Return to the Moon Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moonflower - Blue Moon

Posted by hostarasta z6 MI (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 12, 04 at 16:17

I saw some moonflowers at my local nursery that were labeled "Blue Moon." No one at the nursery knew if that meant the flowers would be blue... Does anyone out there in gardening land know anything about the "Blue Moon" variety of moonflower? Is it truly a blue bloom?

Waiting to hear from anyone...........

marlene in michigan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moonflower - Blue Moon

There are several traders here that have the lavender one and they report that it does not have a scent like the white one. "Katkin" from FL has seeds for the Blue and Lavender she planted recently. No word yet on if they are close to the same color or not. "Elise_W" has grown the lavender one as well. You might try contacting them directly to see if they know.
Hope that helps, I only have the white so if you get some seeds to either of the others holler at me I'd love to trade for some.

o

Was the plant a vine, like ipomoea alba, or was it a bush like datura?
Both are called "moonflower", so want to be clear.
What is the name of the nursery? What is the price?
If it is a blue variety of the fragrant white moonflower vine, then it is extremely rare.
The blue/purple moonflower bush(datura) is not.
-T

o

to my surprise my first moonflower blooms have been bright blue. it's a vine, grown from what was supposed to be regular (white) moonflower seeds that I got at Meijer of all places. they only bloom at night, really late, so I only see them as their closing in the morning. once totally closed they actually look lavender from the outside.

is this the kind you are saying is extremely rare?? I feel very lucky as this is my first time successfully growing moonflowers, last year they never bloomed as I planted them too late. so how weird is that?

-sasha

o

Sasha i really hope you are able to get seeds from this vine but i am even more hopeful that you are willing to sell or trade some of them ;)
let me know!

o

Blue moon flower that would have to be the most beautiful thing to see, I have the common white color all u can find around here just getting started with the moon flowers this year only have two vines, a start from my mom who only had 6 vines herself. I have blue morning glories vining my porch so every morning i open my front door its the first site i see. Would love to have some blue moon flowers then i could see the beautiful site at morning and at night. before this year i could get no flowering plant to live for me now i am learning how.

o

I am desperate to get any Moon Flower seeds of any color bush or vine. Please help me.

o

blueeyes6446, I think I'll have seeds to share from 3 different datura plants: a purple double-flowering datura, a white double-flowering datura (also called devil's trumpet) and a white single-flowering. All are the bush variety. I'd love to find a blue variety. I got my seeds from Onalee's Seeds website.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moon Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here