Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebonnett_gw

Hugmongus moon flower plant seeds

bluebonnett
20 years ago

Hello to all,

I don't know the proper name for the plant I have, I do know it is a Datura. My plant was started from seed that came from plants growing in a cow pasture outside of Ada,OK.

I've had this one plant for four years now and it is close to five feet tall this year. I believe it would be much wider than it is, if it had more growing room.

This fall I will save seed and if you want some let me know.

Comments (50)

• pjhege
    20 years ago

I would love to have some seed when you get them. My email address is pjhege@bellsouth.net Thanks

• VAdirtdigger
    20 years ago

Please keep me in mind as well should you have seeds this fall. I can be reached at rivercole@aol.com. Thanks

• bluebonnett
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hi,
    This note is to let everyone who has requested seeds, I'm keeping your addresses and will send you fresh seds this fall. My plant is loaded with blooms now and smells heavenly! Jean

• sunset49424
    20 years ago

Please include me in sharring your seeds,they sound wonderful..........Jenny

• ChaseUdn
    20 years ago

bluebonnet,

Please add me to the list also! I have a Datura, like yours, but it isn't fragrant! I would love to have that sweet smell fill the evening air. LMK when & I will send sase!

Thanks....

Brinda :)

• mitchofrag
    20 years ago

i would also love some seeds. i am just trying to start a moon garden, and want as many sweet smelling flowers as possible.
    thank you, mitch.

• mitchofrag
    20 years ago

i would also love some. i am new to the moongarden and i want as many different datura as possible.
    please keep me informed. thamks, mitch.

• Simon_AL
    20 years ago

a five foot Datura? I believed the Brugmansias only got that tall. Do you have a picture of it? Do the flowers point up and all around or just down?

• Zachariah
    20 years ago

There are Moon Plants in different gardens around my home and one that is located beside the small home pond is vastly covered with the dozens of large, pleasingly white fragrant flowers, which almost cover its entire foilage of over 6 feet in diameter and over 3 feet in height, and they gloriously point directly to the heavens. It is wonderful that you offer such a unique and magnificent wonder.

• bakemom_gw
    20 years ago

Can I grow this plant here in Ohio 5/6? If so, I would love some seeds - I'm at kcmccoyesq@aol.com. I will be happy to send a SASE and include a suprise packet if you want - I'm just starting to plan a moon garden.

• flybabytina
    20 years ago

Oh, I would LOVE some seeds too! email me at flybabytina@msn.com Thanks for sharing!

• bluebonnett
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hello to all!!
    I've been out of town for awhile and was happy to see such a great response to the seeds. In answer to some of the questions, Yes the flowers point to heaven and their fragrance is (to Me) heavenly. When a full moon is in cycle the bush puts on the most blooms. The seed pods are making now,and are still green,when they are ripe I'll start contacting you and let you know they are on the way. Hopefully I'll have enough to send each of you a full pod of seeds.The pods get really big and produce enough seeds to have plenty for germination.

It's wonderful to find people who are interested in keeping these seeds going. Friends and neighbors have seen the plant and think it is beautiful, but they never want to 'bother' with the seeds.

• ada8228
    20 years ago

Bluebonnet, please add me to your list for some of the seeds. Thanks so much.

• sedona1998
    20 years ago

Hi bluebonnett,

If you have enough, I would love some seeds too. My husband & I just bought our first house, and we are starting to plan a moongarden together - your Datura sounds like a perfect beginning. I would be happy to send a SASE and can be reached at sedona1998@hotmail.com

Thank you, and have a wonderful day!

• skippy05
    20 years ago

BlueBonnet,
    Anything fragrant sounds good to me.
    If you have enough, I would love some seeds

• didzgarden
    20 years ago

Im in zone 5.. but would love to try it... my email is diddleycat@hotmail.com if you could email me, and help me determine if I have the kind of surroundings it would like. It sounds lovely.

I have just started gardening.. but have a few seeds that I could exchange you if you would like. LMK...

MK

• bluebonnett
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hello to all,
    The seeds pods are still green and I'm still getting blooms and every bloom makes a pod. I'm keeping a list and will start sending e-mails when the seeds are ready.
    We had a bad storm and my husband was trimming dead limbs and fell about 7 ft off our back deck and crushed his knee cap and broke the top of tiba bone so he's home now afte 2 surgeries and I stay pretty busy with him. Will join the discussions as soon as I can. Jean

• liones_mom
    20 years ago

I've just discovered these forums and I'm bowled over with all the 'plant people'!!

Just got a collection of night blooming seeds, but silly me ordered them in Aug. I planted some of the moonflowers and 2 came up. Still just about 6 inches tall.

I would love to have some of your 'heritage' seeds, if there are any left. I'm feeling stupid, can I plant them outside now (to overwinter) or should I wait till spring?

