Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justjoeygirl

Is it ok to fertilize a moonflower vine?

JustJoeyGirl
19 years ago

I am getting a little concerned. I have moonflower plants that are about 12 feet, full and lush, BUT there are no buds! I asked at a local nursery where I usually get good advice. I was told to fertilize them with a 'super bloom' type fertilizer. As I recall, I thought you were not supposed to fertilize moonflowers or morning glories.

Does anyone know if this is good advice..should I fertilize them?

The vines are about 12 feet, well branched, full and lush foliage. They are in full sun, are not stressed for water, and the only fertilizer they have had was in very early spring (before I thought of planting them there) some compost and a little 10-10-10 mixed in. (It is a very full bed with lots of shrubs, perennials, bulbs and annuals.)

Any thoughts? or am I just being impatient? It is mid-July, z5, and the plants are at least 10 - 12 feet and growing.

Comments (45)

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

Hey there, you beat me to the question! Ok, you experts, take us to school! I have had yes and no from very experienced gardeners and now I'm confused - a show of hands please!

• skippy05
    19 years ago

I had the same problem last year(my first time with moon flower vine)
    The advise I received was no fertilizer.
    Moon Flower vine seems to like being left alone..........
    I wouldn't overwater it either.
    It seemed like forever last summer before I got a bloom.
    Maybe late July.

This year I started some a little earlier indoors
    (probably March) I have had one or 2 flowers bloom so far, lots of buds. I wish I had started more seeds indoors!
    Next year I am going to start a ton of seeds!!!

Believe me, it is worth the wait!! They are a beautiful flower! One of my favorites. The only sad thing is that they only last that one night..............

No fertilizer = more buds & blooms

Good Luck!

• Shade1
    19 years ago

OHHHH figures I JUST came in from fertilizing all my floweres Ohhh well maybe I,ll go back out and douse them with plain water to help dilute the fertilizer. better late than never I say!!!

• air_spirit_03
    19 years ago

they grow like weeds here. cant get rid of them. infact theres a native relative that grows here. I just water them when they start to wilt just a little bit and they do great! if their growth seems to slow I just sprinkle a tiny bit of 15-15-15 lawn fertilizer on them and they flurish. just don't over fertilize!!!! they seem less sensative to burning than other plants.

• msdedi
    19 years ago

I just fertilized all of my moonvines and morning glories. I have them in containers and have fed them every two to three weeks since the end of May. I am a newbie following the advice of the gardener who gave them to me. They are in full sun and bloom 4 or more blooms a night, they are beautiful.

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I still haven't fertilized mine yet, I haven't decided. Msdedi, can I ask what kind of fertilizer do you use? I know container plants have different needs than plants in the ground, but I'm still curious. Thanks JoAnn.

• merriss
    19 years ago

For some reason if you do not get them out very early, they do not flower, as well. Fertilize the Brugs but not the Moon Vine or Moon Plant. I have been pulling new plants up every. They can become a pest, which I never ever thought I would say!!!

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well, I still didn't see signs of any buds, and now it is late July. The vines are very large, and full of foliage. I decided to try and fertilize one of the groupings of moonflower vines, and leave the other alone. I used tomato plant food for the moonflower. It is a liquid that gets mixed into water in your watering can. I did just one group of three moonflower vines. I left the others alone. We shall see. We got a very good soaking rain today, a day after the fertilizer. I don't think I ruined anything, I'll keep you posted!

• yellowtomatoe
    19 years ago

I, too, am waiting for the mf to bloom. I even started them indoors under lights. I do have a few mg's that have started to bloom. Some still aren't. I have one mf vine near my tomato plants. It is getting fertilizer along with the tomatos. It looks about the same as the others. Please let me know how yours are doing.

• lulu_9
    19 years ago

It's late July here in Northern California. I had almost given up on having any blooms on my first Moonflower. But, lo and behold, last night I peeked inside the lush vines to see my first buds -- tons of them. To help them along, I doused the plant with a diluted liquid fertilizer. Didn't know there might be a problem. I'll let you know in the next few days how it turns out.

• lynn_d
    19 years ago

I fertilize mine every couple of weeks, always have and this is the 4th or 5th year I have grown them. The brugs get a good feeding weekly with epsom salts. When I first started growing moon flower vines I was told that they would not bloom til they had climbed the height of the trellis and started back down again. In observing them I think that is true, at least it appears that way to me. I've noticed the same thing with a few other clibmers.

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hmmm, Lynn, thanks, do you think I may have delayed the blooming because I put a twine leader from the top of the (trellis) to a nearby lilac tree so it could continue to climb upwards? I have two 'sets' of three vines each. Both sets are planted at the base of two bayberry shrubs in a white garden. One of the bayberries is near a lilac that is much taller. The other bayberry is not really near anything taller. The 'set' of moonflowers I have on the one near the lilac I put a twine leader from the top of the bayberry shrup up into the lilac, so the vines could continue their upwards journey. The other 'set' is in the bayberry not near anything, so I keep taking the vine when it gets long enough and weaving it back down into the shrub and up it comes another branch. I have only fertilized the 'set' on the bayberry that has them woven up and down. Now if that one gets blooms, I'd wonder if it was the 'reaching the top and coming down' or the fertilizer. Oh, well, either way, I'd like to have blooms...I think I am trying too hard...ha ha ha,....thanks for your help!

By the way, does the moonflower vine put out buds all along the vine or just at the top growing point? (Should I be looking at the bases of the vine too? I know I will not miss them.. I am out in the garden morning, afternoon, and night..)

• suzq04
    19 years ago

I planted moon flower vines for the first time last year. I planted 4 seeds at the base of an arbor that is 18" wide, 7' tall. Those 4 seeds completely covered the arbor and bloomed from May till frost. For the first 3 months or so, I carried gallon jugs of Peter's 20-20-20 liquid fertilizer to them daily (my soil is very sandy) and they bloomed profusely all summer. I have found with other plants that if you fertilize while the plant is forming buds with a high nitrogen fertilizer that the plant will abandon the flowers and make more foliage. That also happened with triple 8 once on my wisteria. I'd say (IMO) that the fertilizing should have already been done but will follow this thread to see how it goes. BTW, I just found this site and think it's great! It seems that there are a lot of knowledgeable gardeners out there. I'll definitely be back!
    Suzq

• lynn_d
    19 years ago

Joey, I really don't know if what I was told is true or not, sounds like yours is really not really climbing upward any longer tho, or did I misunderstand? Mine has just started blooming in the past week or two, this cold weather, especially the nights dipping into the 50's has set all my tropicals back. The Mandevilla, brugmansia and hibiscus were doing so well in early June but struggled into July. They are just now rebounding.

My theory on fertilizer is that most any (potted) plant that requires massive amounts of water needs fertilizer because I am washing away or diluting nutrients in the soil. Especially in a rainy summer like we are having this year, many of my potted plants are out in the rain.

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Lynn, actually, mine are still growing upwards, up the twine, I'd say by now it has to be about 12 - 15 feet. I don't know how tall some of the others are, I wove them up and down a 6 foot shrub a few times...I'm still waiting, but it seems that moonflowers in the warmer zones are just starting to bud, or flower, so I am hoping mine are not far behind. thank you, any advice is helpful..JoAnn

• Xiaoding
    19 years ago

Two tings to try:

Stress the roots. Put a big nail into the ground near the plant base and move it around a bit. Do this 3 or 4 times. You want to do a little damgae, but not kill it.

Hang flourescent red ribbons from the top of the vines down. More red light = more flowers, tells the plant that it has few competitors nearby, since red light is low angle light.

Have not tried these myself, cause I've had no problems yet.

:)

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

: ) Well, that certainly is a different approach...

• lookingglassgarden
    19 years ago

I too am experiencing this problem. But my husband keeps reminding me that the last time I had moon flowers they bloomed late in the summer. My vines have taken over my front porch and so far Ive had only 3 or 4 blooms at the base of 1 of my 5 vines. I was really hoping they would cover the porch in blooms. Upon closer inspection Im thinking Im starting to see more buds unless they are new leaves forming. Its hard to be patient!

• lynn_d
    19 years ago

I have a hanging basket that has a Mexican Torch vine in it, the darned thing was gorgeous when I bought it. Then it quite promptly quit blooming. It has however started climbing up over the hanger, around the bamboo shade that's above it and along the rooftop of the patio! I just discovered that last week, I saw something green and leafy climbing up the roof toward my bedroom window! Since I was at my wit's end with the darned thing, I pulled the branches down and either forced them downward or cut them. Last night I was watering and noticed that it had set buds again. So I am guessing that like other climbers, it just stops blooming in order to put on growth.

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I think I am getting a few buds. There are only a few, and are very tiny at the moment, but the growth is darker than the leaves when they appear. It seems both sets of plants have buds, about equally at this point. I don't see a difference in the ones that I fertilized as of yet. I am starting to get excited..I will be watching closely.

• rachelacey
    19 years ago

I just got the first 2 flowers on my potted moonflower yesterday. I fertilized (with Osmacote) once or twice since spring. My vine is loaded with the dark purple buds now, so I'm sure it'll continue flowering until fall. Dontcha just love the scent? aaaahhhhhhhhhh :)

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I don't know yet...I've never seen, or smelled one yet! Can you believe it? I can hardly wait (if you didn't notice..ha ha). I am glad you said the buds are dark purple..that's the color of the teeny tiny buds starting now. yahoo!

Any idea how long it takes from new bud to flower?

I think a watched pot never boils and a watched vine never flowers. I had to go out of town for a few days, when I got back there were buds...hmmm.

• rachelacey
    19 years ago

JustJoeyGirl,

I know I've had buds for at least 2 weeks that don't look close to flowering yet. They are getting larger tho. Then, one day, it'll suddenly be a large green bud and early that evening it'll start opening - and they're quick when they start! only about 20 minutes and it's full open and scenting the air. You'll love 'em!

• imari2
    19 years ago

My mf only bloom every other year sooo this is the year that they SHOULD bloom but our weather has been so cool this summer I am afraid I will only have them to enjoy for a day or two then we will get a frost , Moon Flowers are my favorite and when I have blooms I take doz. of pics lol.

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

OK, Lots of buds now..they are small, but there are many..I see no difference in the plants that were fertilized, they seem to be about equal to the ones without fertilizer so far. You all were right...time and patience...I can't wait for flowers..Thanks all!

• merriss
    19 years ago

Do not fertilize..give coffee grounds!!! LOTS of water..they will do just fine..
    JustJoeyGirl..where do you find that daffodil that you had posted on another forum question? I just adore it..
    Thanks and remember..moonflowers are just like so many vines..give them fertilizer and they will make more vine than flowers.. trust me!!

• SayYouWill
    19 years ago

I am new to the GardenWeb forums and new to gardening. I just heard about Moon Flower at my nursery this morning. I just had to say that I have LOVED reading this thread! It is so cool to read everyone's experiences and I feel very antsy for all of you waiting for your first blooms! I feel like I'm there with you waiting in anticipation! Hope it all goes well for you all! Can't wait to start mine next year!

James

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well, it happened, it finally happened.....It bloomed, it is beautiful, and you were right I love the scent! I can't wait for more.. I used to say 'all they talk about on that moon garden site is moonflower, moonflower, moonflower...well, NOW I know why...WOW..very nice. I will be adding many more of these next year. The vines I fertilized are the first to bloom, but I see the ones I didn't have buds on them that are almost ready to open too, so I am not convinced that fertilizing them helped or hurt them, which is what this post started out as.... so here is one picture of the many I took tonight. I tried to get it in the different stages of opening..They came out ok..But, as you all know, pictures do not do flowers justice..especially when you can't smell them....enjoy!

• fernzilla
    18 years ago

I have had very good success with growing Moonflower
    Vines from seed. I have planted them in various locations
    from partial shade to full sun. I use Miracle Grow all
    purpose fertilizer( I use hose attatchment)with 1 pk of
    fertilizer monthly. I have real good luck with them growing
    and blooming profusely. They don't get going really good
    until it's gets really hot, like in July.
    I remove pods, to prevent volunteers from coming up. I
    save a few for next years crop.

• sinner_gurl
    18 years ago

Xiaoding,
    Hmmmm.. now I'm wondering about that red light thing. The other day I soaked 3 moonflower seeds in water overnight. They sprouted the next morning. Then I put the seeds into small pots and placed 'red' seran wrap over them to add humidity (I only used red because that is what I had). I put the pots in a west-facing window. The next morning all 3 seedlings were up and reaching toward the light. This is the fastest I've ever started them. So I was wondering if anyone else had an insights with this? I know some people use red plastic under tomatoes but I haven't tried it.
    ~Lenette

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I forgot I posted this last year....when the messages came to my email, it reminded me to plant some moonflower seeds I had purchased and needed to soak. Last year I bought nursery started plants and they did fantastic..I think I learned PATIENCE is the key with them.. ENJOY! JoAnn

• PetuniaPriss
    18 years ago

Mine is a nursery plant -- in full sun for about 5-6 hours per day. I've fertilized several times and have some very nice blooms. It's got about three big stalks that are sending out runners. It's been watered and WATERED (thanks to several torrential downbursts right after I watered!) I think it would bloom better with more sun, but I just didn't have another place where it could crawl.

Hmmmmm. Never heard the fertilizer thing, but . . .that's why I go to web sites and read books -- I'm just a learning. I don't think I would enjoy a flower I couldn't feed.

• ciaobella
    18 years ago

When my friend gave me my first moonflowers a few years ago she said they were heavy eaters and liked dog poop. I've been told it's not good to put "raw" dog poop on plants, but I tried it last year with the moonflowers and it certainly didn't hurt them. They were big with lots of blooms. Now I'm a little nervous about doing it, however, as I only have two mfs this year.

