Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbb_gw

White Gardens

barbb
18 years ago

Hello everyone,

Not sure I'm in the right place, but afraid I can't find info anywhere else.

I have a friend who wants to do an all white garden, and since she doesn't have a computer wanted me to research this for her. She said she's not really interested in a moon garden as such, but wants to do it all white.

I tried to search "monochromatic gardening" but didn't come up with anything either. Wonder if anyone can suggest some books.

We're in coastal northern California.

Thanks so much for any help you can give.

BarbB

Comments (7)

• motria
    18 years ago

There's a very famous white garden in England that is the inspiration for many. Just do a google search on "Sissinghurst white garden" and you'll find some articles and pictures. There are surely books about it, too.

The ground rules are to use mainly white-flowered and silver-leaved plants; beyond that, your friend could get creative with landscape style, choice of plants, using natives, etc. Good luck!

• barbb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Motria,

I've actually seen that book many years ago and will probably get a copy of it for her.

The only thing that threw me was she had said she wasn't interested in a moon garden, but I suppose she can still use some of the same plants.

Thanks so much for your suggestion.

Babb

• JustJoeyGirl
    18 years ago

I have two books that I have enjoyed.

Evening Gardens: Planning & Planting a Landscape to Dazzle the Senses After Sundown
    by Cathy Wilkinson Barash

and: The Evening Garden, Flowers and Fragrance from Dusk till Dawn
    by Peter Loewer

Hope this helps........JoAnn

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

White lunaria, white dames's rocket (if it's ok where you live), candytuft, datura, white obedient, artemsia, nigella, nictotiana, ipomoea, lychnis.

There's tons of great white plants to grow!

• barbb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Bakemom! We're all on the northern coast of California, and have to deal with salt air, wind etc. Thanks for your reply and I'll look them up for her.

BarbB

• lilspaceboy_hotmail_com
    16 years ago

I too am looking to create an all white garden and now, perhaps a moonscape as well!!

A white garden book I stumbled onto...
    "The White Garden" - Diana Grenfell & Roger Grounds.
    # ISBN-10: 094395536X
    # ISBN-13: 978-0943955360

It's not the end all be all in white gardens books (bad pics; good info) but, a good starting point.

I would also suggest...
    "The Encyclopedia of Ornamental Grasses" - by John Greenlee.
    # ISBN-10: 0875961002
    # ISBN-13: 978-0875961002

There are some wonderful silver and white flowering grasses!

Happy Planting!
    =mj=

• barbb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks mj, I actually gave up on this idea a year or so ago, and went another route. I'd love to see the book though, so I appreciate your "heads up". Good luck on your effort.

BarbB