Return to the Moon Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why is my moon flower wilting?

Posted by vcarousel NWmighigan (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 03 at 13:06

A friend of mine gave us a moonflower, we planted it in the sun between our cement stairs and a brick garden spot. He said that they like to be warm and that in our area it would be good to plant it there. Well every morning and afternoon it wilts terribly. We have been putting an umberella???? I think that's how its spelled, over it everyday and at night it perks back up, but I am afraid that we will lose it if I dont find a better place for it. Could someone give me some suggestions? Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why is my moon flower wilting?

Are you sure that it is well watered? It seems to me that it needs more water.

o

Is it a moon flower vine? My looks wilted during day sometimes, if it is really hot, I just give it more water
right down at the roots.

o

Greetings,(umbrella)
I can think of another reason if more water doesn't work.
You mention that its in cement, how new is the cement?
Is there a cement grout in the brick work?
the cement could be combining with any fertilizers that you use on it, if you increased the fertilizer because it was wilting, it would wilt more if this is the cause.
The lime in the cements can cause a chemical burn to the roots if the fertilizer mixes with it.
Thats why we never fertilize and spread lime at the same time!
I'd say stop any fertilizers (even organic) and increase the watering, by soaking the roots down deep, to see if that helps.Moonflowers do wilt some but always seem less wilty when the rains satisfy them. Hope this helps!

o

surre sounds like it needs more water to me also.. it's amaising the ammount of water they need... I can water the planter mine are in .. long deep and quite thoroughly in the morning .. and by afternoon.. they are drooping... guess it's time to get the watering system up and running... Gordon

o

I never noticed before, but this year my moonflower vines wilt in the heat of the day and get ok again in late afternoon. They have plenty of moisture as we have had rain showers this week everyother day

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moon Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here