Return to the Moon Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brand New and have questions - please help

Posted by colleen_gardener 6 Bayonne, NJ (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 7, 07 at 0:54

Hi ALL! I am very intrested in having a moon garden. This is my second year gardening (Mostly herbs and veggies) so I'm brand new and don't know much of the lingo yet - so sorry if these are stupid questions.......
I understand a Moon Garden only blooms at night and smells wonderful.... Right now I don't have a yard but have plenty of containers are there any flowers that bloom that I can plant in some small/med containers? When is the best time to plant them? I should be in our new home in a month or so, would I be able to transplant them out of the containers if I wanted too? Although I'm thinking it maybe nice to have them in pots on the porch. Any idea's, tips and directions on how to start this and what to start with would be great!
Thanks!
Colleen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brand New and have questions - please help

Hi Colleen,
First, congratulations on your new home, that's very exciting.

A moon garden is not just night blooming plants, it is a garden of white plants and flowers that glow in the moonlight.

I think your container idea is great. It will look lovely on your new porch. As for transplanting it when you move, that's your call. It depends on what plants, etc. if they will transplant well. See how you like it in the container and then go from there. If you have perennials in it you can transplant then in the fall if you want. I would transplant early enough to give them a chance to take before the weather turns cold.

Go through old post here and you will find lots of plant ideas. Also, at BHG.com there is a moon garden plan. It suggests plants and how to position them. Go to the gardening section, click on garden plans and look for "evening garden", there is also a "white garden" that will give you ideas too.
Here's a couple sites with a good list of plants:

http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/4DMG/Flowers/night.htm

http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/articles/adams/2003/evening_gardens.htm

Good luck and have fun with it! Congrats again on the house and I wish you many years of happy porch sitting. My porch is my favorite room of my house. I added a container water garden to it this year and it is heaven.

Sue

o
RE: Brand New and have questions - please help

Thanks Sue!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moon Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here