Return to the Moon Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is it moonflower or is it bindweed?

Posted by racheljl z7A VA (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 07 at 19:13

Here in Northern Virginia I wage a never ending war against bindweed. I bought some moonflowers and have been letting them sit in their little pots until I get time to plant them -- and darned if they don't look just like bindweed. I know that people buy Roses of Sharon while I spend a fair bit of gardening time pulling up the seedlings -- is this the same thing and moonflowers are desirable plants in some locations and INVASIVE KILLERS in my area?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is it moonflower or is it bindweed?

I get a little confused when people just list them as moonflowers as there is a morning glory (I. alba) and a datura (datura inoxia) variant... among others.

Either way, both can become invasive if you're in it's hardiness zone, and 7a is pretty close, but moon flowers, like morning glories, have seeds that can lay dormant in the ground for several years before germinating and I think that's what really gets people's goat over them in terms of being invasive. You've decided you want something else in that area and you're fighting seedlings for the next several years.

Personally, I love them and put them in several locations where I can either maintain seedlings (around a tree) if I get tired of them, or out in the back of my property where the only thing they'll fight/crowd out is poison ivy and other types of invasive vines.

As for appearance, I can tell you that the morning glory variant has very distinctive heart-shaped leaves once it gets it's first set of true leaves as do most morning glory vines. <shrug>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moon Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here