Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hedgwytch

Poll: What's your favorite Moon Garden plant?

hedgwytch
17 years ago

I was just curious what everyone's favorite plant in their moon garden.

For me, it's a tough one. I have several plants I like for different reasons.

For pure size and shock value, it's Greek Mullein. Very fragrant and lovely lemony yellow flowers.

For dependablilty, my Nicotiana Alata. It's always blooming, spreads reliably and looks like a wonderful snowy cloud at night.

For scent, probably my Evening Scented Stock. I don't have a lot, but every once in a while you get a good waft.

For color and visibility, my plumbago auriculata. It just glows a beautiful sky blue in the evening. Simply stunning.

What about y'all?

HW

Comments (10)

• JustJoeyGirl
    17 years ago

Hi HW, you said it: It is difficult to choose just one. If I may choose just one from different categories, ha ha ha..always trying to stretch it.

spring bulbs: Calgary Tulips..large flowered, low to the ground and heavy substance, lasts a long time.

Shrub: dwarf Minnisota Snowflake Mock Orange..long bloomtime, covered with double white extremely fragrant white flowers.

Summer bulbs: it would have to be any of the lilies, candidum, trumpet, asiatic, species, turks cap, Oriental, formanosanum. They all last a good while and most are very fragrant too. The large flowers make a good impact.

perennial is really tough...I'm probably going to say Carolina Phlox Miss Lingard...early and long blooming, fragrant.

vine: tough again, but I'd have to say moonflower.

annuals..ha ha ha..too tough to pick just one. Really, so for this post I'll say zinna white profusion.. but there really are so many that I wouldn't do without.

I can't seem to find plumbago here locally. I know it isn't hardy here, but I'd still like to try it.

I don't have much of a shock value white, maybe the Blue River II Hibiscus, for sheer flower size. Same is true of the dinner plate white dahlias.

Thanks for the post, it makes me realize, I don't have an absolute favorite..way too many..peonies, iris, lilac, yikes, I feel guilty not mentioning half of the garden..ha ha ha...enjoy...JoAnn

• rommy
    17 years ago

I just had to post here... I am just getting into the idea of the flowers that put on a show at night> I love sitting in my swing at night with the tiki torches lit and seeing all my flowers is so awesome. I would have to say my fav moon garden plant thus far is my moon bush. It honestly looks like a weed until it starts blooming; but watching those delicate flowers literally open before my eyes around dusk is so awesome to me! Then they look fake almost b/c they are so delicate and pretty and yellow! A friend's mother in law gave me the 3 after I watched hers bloom last year. Just had to have one. One died and gave one away and the other one is blooming right now. I hope it will be more full next year with more blooms after getting established. I did have about 14 blooms on it this year.I keep remembering I have not experienced my moon vine blooming yet ..haha! Okay I am out of steam here...sorry so long winded. Thanks to everyone on here who loooves flowers!
    Rommy

• dany153
    17 years ago

That's an easy one, my white phlox. Don't know what kind it is, but it long blooming, has a great scent, and very showy in the garden at night. It is the plant that inspired me to moon garden. Now it lines my entire backyard. Come to think of it, it's the only perenial that I have divided and never given to someone else. I always find a spot for it!

• dulcie2003
    17 years ago

I'm a newbie so I don't have a favorite yet. Although not exactly a garden plant, white birch trees look lovely in the moonlight.

• hedgwytch
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ooh Dulcie-that's a great one! I bet they are incredible!

HW

• dulcie2003
    17 years ago

Hi HW,

I don't have them any longer, they are in a pile as firewood now. We had to remove them because their roots were damaging our block wall. Once they went we pretty much gutted the yard and are starting over. I'm learning the hard way it seems, but I'm trying to make better choices that suit my climate, and planting new trees the proper distance from house and wall so I don't ever have to chop down another tree.

My backyard faces west so at this point I'm planting new trees just trying to get some much needed shade...ugh I'm going to fertilize, superthrive, water, and anything else that will help my trees grow. I thought I might even do the voodoo-chicken waving dance suggested by someone on the suicidal gardenia thread. It couldn't hurt...right? lol

I really enjoy reading everyones posts and I'm compiling a list of the plants and flowers everyone mentions so I can research which plants will work in my backyard while I'm waiting for my trees to grow. ;)

• etexlady
    16 years ago

I have a white native verbena that practically glows in the dark. There is a street light near, and I couldn't tell you how much the white verbena stands out. It's worth a try!

• ankraras
    16 years ago

I really enjoy growing Jasmine and Gardenia.

• tsarinanikol
    16 years ago

HW, from what I hear, those voo-doo chicken dances do quite well for gardeners--provided they AREN'T growing gardenias, at any rate. =)

I confess I have only plans for a moon garden, but I came across a curious suggestion for the nighttime garden somewhere -- fraxinella, I guess as an item of curiosity and nice lemony scent.

• ankraras
    16 years ago

Just move to Arizona and come over to take a sniff when mine are in full bloom. ;-]

{{gwi:68416}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenia