Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
murphette_gw

When to expect my moonflower to bloom

Murphette
19 years ago

I'm curious ..... I started my Moonflowers in a 5" container, around the end of March, and transplanted to a 14" container about 4 weeks ago. Since then, I moved them outdoors, in a very sunny location. The vines seem to be doing quite well. Just yesterday, I noticed several small buds. At least thats what they appear to be. This is my first time planting Moonflowers, or actually, any type of flower. I really wasn't expecting my MF to bloom until mid to late summer. Thought I read somewhere that MF do not bloom right away. Does anyone know the approximate time it takes from seed to blooms for Moonflowers? If these are, in fact, buds on my MF, is this unusually early? The buds are quite small... about 1" in height. That's a guess. Although the overall height of my Moonflowers in the container, are approximately 2 1/2 Feet. Given the ratio, I guess I shouldn't expect the buds to be much than what they are. I'm sure as my MF gets larger, I can also expect larger buds/Flowers.

Thanks for your help.

Murphette

P.S. I really find this forum to be quite helpful, although I've noticed that its not as active as some of the other forums. I'm hoping more people post. :)They sure don't know what they're missing, huh?

Comments (22)

• Vallari
    19 years ago

I grew some MF last summer in containers and if I remember correctly they bloomed around mid June and I started the seeds around the same time as you. However, I lived in a condo at the time and they got less sun than was necessary. When they finally bloomed they were huge flowers and smelled so beautiful. I have some started now in my new backyard but they are growing very slowly. My soil is awful. Oh well, have to worry about that next year and hope for the best for now.

• austinl
    19 years ago

I'd say late June or early July, depending on when you started your seeds.

• Newtownards38
    19 years ago

My moon flower seed package said they take about 84 days to bloom. I planted my around the same time you did and I also have buds about an inch long. I thnk 84 days is right because the buds take quite some time to mature to about 3-5 inches long. I hope that helps!

• JustJoeyGirl
    19 years ago

Thanks for the post, I had the same question. My MF plant is 8 - 10 feet now, and it has branched a few times. ( I have several vines growing up through bayberry shrubs. One has outgrown the shrub and I have a leader heading into a nearby lilac.) I was wondering when I was going to start to see buds or flowers. This is my first time growing them. I posted earlier in this forum asking where to look for the buds. I haven't seen any yet. I haven't really fed them other than the general compost/mild granular fertilizer I put on the ground in early spring. Should I be feeding them?

• Murphette
    Original Author
    19 years ago

From what I've heard from others and have read, MF should not be fertilized. Fertilizing them will reduce the number of blooms and will be more leafy. I'm sure it's only a matter of time until you see buds. Good luck to you!!

• JustJoeyGirl
    19 years ago

Thanks, I hope fertilizing in the spring didn't create more foliage and less blooms. I did it before I planned on putting in moonflowers... thanks for the encouragement.

• JustJoeyGirl
    19 years ago

I am getting antsy. I see lots of great foliage, but no buds..Is it normal for the vine to branch and send out new vines at the leaf axils? Or could that be a sign of being fertilized? If this vine puts out a bud at each axil, I'll fall down dizzy..This vine is huge! It has about three main vines and they are about 10 to 12 feet each with hundreds of leaf axils.. I sure hope it wasn't planted in soil that is too fertile. I say it, but I have several, one is really taking off though, a little more sun, I think. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

• merriss
    19 years ago

JustJoeyGirl..water..water..water..that will really help more than anything. I also give mine a "dose" of Rapid Bloom or coffee grounds when I get antsy! that will help them pop open. Your vines may be large because they get more sun than some do. Mine get huge and that is just fine with me. You will be rewarded with many blooms and for a longer period.

