Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dany153

Twilight Garden

dany153
17 years ago

I'm looking for plants that take on a flourecent look at dusk, to plant in my moon garden. Husband complains about lack of color and I thought I read on this forum, some time ago, someone mentioned plants for a twilight garden. I have Eden roses in my moon garden that are gorgeous at dusk. I also have cleomes, black-eyed susans, and just purchased some sky blue salvia. Any suggestions?

Comments (7)

• dulcie2003
    17 years ago

Vinca "Coconut Cooler", Agapanthus "Rancho White", and Iceberg roses have very bright white flowers that really glow at dusk. I hope this is of help.

• hedgwytch
    17 years ago

I was just out in my courtyard which has a mixture of regular and "moon plants" and noticed that my Plumbago was absolutely glowing this incredible blue right around dusk. I had never noticed that before, and might just have to put it next to my night blooming yellow lilies and white night blooming nicotiana! It isn't fragrant at night, but the blues really capture the light at the end of the day. Hope this helps!

HW

• dany153
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the great ideas!
    dulcie2003- I actually planted some agapanthus a couple of years back. Last year it didn't have any blooms but great foliage. This year it has alot of buds. I can't wait to see what happens!

hedgwytch- You got it! Right at dusk, there are certain plants that look absolutely flourecent( it's the only way I can describe it). Plumbago is just what I'm looking for! My entire backyard is filled with whites, yellows, pinks and elfins. The blue will look great with them!

• dulcie2003
    17 years ago

Enjoy your aggies for me too. I divided my white aggies too late and I didn't get any blooms at all..not a single one :(

The white aggies look like orbs floating over the flower beds which I think looks really cool.

• hedgwytch
    17 years ago

dany-what do you do to keep your agapanthus alive??? I have bought them and bought them. They just don't live for me. I've never had a plant survive the summer, much less bloom! I've tried baking beds, shade beds, moist beds, containers...nothing. What's your secret?

HW

• dany153
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hedgwych- When I bought them they were meant to be an annual plant.I knew they are not meant to survive the winter here. I think you are suppose to dig up the bulbs and store them. I don't garden in the fall(very lazy), So I just left them where I had planted them and they came back the next year.( along with a star jasmine that is not meant to winter either)They did not flower but looked heathy enough. I have them planted in a pretty protected area between decks, on the south side, and in full sun.It is in close proximity to my pond so the soil is consistantly moist. We do mulch the garden beds with leaves in the fall. I do not clean my beds at all in the fall.I have two of them and one is doing fine and the other not so great,(no blooms) but it is still alive. Funny thing is they're planted like 3' apart. Same conditions. It, along with the jasmine, is one of those happy little garden surprises!

• kaffeina
    17 years ago

deutzia is very vibrant
    so are shasta daisies
    phlox david
    nicotiana
    white garlic chives

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County