I'll send a SASE... lioness@starmail.com

Pam

• tommychoc
    20 years ago

I would like to try and grow these seeds. My email is tradovic@strargate.net. Please add me to the list. I hope your husband is feeling better.
    Tom

• SherryAR
    20 years ago

Jimson Weed
    Genus Datura
    CAUTION: All parts of all Datura plants are poisonous
    and can be fatal if ingested.
    Found in deserts of the American Southwest from Baja and Southern California, east to Texas and Mexico, and north through Arizona, New Mexico, Utah and Nevada.

Habitat
    Desert sandy flats, arroyos and plains from sea level to an elevation up to 2,500 feet. Often seen along Southwestern roadsides.

Flowers
    Large, white, trumpet-shaped flowers bloom March through November. Corollas are up to 6 inches long, have 5 teeth and are often tinged with purple or lavender around the margins. This flower opens after dusk and closes by mid-morning of the following day.

Description
    This stout, branched, sprawling perennial has long, gray-green, ovate leaves up to 6 inches long, which are covered by tiny smooth hairs. It may grow up to 2 feet high.

Thorny, globose, walnut-sized fruit (1-1/2 inches in diameter) has many small, slender spines. The fruit hangs down in all species except Jimson Weed.

Datura is a member of the Potato (Solanaceae) Family, also called the Deadly Nightshade Family. There are several species of the Datura genus, including D. wrightii, commonly referred to as the Southwestern Thorn Apple. D. stramonium is usually called Jimson Weed; D. metaloides is colloquially named Sacred Datura; and D. inoxia is usually referred to as Toloache. The smaller annual, D. discolor, is often called Moon Flower. It grows only 18 inches high and has a purple throat not found in other species.

All species of Datura have long been used by native peoples of the Southwest in puberty and other ceremonies because of the plant's halucinogenic alkaloids. People trying to imitate Native American ways have often poisoned themselves, sometimes fatally.

• doglady123
    20 years ago

The Jimson weed that I have in my dogpen is a whole different critter than the Moonflower vines that I have out front on the trellis. Both have beautiful flowers but the Jimson weed flowers are tubular with pinwheel shaped points and a purple throat. The moonflowers are pure white and easily 5 inches across. The moonflowers that I have are Ipomea(sp?) not Datura. The moonflower puts on seed pods about an inch across whereas the Jimson weed pods are quite thorny and reach at least 2 inches across. I will have seeds from both types if anyone wants some... the moonflowers pods are just coming in but the Jimson weed should have some on it now. Just be careful with Jimson weed as just getting the "juice" from the leaves or stalks on your skin can cause dilation of the pupils and some rather unpleasant distortions.

• brdldystlu
    20 years ago

Jean, I just found this thread and first am very sorry to hear about your husband. I hope he heals quickly. Second, can I be added to your list for seeds?? I just got my first blooms on my moonflower vine last night and I am now going to be hooked on night blooming plants.
    Thank you for your offer to the group.
    Sandy

• anna3
    20 years ago

Hi Jean, Sorry about your husband. I hope he gets well soon.. I would like to be added to your list too. thank you very much. anna

• binki
    20 years ago

(jumping on the bandwagon) I'd love some seeds if you have enough!
    I hope your husband's starting to feel better--or at least has some good pain medication.

• spage1
    20 years ago

Hope your husband is better, each day will be better. I would love to have some of your seeds if still offering. Thanks-

• bluebonnett
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I'm still collecting seeds as they get ripe. Just about the time I think this is the last of the blooms, more come on. (I'm not complaining.)
    The post from SherryAR and Doglady are good to keep in mind. A tip from my Doctor: Immediately wash your hands and arms with COOL soapy water ater working in the yard. Or rinse with Cool water from the garden hose while working for long periods. I have very sentive skin and this has worked for me.
    Oh yes, before I close, I talk to my plants and brag on them every time I walk past them. Lucky for me I don't have neighbors close by! LOL So, when you get your seeds and they sprout remember they are used to hearing how beautiful they are.
    My husband had his third surgey this past Friday. Please be patient with my slow responses to your post. Happy gardening to all of you nice folks! Jean

• liones_mom
    20 years ago

Realize your focus is your husband, as it should be. Sending prayers for his rapid and uneventful recovery.

Keep us posted.

Pam

• jjappleby
    20 years ago

I would love a moonflower seed. I have two that I planted this year. I love the native flowers and try to find things growing wild, but have never seen a moon flower wild. Take care of your husband first and hope he makes a full recovery.

• marciaz4
    20 years ago

I would love to have some seed if you have any left to give. I hope your husband is doing Ok.

• spage1
    19 years ago

Hope your husband is on the road to recovery, after 3 surgeries I know he must be tired and ready to get back to a normal life that doesnt include doctors and discomfort. My best to you all.

• imari2
    19 years ago

I am not sure if this is still an active site but I just found it and I would love to have some of the Ipomea seeds as I have the Datura/Angel Trumpet in my moon garden al ready, I have the Ipomea/Moonflower vine too but I never have any seeds from them and last year no flowers this year lots of flowers but not as large as the first year I planted them. I buy the seeds each year cause the frost gets my blooms, only get to enjoy them for 3 or 4 weeks and they are gone but I do love them.Does any one know how I can get them to bloom earlier. The fragrance is wonderful.

