Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iamwhatiam52

Red Night blooming cirrus?

iamwhatiam52
20 years ago

This is not realy a moongarden question, but maybe someone who grows night blooming cirrus whould know the answer.

I am familiar with the regular white night blooming cirrus (cerius?) that my parents grow in Florida. The blooms are huge, astonishingly bright white, open suddenly at night, and are gone by next day. Last year, someone gave me a small cutting of a red variety. The plant looks like the regular white variety, but the bloom opened in daylight, and is still open 4 days later.

Anyone know anything about this?

I am going to try to post a picture on the Garden Photo Gallery forum.

Mitch

Comments (6)

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    20 years ago

It sounds like it could be any one of hundreds of Epiphyllum ("Orchid Cactus") hybrids that are actually quite common and easy to grow. Just do a Google search and you will be able to pull up countless websites about the orchid cactuses. Run a search on the Cactus and Succulents Forum as well. The most widely grown night-blooming cereus around here is Epiphyllum oxypetalum, so they are definitely related (although many of the colorful, day-blooming hybrids are actually the result of crossing many different genera).

Actually, my favorite "epi" is Epiphyllum anguliger, which is also night-blooming and heavily fragrant. Although the blooms are not as large nor do they have as many petals as E. oxypetalum, the plant is quite compact (compared to its lanky big sister), has extremely attractive foliage and it has more reliable flowering characteristics.

• James_Bryan007
    20 years ago

My Grandmother grew night blooming cirrus that grew up a 15 foot Oak Tree "stump", when she had the tree trimmed, because it was endangering her home by falling on her house. The Cirrus quickly covered the tall tree stump, and when it bloomed in the Summer night, it actually had people stopping in their cars to see this spectacular site! It appeared to be a solid column of white flowers the size of a "dinner plate"! We live in Florida zone 9b, and I would like to buy a night blooming cirrus. Does anyone know where to go on the internet and purchase a night blooming cirrus?

• silverwolf61
    20 years ago

mitch my mother in law has one and they call it a june cactus her flowers have been known to last a week or longer and sometimes with the white one they will last longer too i had one that would give me beautiful flowers and last for almost a week when it flowered trying to find another one but none to be had here that is white got a piece of the red one from my mother in law

liz

• fishhead1
    19 years ago

I also have a red cirrus. I will try to post a pic.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1048810}}

• fishhead1
    19 years ago

Here is a pix of the whole plant

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1048812}}

• jblum
    19 years ago

I bought a few epiphylum cuttings from Bob Smoley's, including the Epi. Oxypetalum, plus some other red colored night bloomers. He has such a big selection of cuttings, so I'm sure he could tell you about a day blooming variety.

My cuttings from 2002 are doing great now and hopefully I'll get my first blooms this summer.

Sponsored