Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hedgwytch

New Here

hedgwytch
17 years ago

Hi All! I just found this forum and thought I would introduce myself. I've been gardening forever, but have just been into Moon Gardens for the past few years.

Here's what I've got right now:

Brugmansia Frosty Pink

Datura (unknown-lilac with dark throat)

Evening Scented Stock (Matthiola longipetala)

Greek Mullein (Verbascum Olympicum)

Nicotiana

Hemerocallis Citrina

Acidanthera

Plumbago

Epiphyllum Oxypetallum

Asst. Four O'Clocks (mostly Broken Colors and Limelight)

White Ginger

Pink Moonflower (Ipomoea)

White Moonflower (Ipomoea)

And that's all I can think of right now!

With the exception of the Plumbago, all are fragrant. I just happened to notice it tonight at dusk. It positively glowed!!! I am going to move it next to my night Lilies for a nice contrast, later.

The Mullein was a pleasant surprise. Nothing I've read says anything about it being night-blooming, but it definitely is. During the day the flowers look like wilted yellow sweet peas, then at night they open up and look like yellow evening primrose flowers! They also have the most unusual pollen...it is SUPER sticky, almost spider web-like. Nothing can escape it! LOL!

I feel like I'm forgetting something, but I can't figure out what. Anyway, I really enjoy my moon garden! I'm always on the lookout for new plants to add to it, so if anyone wants to trade, PLMK! Not all of my stuff may be ready to divide, but I'll let you know.

Thanks!

HW

Comments (7)

• ritaotay
    17 years ago

Welcome HW!!! I, for one, am glad you're here!!!

Sounds like you have a very lovely Moon Garden... Sure wish I could see & smell it... lol

Rita

P. S. If you have surplus and the time to gather them save me some Four O'clock seeds, please... Perhaps I have something you may want, although I don't know the full names of many of my plants... lol

• dulcie2003
    17 years ago

Hi HW,

I'm new here too, and I'm hoping to learn a lot from everyone here. I bought a Natchez crape myrtle today which had lovely white blossoms. I figured if I was going to buy a shade tree I might as well make it a white flowering one. It gets delivered on Sunday and I can hardly wait to plant it. My garden is new and I'm looking forward to getting to getting my trees and shrubs in so I can play with flowers. I thought I might start a folder and save the beautiful pictures posted here so I'll have some references when I get to that point. Do any of you mind if I do that?

• hedgwytch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the welcome! I wish I had the ability to post pictures, but my hard drive is fried, so I can't set up my disc from my camera. Maybe I'll take mine to my friend's so I can post them. I've gotten some great night shots!

HW

• ankraras
    17 years ago

Wow..... a very nice collection you have there!

I have always been fascinated by reading posts from different parts of the horizon. Viewing the beauty of their gardens and
    their unique skills in incorporating different plants into the landscape. Photos of anyone's garden is always a special amazing
    interest of beauty.

So sorry to hear about the fried hard drive. Is that something that is repairable? Might Santa's letter be appropriate? I must tell
    you, Santa's receiving one from me for a new camera and computer as well. Lol.

I'll bet those night shots of your's will be gorgeous on the web. Looking forward to seeing them.

A warm welcome, I look forward to your participation and please enjoy!

• pitbullt
    17 years ago

hedgwytch
    io have a few 40 meg IDE hard drives lef over from when I did comp repairs, If u could use one to replace the fried drive, you can have it it's just sitting here doing nothing
    Ted

• dancegypsy
    17 years ago

Hi, hedgwytch -- after reading your list, I was going to ask if you'd post pictures... then I got to your post about your harddrive. (Ted, you're a sweetheart to offer her a drive! What a great board I've found.)

I have been so inspired since reading this particular forum and once I end up wherever it is I'll be going next, I definitely want to put in an extensive moon garden. The lists here are really helpful.

Although the flowers are small and cream colored, rather than being white or luminous, my father planted a Banana Shrub in our yard in central FL years ago that was delicious in the night air. I recently saw one growing in the gardens at UT in Knoxville and was surprised to find them in that zone. I'd just always thought of them as being somewhat sub-tropical. That might make a nice addition to the outer edges of a moon garden, for the fragrance.

I love this forum.
    Lauren

• hedgwytch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the offer Ted. This is a laptop, so I don't think I can use the HD's you have. I have found a way to post pics, and I've got some posted on here and the Cottage Garden forum.

Lauren,

I didn't know the banana shrub was hardy in that zone, either. I may have to check into getting one! I've got a Tea Olive in the backyard for some fragrance, too.

This is a great forum!

HW

Sponsored