Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reuserob

Planting on the Full Moon?

ReuseRob
20 years ago

Does anyone know of any folklore about planting seeds on the full moon? I've read some conflicting things, and I was just curious what everyone's thoughts are.

This Thursday is a full moon and eclipse and it happens to be the frost-free date for my area, so I thought it would be a fun planting night.

Thanks for the responses,

Rob

Comments (14)

• GraeBeard
    20 years ago

4 days on either side of the full moon is the best time to sow seeds. At least, in my religion it is ;) I always have good luck with moon sown seeds.

• odonata_va
    20 years ago

Third week in May on the Lunar tide is also when the horseshoe crabs come ashore to mate :) I would think a full moon lunar eclispe, last frost date AND the horseshoe crab phenom would good reason or at least a good story for the grandkids.

• Julesagain
    20 years ago

Seems most appropriate for a moon garden to be planted by phases of the moon!

• loves_roses
    20 years ago

hey, cool! i think it'd be fun to have a "moon party" and plant, tell tales, etc. good luck! i'm sure you've done it by now, but it's a good excuse to have some fun on full moon nights. i like the idea. there are some cool moonlore books that probably would have some stuff on this. i think i'll get mine out and go read.

• ReuseRob
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks for your tips everyone, there were some interesting tidbits.

I ended up going out a few nights before the full moon, because it was going to be the only clear night that week. I garden at a community garden, and by the time we were done, we were surrounded by fog, it was pretty magical.

Does anybody recommend any particular books on moon planting? I'm looking for more about the folklore side of it, than planting a garden to be appreciated by moonlight.

Thanks again for your responses,
    Rob
    "The Earth laughs in flowers"
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Iollainn
    20 years ago

.....the water in the earth is pulled up by the full moon, this is why gardening by the moon works, seeds need all the mositure they can get, no magic, just natural.

• Iollainn
    20 years ago

gardening by the moon dot com is a good site on gardening by the moon, although i don't see how the zodiac would have an effect on gardening, some say it does

• fishies
    20 years ago

I can see how it would. The water in the earth is pulled by the moon, and gravitational forces are working on the earth, depending on it's relationship to the other planets. It's not magic... just natural :) And much more importantly, it's fun.

• Iollainn
    20 years ago

Almost a year later..............Yes, it is fun!!!
    Can't wait for this growing season to start!!! Getting a little cabin feverish here on the east coast of Canada.

• stephenNJ
    20 years ago

I'm planning on transplanting winter sown seedlings on a full moon this year, should be fun!

• rosegardengirl
    20 years ago

Farmer wisdom is to plant crops while the moon is waxing, right? Planting on a waning moon results in more crop failures.
    Long time ago, but I think I have that right....

• yeona_sky
    20 years ago

I found a link on how to remember whether the moon is waxing or waning.

I think the poem helps to recognize the difference.

If you see the Moon at the end of the day
    A bright Full Moon is on its way
    If you see the Moon in the early dawn
    Look real quick, it will soon be gone.

The other link below is about actually planting by the moon and is a harder read, but interesting.

planting by the moon.

Yeona

Here is a link that might be useful: moon waxing or waning

• meme_mutation
    20 years ago

A New Moon rises with the Sun,
    Her waxing half at midday shows,
    The Full Moon climbs at sunset hour,
    And waning half the midnight knows.

• Iollainn
    20 years ago

...a monthly calendar

Here is a link that might be useful: best days for planting and other activities