• JustJoeyGirl
    19 years ago

I can't wait!!!!! Usually this time of year has me on the decline when it comes to gardening..the orientals are over (thanks to the creatures that ate them) not much happens in the middle of summer here except some dahlias and mums and hibiscus..August was a slow month for me. Last year I planned for that, and I have lots of stuff still to come, so I am being carried away with anticipation throught he whole summer. Right now, I really am anticipating the moonflowers....I think I will jump for joy when I see some buds.. does anything eat moonflower buds?

• JoEllen
    19 years ago

you all might know - are moonflowers photo sensitive? I finally got my first bloom this week. I haven't seen them opening at dusk like I should. I went out last night, 10pm - no flowers. But some were opening UNDER the porch. There is a streetlight right in front of my house, illuminating my front yard. Will that affect how the flowers bloom?

• nopets
    9 years ago

So is 84 days the max to hold out for? I just planted 6 today, 5 outside in the ground and 1 in a pot inside. I am in zone 6, and it has been doing nothing but rain, do you think they have a chance, I soaked them for 2 days and they were sprouting when I planted them. Any advice would be helpful.

• brooklynbonnie
    9 years ago

I soaked and then planted mine sometime in April. I moved them outside after a couple weeks, when they were about 2 inches tall, still in April I think. Now they are about 3 feet tall and no sign of buds but I think we had a cool Spring and it slowed them down.

A few years ago I grew some on my balcony in Tokyo and I remember I planted them sometime in Spring, probably about late April, early May I think, and I had flowers by late August and early September. They did seem to take forever!

• nopets
    9 years ago

Moonflower popped up in corner of trellis beside the house, also moonflower in front yard next to morning glory tower. I soaked both seeds until they had teeny tiny roots coming out then I planted them and actually forgot about them until I saw them today, hopefully they will bloom for me this year.

• nopets
    9 years ago

moonflower next to the morning glory tower, they looked awfully dry so I waited for it to get a little cooler, for the sun to go down a little bit then I watered them, did I do the right thing? Do they require a lot of water even if they are in containers?

• brooklynbonnie
    9 years ago

I water mine (moon flowers and morning glories) in containers and the ground whenever they look wilted or if I notice the soil is completely dry (even if not wilted). Probably better not to wet the leaves much if the sun is still on them.

Update on original question; on mine I noticed a large bud growing a week or two ago, and recently noticed a few more starting already, and I'm very surprised. I may have a bloom before August this year!

• nopets
    9 years ago

Well, the one in the picture is now gone, something bit the leaves right off the plant. But the ones in the picture window and in the corner by the lattice are growing quite well, here are the ones in the corner of the lattice.

• nopets
    9 years ago

This is one of the leaves on the ones in the picture window, is it possible for moonflowers to take over and smother morning glory vines?

• plessc
    8 years ago

I live in East Tennessee. My potted moon flower vines produced their first blooms today, July 30. I had to protect the seedlings from early frost this year, so they got an early start. The vines are covered with buds. I did not let the vines climb. I kept them twisted near the pot. I hope for a concentrated show. Enjoy your flowers,

• foxhillfamily
    7 years ago

Mine are 10-12 feet tall on white trellis,they have been 30-45 feet in the past. Just string some wire and let them go, coffee grounds encourage blooms!

• HU-27285124
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

This is my second year they came in so nice. They've bloomed a few times. But they haven't bloomed in a few days. What makes them not bloom some nights? It's been raining the last few days. But not at night.

• Janet Rosati
    3 years ago

This is my first year growing moon flowers from seed as well. The first batch I started inside in small seed pots in the beginning of April. When they got about 8 inches tall, I moved outside under a large tree so the could grow and climb up & around the tree. However, the squirrels ate them after like 3 days :( I was so excited to see them grow, that I got more seeds and decided to try again. I started the second batch in a planter at the end of May and then transplanted outside near the chain link fence at the front porch. They are thriving. The vines are at least 10 feet long and weaving all in the fence, but it's mid July and still now flowers, not even any buds. I'm hoping it won't be much longer until the flowers begin to sprout. I'm sure the wait will be worth it!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!