, planted a bunch of moonflower, mixed with morning glory seeds, yesterday. I just followed the instructions on the package, which did not say anything about soaking. I see on the web that many people recommend soaking the moonflower seeds before putting in the ground. Did I mess up? Will they still come up?

Thanks in advance, I am very excited to have some of these flowers and hope I did not err.

Comments (10)

• BUPython
    19 years ago

Georgia,

They should still come up. The first moonflower vines I planted without soaking still came up much quicker than I thought they would. Just take care of 'em, and you should be fine.

• georgiaclarice
    Original Author
    19 years ago

That's good to know, thanks. I thought I had really messed up. We had a warm sunny day here today (high 79), and it is supposed to rain for the next few days but be in the high 80s. I am hoping that the combination of heat and rain will encourage germination.

Thanks!

• georgiaclarice
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Does anybody else have thoughts/advice to share? Not much happening with my seed plantings so far... How long does it usually take til you see a sprout?

• arora_shilpa
    19 years ago

They come out very fast.Here is what i would suggest as I did that myself.Try checking out the seeds. If they haven't rotten, you can soak them for 24hrs and nick and sow them again.It worked for me.
    All the best.
    Shilpa

• Murphette
    19 years ago

I planted my seeds, no nicks, no soaking, and every single seeds came up in about 2 weeks. I was surprised, especially after reading that so many people have a hard time with these. I kept mine indoors until they were about 6 inches in height, then transplanted them into a larger container, which is now outside. They are doing fabulous. About 2 feet in height, and the vines are just climbing away. I absolutely love it!!!!! I have learned that they love to be watered, and will wilt if they become dry. I wish you much success. I'm looking forward to when they bloom, and keeping my fingers crossed that they continue to do as well as they are.

• georgiaclarice
    Original Author
    19 years ago

You are all so nice to write with advice. Thank you!

I do not think I can dig up the moonflower seeds because I mixed them in with white morning glory seeds, and I would disturb the little morning glories sprouts that I just found tonight (VERY exciting -- I have never grown from seed before, it's amazing how easily they come up, and how much cheaper it is than buying plants at the nursery!).

I think I will just have to patient and wait to see what happens with the moonflowers. It's only been a week.

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

My moonflowers germinated much more slowly than basic morning glories. But then - this huge wrinkled dinosaur rears its head and off we go.

• georgiaclarice
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yes, that is exactly what happened! The moonflowers are coming up now, just fine, but slower than the morning glories. And it is like big wrinkled head coming out of the ground. I can't wait to watch them grow. Thanks all! Morale of the story: you don't HAVE to soak before you plant, tho I think I lucked out with some really hot weather and good moistness soon after I put them in the ground.

• adair_2008
    16 years ago

Has anyone tried soaking in hydrogen peroxide and water to speed up the germination of the seeds ?

• caspergardener
    15 years ago

I planted moon flower seed about three weeks ago and some of them came up grew to about two inches high and turned brown and died before i got a chance to plant them in the ground. the other seeds did not grow at all. what did i do wrong i soaked them and nicked them kept them in the house in the little greenhouse you get from walmart and took the cover off when the leaves touched the top. Should I check the seeds that didn't grow for rot or should I just leave them alone. I think i need to start over with new seeds if i do should i do anything different? I started morning glorys at the same time and they seem to be small and only half of those came up. I live in zone six in CT i don't know if that makes any difference.

Sponsored