Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rommy_gw

Moon Flower Vine Blooms?

rommy
17 years ago

Hi! Hope someone can help me here. I planted my moon vine seed in the latter part of April. I have 6 plants that actually came up and have done okay. Here it is the end part of June and they are just starting to show sings of vining. Do I have any chance of them blooming here in zone 8, North Carolina this season? I sure hope so. If they don't I def. want to start them indoors next year. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Rommy

Comments (22)

• hedgwytch
    17 years ago

Rommy,

Since you're in Zone 8, you have a pretty long growing season. You will more than likely get at least a bloom or two. Once they get past the beginning vining stage, they'll just take off!

HW

• rommy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

HW, Thanks for the advice. They do seem to be growing faster since they started vining. I was beginning to think I was doing something wrong..lol! Can't wait for them to cover the old stump I planted them around. Do you know anything about morning glories? I planted some of them also; but they really don't seem to be going anywhere in a hurry. They still look like little plantlets. I am enjoying my yard this year. What kind of things do you have planted in your yard HW? I am not a newbie; but am learning a great deal and just getting back into my yard after a couple of years of neglect! Thanks!
    Rommy

• hedgwytch
    17 years ago

Rommy,

Well, moonflowers are a type of MG, so the same applies to them...once they start vining, watch out! LOL! If you'd like to see some pics, I have a post from a few days ago on this forum under my name. I also have a poll up where I put some of my faves, and asked others to list theirs.

Even though you got a late start, with your growing season, you'll catch up in no time! And while we're complaining in October about no more flowers, you'll probably still be blooming! ;o)

I've really enjoyed my moon garden this year. My only complaint is that my datura doesn't open til after I go to bed! Even when I try and stay up! Good luck with your garden, and I can't wait to see pics.

Sherri

• david_oklahoma
    17 years ago

Well, it seems everyone enjoys the vine so much, I will reconsider trying them once more and it seems I may have been a bit impatient with them.

HW I sent you an email.

David

• rommy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

HW, I looked at the pics and they are beautiful! I esp. love the nicotania. I planted some forget me nots that remind me of them only they are blue. They haven't done much yet though. I want a green house!!!!...Doesn't have to be big just big enough for me a few shelves and a dirt tray..lol... so I can start my seeds early next year and have blooms before mid summer..haha! I also noted the remark about smelling the nicotania! I love flowers with a fragrance. My oriental lillies have just begun to bloom and the fragrance is filling the yard from only two blooms on dif. plants..I love it! David, I hope you have luck with the moon vines. Didn't I see you post about the moon bushes on another forum? I know I posted a reply to one of them; but for the life of me can't remember where it was:( I have a moon bush also from a friend and am in awe everytime I watch one of the blooms open before my eyes around dusk! They have a sweet scent as well; but not long lasting after opening! Have a wonderful rest of the week everyone and thanks for the in put. I will post pics as soon as I have some blooms!
    Rommy

• sonnygirl6
    17 years ago

I want to plant a Moon Flower vine and a Morning Glory vine on either side of my mail box with Monkey Grass around the bottom. Question, in Georgia where can I get a Moon Flower Vine and will they all do well together? Please help!

• rommy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sonnygirl, I am not an expert by any means; but I do know from reading on here that moon vine is a form of morning glory; so they should do fine together. I have both planted together. One on one side of a stump and one on the other. The only prob is that my morning glory seeds have not really done anything. The moon vine is doing well and one vine actually has a bud on it finally. I planted my seed in late April; which is probably a little late in the season. I dont' know where you might get the vine already growing; unless you can find it on line somewhere. Try using your search engine and type in "moon flower vine." You can probably find some on line garden centers that can mail you some live plants if you want to spend the money they may cost plus shipping. I wish you luck and hope someone who knows your area happens on the post and can advise you of a local to find some. I have loads of monkey grass in my yard; but none in the area with my moon vines or morning glory. I only know monkey grass spreads and you have to work to contain it; but it isn't an overly invasive plant. Enjoy the rest of your summer.
    Rommy

• kathyinalabama
    17 years ago

sonnygirl,
    I can send you some moonflower seeds -- email me at kathyg427@aol.com
    I've grown moonflower with morning glory and hyacinth bean vine--they do great together.
    took this photo of a single moonflower blossom last night after a rain:
    {{gwi:1048848}}

• rommy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Beautiful Kathy! Did you start yours from seed or small plants? If you started from seed how early did you sow them? Mine aren't nearly that big and lush and I sowed my seeds in late April. One has just started budding.
    Rommy

• kathyinalabama
    17 years ago

Thanks, Rommy!

I started mine from seed that I collected last year and I believe they were started late April or early May. In the photo, you can see that most of the leaves (purple veined) behind the blossom aren't Moonflower vine, but are Hyacinth Bean vine -- I like the dark foliage contrasting with the big white MF blooms. The Hyacinth Bean is a very robust vine.

• rommy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kathy, By last year, do you mean 2005. If so does that mean they came back this year? I sure do hope so. I am going to mulch over mine and hope and pray they come back fuller and lusher next year. What are your winters like in Alabama? Also, where can I get some of those hyacinth bean seeds? That vine is lovely!
    Thanks, Rommy

• kathyinalabama
    17 years ago

Hi Rommy,
    I collected the MF seed from last year's plants and planted those seeds this spring.
    Winters here are probably similiar to yours in NC. Usually, just a few evenings where temps dip below 20 degrees and that usually occurs in January. Pretty mild.
    I'll have Hyacinth Bean seeds this season--feel free to email your address and I'll send them to you. They germinate easily.
    kathyg427@aol.com

• steilberg
    11 years ago

my moon vine seeds swell but don't sprout is there any special way to assure sprouting
    thanks rich

• rommy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Steilberg, Been a while since I have planted Moon Flower; will have to try and find some to plant this season and soon or they take forever to sprout and take off; but the result is worth the wait. The seed pods can be very stubborn, it is actually best to nick them to break the outer shell. Do you have them soaking in water or what? :)

• steilberg
    11 years ago

the first one is showing some green the others are swelling
    thanks

• rommy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hope they do well for you; yw

• steilberg
    10 years ago

had 2 leaves for weeks now and just now starting new leaves

• rommy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Steilberg, Hope your vine takes off. I found some seed and planted them in early May and do have some plants coming up.. soaked them for what I was afraid was toooo long; but they did come up and hope to see them show off this season. ..keep me posted on your's and maybe we can share some pictures when they do bloom :) Have a great summer !

• steilberg
    10 years ago

rommy. ...three vines up about 4-6 feet maybe no buds yet

• nopets
    10 years ago

Can anyone tell me if this is a moonflower? It seems to be opening really slow, is it normal for them to open slowly? I can't see any color to be a morning glory. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

• rommy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nopets, It looks like it could be a moon flower to me. Moonflowers are much larger than your standard morning glory; but look much the same. Post one when it opens up along with the leaves if you can.
    Also, Steilberg, how have yours done... last post was they were up a few inches in Aug. Hope they have done well. My hubby ran over mine with the mower not long after they came up and had a little height..lol..so I will have to try again next year.. :) Have a wonderful day , whenever you guys see this post.. :)

• nopets
    10 years ago

well, it was not a moonflower, but I have no idea where this color came from. I never planted any this color but it is pretty anyway.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!