Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostarasta

Moonflower - Blue Moon

hostarasta
19 years ago

I saw some moonflowers at my local nursery that were labeled "Blue Moon." No one at the nursery knew if that meant the flowers would be blue... Does anyone out there in gardening land know anything about the "Blue Moon" variety of moonflower? Is it truly a blue bloom?

Waiting to hear from anyone...........

marlene in michigan

Comments (10)

• suthronrose
    19 years ago

There are several traders here that have the lavender one and they report that it does not have a scent like the white one. "Katkin" from FL has seeds for the Blue and Lavender she planted recently. No word yet on if they are close to the same color or not. "Elise_W" has grown the lavender one as well. You might try contacting them directly to see if they know.
    Hope that helps, I only have the white so if you get some seeds to either of the others holler at me I'd love to trade for some.

• taylor_tx
    19 years ago

Was the plant a vine, like ipomoea alba, or was it a bush like datura?
    Both are called "moonflower", so want to be clear.
    What is the name of the nursery? What is the price?
    If it is a blue variety of the fragrant white moonflower vine, then it is extremely rare.
    The blue/purple moonflower bush(datura) is not.
    -T

• sasha73
    16 years ago

to my surprise my first moonflower blooms have been bright blue. it's a vine, grown from what was supposed to be regular (white) moonflower seeds that I got at Meijer of all places. they only bloom at night, really late, so I only see them as their closing in the morning. once totally closed they actually look lavender from the outside.

is this the kind you are saying is extremely rare?? I feel very lucky as this is my first time successfully growing moonflowers, last year they never bloomed as I planted them too late. so how weird is that?

-sasha

• jln375
    16 years ago

Sasha i really hope you are able to get seeds from this vine but i am even more hopeful that you are willing to sell or trade some of them ;)
    let me know!

• mollie_daniels
    16 years ago

Blue moon flower that would have to be the most beautiful thing to see, I have the common white color all u can find around here just getting started with the moon flowers this year only have two vines, a start from my mom who only had 6 vines herself. I have blue morning glories vining my porch so every morning i open my front door its the first site i see. Would love to have some blue moon flowers then i could see the beautiful site at morning and at night. before this year i could get no flowering plant to live for me now i am learning how.

• blueeyes6446
    16 years ago

I am desperate to get any Moon Flower seeds of any color bush or vine. Please help me.

• micheleyobelle444
    16 years ago

blueeyes6446, I think I'll have seeds to share from 3 different datura plants: a purple double-flowering datura, a white double-flowering datura (also called devil's trumpet) and a white single-flowering. All are the bush variety. I'd love to find a blue variety. I got my seeds from Onalee's Seeds website.

• Ninkasi
    9 years ago

That is stunning! Beautiful flower.

• Cassie Cooper
    3 years ago

Yes, they truly are blue! They're huge and beautiful. I'm saving ALL my seeds for next year. I have them mixed in with my morning Glories.

Sponsored