• mistyq
    19 years ago

DO YOU STILL HAVE SEEDS? I`D LIKE SOME MY EMAIL ADDY IS
    SHTH1987@WMCONNECT.COM PLMK

• harmnydiva
    19 years ago

I'd love some seeds as well :D

I'll send a SASE as well, please let me know if you have anymore seeds.

Thanks for being a super nice person and sharing!

crankyangel@cox.net

-K

• lilliumgrma
    19 years ago

If iam not too late i would like too have some of your seeds. I am just starting a moon garden and am looking for fragant plants
    Hope your husband is better.
    Thank you for your generouse sharing.
    annie

• bhscarlett
    19 years ago

I too would love some purple seeds or any ohter colors, yellows, pinks, reds, blacks. i have heard one comes in many colors but the moons are only white? i am confused,, please consider me in i will do whatever take s to get all colors,, please email me at bhscarlett@yahoo.com and let me know what i must do.. thank you and God bless all of you too.

• greenhouse_crazy
    19 years ago

If you have any moon flower seeds left, please put me on your list. will send postage. thanks for sharing, Cindy
    amconwork@att.net

• TexasTina
    19 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I would like some seeds too if you have any. Thanks

• nimbleneedle2
    18 years ago

This was my grandmothers pride and joy to grow every year in Michigan. I would love some seeds, if they are still available. Thank you and I will be happy to send you a SASE.

email: nimbleneedle2@yahoo.com

• lunatic
    18 years ago

Bluebonnett - let me know also if you have seeds to spare. I would love some. I keep trying to get the seeds to grow but haven't had much success. Any tips you have would be appreciated also. I would like to have a moon garden, hence the name 'lunatic'.
    Thanks in advance.
    tahiggins99@yahoo.com

• txsummer
    18 years ago

I hope you and your husband are doing better this year.
    Please let me know if you're offering the seeds for SASE this year.

• Dragoness_MS
    18 years ago

I hope your hubby is better... my DH just had an emergency appendectomy *sp* a week or so ago... so I know how you feel!! :)

I, too, would love some moonflower seeds if there's enough to go around... smstevenson99@yahoo.com

thanks!!!

• MrsK
    18 years ago

I would love to have some seeds. Mine did not grow this year I don't know why.They are truly the most fragrant. I planted them next to my bedroom window.my husband & I would go out every evening to check their progress.I was sorry they did not grow ths year.

• friesfan1
    18 years ago

Wow! I just found this thread, I cannot believe it is
    2 years old!!
    Bluebonnet, how is your husbands knee after his surgeries?

If you are still sharing seeds, I would love to take some
    off of your hands!

My email is : mlboyce@ruraltel.net

Thanks,
    Friesfan1

• Myyst
    18 years ago

Please add me to the list I would be happy to pay for postage. I hope that your husband is doing well...
    And thank you for the sharing. my email address is eejohnston@satx.rr.com

• Tynkerbell
    18 years ago

i would like seeds if still available

• catladysgarden
    18 years ago

This thread is a wonderful illustration of why we shouldn't use common names for plants. So far I have figured out 3 different plants that are being called Moonflowers. I think some of you are looking for Datura seed. If so, eBay is an excellent source. There are seeds offered for many different species and cultivars of Datura. You may have to spend a few dollars for your first seeds. After that, you can harvest enough seed to supply all of your friends and relatives as well as keeping your own plants going. Datura is very easy to grow from seed. In warmer areas of the country, it will survive for a few years as a perennial. It will self sow in the garden or you can start the seed in pots and transplant your seedlings wherever you want them. I start some of my seed indoors in February or March because the plant starts blooming too late to suit me if it's left to it's own devices.

• fanneymae
    15 years ago

Looking for some moonflower seeds.. Just found this site an joined.. If anyone has some I'll love to hear from them. my email is fanneymae1318@aol.com It is now May 26th 2008
    and most of the postings are older.

• carole6
    15 years ago

Would you be able to keep some moonflower seeds for me, too?I live in Minnesota,& have a short growing season, but had some of these flowers once, & they were pretty.My daughter-in-law was looking for these seeds, & couldn't find any.I doubt they'd survive the winter, but would like to try them again. If you can save some for me,I'd really appreciate it!

• dee2000_tx7
    15 years ago

I've had the white Datura for many years as well. Just be careful if cutting off the seed pods after they are dried. Use gloves & clippers as they can be painful! Don't let them pop open in your flower bed or you will have seedlings all over the place. I guess it's a matter of taste about the fragrance of these blooms, as I find them nauseating. Now for a really sweet fragrance in your moon garden, you should grow the Ipomoea alba (moonvine related to morning glories).
    I started to reply to this post earlier, then noticed it was almst 5 yrs old! LOL

• candygravitt_gmail_com
    12 years ago

please tell me where i can find the seeds i would love some seeds or the plant please email me back

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?