Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sparky_10_ec_iowa

Beautiful morning surprise! 2 Cereus blooms!

sparky_10
20 years ago

Wasn't expecting this! My pride and joy had 2 blooms this morning. This plant is very old; I remember as a child asking Grandma 'Is the plant gonna bloom when we visit?!'

It was so special, staying up late to watch the blossom open.

Here is a link that might be useful: my night-blooming cereus

Comments (10)

• sparky_10
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Sorry for the link; its the only way I know how to post a picture!

• bluebonnett
    20 years ago

The Cereus is BEAUTIFUL!! Sooo here goes, where do I find one? Is it from a tuber, or bulb?
    Is it the same plant your Gramdmother had?
    My grand daughters always ask if my datura is going to bloom tonight when they visit. Reminds me of a book I read several years ago about grown children returning home to the farm to watch the moonflowers bloom each year.

• sparky_10
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I'm pretty sure its the same plant Grandma had.

Cuttings root easily; I sent you an e-mail. Hopefully we can get together and I'll mail one.

• anuhea
    20 years ago

Sparky???? Is that you????
    I have been taking up a new hobby of Hypertufa and found this site (different forum) but I sneak over here to check out all the flowers too. Its nice running into a friendly face.
    PS. your cereus is beautiful. Your post about it last year about this time was what got me to post on MSWorld. I share your love of gardening. (and am still in limboland)
    I took the name "anuhea" here but am still "the barb"
    aloha

• azulfire
    20 years ago

Hi,
    I'am new to this club. So good to meet you and get some advice or knowledge. I visted my aunt in New Mexico And she had this very lanky plant. she gave me 4 cuttings the leaves are about 3-5 inches long and about 2-3 inches wide in some parts, not sure of accurate measure. but she called it a one night-stand/ a cereus. since as you know only blooms one night out of the year, at least her variety does. I missed the blooming period but I heard all about it. I live in the state of washington on the wet and soggy side. What kind of lighting,and watering and feeding do these plants need? I put them in potting soil, so far they look droopy but the stem at the base look bright green.I don't even know what the flowers look like. The cutting are about 6 weeks old now, she said give it a year for it to take. I did a search online but I dont understand why an epi is what comes up?
    thankyou:)

• sparky_10
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Sorry again, azulfire.....I forgot to tell you about light and stuff. Mine gets a short dose of full early afternoon sun. It lives in the same spot on the front porch; only coming inside between the 1st and last frosts. The baby I gave to my sister had seen very little sun. I rarely feed any of my plants, so I can't say anything about that.

The big one doesn't seem to like wet soil, but I kept the baby a bit more moist. A tip: use a shallow drainage plate under the pot. A deep one won't allow the run-off to evaporate and it gets nasty and rots.

I noticed when the baby was growing the leaves (stems?) would have different colors and firmness all along its length. I read somewhere it usually takes 2 years for cuttings to bloom.

Good luck with yours!

• Jane_Zone_8
    20 years ago

Hi Sparky,
    I also have a Cereus from my daughter-in-law's grandmother. I've had it for about 2 years and am anxious to get my first bloom. What is the best way to share this plant with friends. A few leaves broke off when it fell from the greenhouse shelf last winter and I just potted up the broken leaves and they seemed to be fine. I gave them away, however, I'm unable to get in touch with these people to see if the cuttings made it. So.....what is the best way to propagate cereus? Oh, almost forgot, are the blooms only white or are there other colors?
    Thanks for the help.

• azulfire
    20 years ago

Hey sparky what ever works huh. I just looked at my cuttings in potting soil no special mix, and its putting out new growth, I have it in the window that gets afternoon sun too, I let my plant dry out then gave it a little water, I did more extensive search online and apperantly I'am doing everything wrong but hey mine is growing. I guess it is an epipyhullym. i'am not sure, but also found out my flat leaf christmas cactus which blooms like crazy,is in the same family and I'a also treat that one wrong too, my husband alsways keeps it wet drenching it and its in the full hot sun too,with no sunburn. in my kitchen window.
    But again thanks for your knowledge good to know others wing it on a hope and prayer.

• Simon_AL
    20 years ago

My brother has a Cereus. He says it blooms a 'pure white'. Bloom frequency is 2 or more times a year. He does fertilize but it isn't a regularly scheduled event. Just whenever. It stays on a covered porch and there are a lot of oaks and pines around the house.

• aruu
    20 years ago

Azulfire...Epi is the first 3 letters in the botanical name for cereus. I think that's what you were asking--? It is a wierd wonderful plant.
    Sorry to barge in here, I am also new to the Moon Garden forum, stopped in to find out about the evening primrose. Anyone?

Sponsored