Return to the Moon Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stunted moonflower vine

Posted by kateanne 11 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 15:38

I planted moonflower seeds in pots with some morning glory in may on my lanai here in honolulu, I was afraid it might be too hot but the seedlings all came up quickly. The morning glories are doing pretty well, the vines are a couple feet long and budding already, but the moonflower plants don't seem to be growing at all. They are still working on their third set of leaves and no more than 3 inches high. As well, the leaves are irregular, kind of spiky shaped hearts. I at one point noticed that the undersides of the first seedling leaves had white powdery bug residue, so I clipped those off. The plants don't look unhealthy, just stunted. Did I plant too late in the season?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stunted moonflower vine

Moon flowers are tough to get started in my garden too. They take a lot of heat so you should have no trouble there. Maybe the more vigorous morning glories are stealing their thunder! Mine look delicate and weak next to the morning glories but once they get started they do grow. Right now my glories are nine feet long and covered with flowers, the moonflowers are eighteen spindly inches but are at last setting buds. The spiky heart shape leaves sound right. Mine sulk if not pretty soggy, I live in windy dry San Jose. Try a boost of fertilizer and plenty of water, and clear away some morning glory leaves if they are muscling in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moon Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here