• PetuniaPriss
    18 years ago

Here is Zone 6, I have 1-2 flowers every night. One night, I had 4!! I was so thrilled. I put mine out the end of April . . ? I have fertilized -- used a root hormone when I set it out -- few doses of Miracle Grow -- and I have it mulched heavily. So, I dunno either. I got it when it was a couple of inches from the Amish greenhouses, so I'm sure it was well fertilized there, also.

I have another in a pot in not as much sun, but it seems to be doing well, also, after an attack of mealybugs. (Snails attacked the mulched one -- sprayed with Ortho stuff.)

Gosh, gardens are temperamental, aren't they????

• JustJoeyGirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello Petunia...good for you flowers aready? Wow..even though we are a zone 5 here, I won't be seeing flowers for at least two more months...usually begining of September from what I understand. Last year I was at the same place I am this year..minus one thing: ANXIETY. Ha ha ha..I learned patience and that they usually bloom late here. They are beautiful, aren't they? Enjoy yours!

• katladie
    18 years ago

Rabbit manure is the best fertilizer for them. Put some in the planting hole and mix it in good with some dirt dug from the hole.

Sharon

• ThisDay4Him
    18 years ago

I have a beautiful vine this year, full of buds.
    They have been trying to open for 2 weeks, but not one has managed to open yet. The bud gets full and looks like tonight is the night, but it never completely opens.
    I have had Harlequin bugs for the first time this year on my cleome, they have now moved to the moonflowers, wondered if this might cause the problem?

• april15
    18 years ago

Moonflower Vine, I had grew one from seed once many many moons ago. It grew very quickly and flowered and it died just as quick. I remember how wonderfull it looked. I had forgotten about it untill I started reading this string. Where can i get seeds from? I live in Melbourne Australia.

• rere53
    18 years ago

My husband uses Miracle Grow on his Moon Flowers and they go crazy with blooms. He does them once a month. He has had as many as 600 blooms on his 5 bushes at one time. He uses one of the jars you screw into your water hose with the Miracle Grow inside the jar and sits it on the ground and turns the water on. It's best not to get the Miracle Grow on the leaves as the hot sun will burn the leaf and turn it brown. If the have a large bed I suggest you hold the jar and spray the Miracle Grow at the base of the bush or plants.

• gboezio_hotmail_com
    18 years ago

I belive that too much nitrogen can delay flowering, and for flower formation phosphate is essential and for a healty plant I would not overlook potassium.
    It's my first experience with moon vines but they Impressed me with their fast growth. I planted them in feb indoor and they cover now all my windows (5 of thems)
    So my plan is :
    transplant them in larger pots using well aerated soil like adding perlite to some potting mix. Mixing my soil with bone meal (2-11-0)
    Take them out
    Use all purpose (20-20-20) fert to supply Nitrogen to get an abundant and healty green foliage
    In late may I will flush the soil with plain water to remove Nitrogen from soil and only add plain water and some 0-0-60 diluted in water once in a while it should allow the plant to become N deficient and trigger abundant flowering.
    By then the bacterias in the soil should break down consistent P(bone meal) to produce huge flowers all summer
    Will check on leaves if they turn yellow will add 20-20-20 to control N so the plant do not turn chlorotic but it should not happens
    These are fun, good luck to all of you ;)

• cougarvamp
    12 years ago

Im in Chicago, and planted Moonvine for the first time. I read you're supposed to start them inside, but I don't have the space and my 3 cats will bother them, So I gently hit them with a hammer, I had a rag over it, then soaked them overnight, I just planted them in peat with morning glory seeds. I hope they bloom! Also bought a trellis yesterday and I put it in the container, but I'm going to have go back to Loews next payday and buy a bigger one, the one I have is only 4 feet. Do you think there is a chance they will grow with the way I planted them? I hope so! I appreciate any feed back/advise.

• cougarvamp
    12 years ago

I have 2 birdhouses on double metal shephards hook in an area that would be perfect to grow the moonflower morning glory combo. My question is, will either of these vines climb up the metal shephards hook? Or do i need to fasten a trellis to it? I've had a morning glory cover the fence of my previous residence and this is my first experience with a moon flower vine

• greenjesse
    12 years ago

The first leaves they get, the seedling leaves, well a couple of weeks ago they started turning purple along with the stems. I read that it could be from a phosphorus deficiency. So I fertilized it with fish emulsions and a week later the purple started to fade. I don't think the purple makes a difference to the true leaves Bc they looked aok but the fertilizer helped the stems.

• a131
    6 years ago

I never replant my moonflowers but i keep all of my tea bags coffee grounds and egg shells i toss them arround in an old wash tub them gingerly put the concoction on the roots iv got 20- 30 blooms when the moons out

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH