Return to the Moon Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I am novice Need help starting from seeds

Posted by dswaggers z6 MO (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 27, 04 at 13:10

Hi, I am trying my first attempt with moon flower seeds. I have read some other threads. If I soak them, when do you plant them? How long should I soak? also, since it is almost july and I live in zone 6, should I put them in a pot to bring in later? My other questions, do you plant in part sun? Which sun - morning or evening, all day? After the season is over, if planted in the ground, will they come back. Any help to my beginning would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I am novice Need help starting from seeds

I find that you must soak them untill they start to swell.... this could be up to a week..... any that float to the top are bad..... dark ones are bad as well...... :)

o

thanks so much for the tips, I am anxious to see these flowers start growing!!!

o

I'm wondering if you have enough time in your growing season to get blooms. Anyone have any thoughts on that? They'll germinate quickly, but maybe won't flower. Maybe. If you have a bunch of seeds, you might want to set some aside for next season just in case.

Moonflower vine is an annual - treat them like morning glories b/c that's what they essentially are. Mine are in part sun - they are climbing a large willow teepee trellis.

I would soak them at least 48 hours and perhaps nick them with a nail clipper if you wish. I've been told by morning glory people that it's best not to fertilize - otherwise you get plenty of green and very few blooms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moon Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here