Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smelly_cat40

Dying for Moon Garden: need zone 5 suggestions!

smelly_cat40
20 years ago

Hi Everybody,

I am fairly new to gardening (about a year) and have taken a serious interest in a a moon garden. I've done some light research but have been disappointed that many of the flowers are outside zone 5.

Now I don't know how wise it is to stray from your zone but my guess is there is some room for movement. Can anyone make any suggestions on what I can plant for a succesful moon garden? Both perennials and annuals are fine.

Thanks!

P.S. don't know if this matters but I'm in the city of Chicago and about 5 miles from the lake.

Comments (25)

• smelly_cat40
    Original Author
    20 years ago

whoops, also forgot to ask, can I plant a moon garden in full sun as well as the shade? I'm guessing you plan your moon garden according to where it will be located during daylight hours.

I have more sun than shade and thought I'd have to get full sun plants. If I did do full sun plants, say tall thick ones, then could I put shade plants below them?

Thanks again!

• Marigene
    20 years ago

I have moonflowers planted on the southside of my house and they get lots of sun and do great. I have seeds if you would like some.

• LaBella
    20 years ago

Greetings,
    have you tried 4 o'clocks?
    Mirabilis japonica I think is the latin name for them.
    They are easy to start from seed, develope a tuber that winters over in all but the coldest zones. Some treat them as Dahlias because the tubers are similar. Perhaps a bit of mulch would be sufficient in your zone.
    They love full sun, and look like pepper plants except for the tubular shaped flowers that come in single colors and color splashed over a color, quite pretty. On grey, rainy days they start early,but, by 4:pm the fragrance starts wafting thru the garden. when I lived in a colder climate, I grew them in hanging baskets and brought them in just after the first frosts caused die back, let them go dormant in the garage. In early spring the were brought out during the day and sheltered in at night untill the weather warmed up enough to leave them out side.

• Vinefreak
    20 years ago

LaBella, I just went to smell my 4 o'clocks. Didn't realize they were fragrant. Right now they did not smell.

But my 4 o'clocks open at 7:oo o'clock. Perhaps they will be better tomorrow? Hope so!

Smelly Cat40, your my neighbor. I live in Andersonville and have THE garden on the block.

So my neighbors say....... Love to show it off if your ever interested.
    Don't know much about Moongardens but now I'm getting curious. they are selling a night blooming jasmine at Fertile Gardens on Diversy near Ashland

I know that would belong in a Moongarden!! Idon't however know if it's hardy in our area. Now I'm really getting curious about that too! I'll do a search on the Web to see what zone it is.

I grew up with 4 o'clocks in this very same garden and it was my experience that they self seeded. They came back every year just like clockwork. ha ha

Anyway neighbor I'm pretty versed in gardening having done it now for over thirty years (started young).

So if I can offer my help of any knowledge I may have I'd be happy to.
    Good Luck with the Moongarden,

I may do some research for you. See ya,

John S

• alison
    20 years ago

I don't have a moon garden per se, but I do enjoy my fragrant white flowers.

I'm in zone 5, central Ohio, and these days I'm savoring Royal Standard hosta, flowering nicotiana, and a 25' sweet autumn clematis.

It's hard to come indoors at night, much less close the windows!

• charlene_in_iowa
    20 years ago

Hi!
    I'm not sure what color Marigene was offering but I have some white Datura-moon flowers, they are actually an annual that re-seeds willingly. If you would like to send me your address I can send you some!

• refuge
    19 years ago

I grew four'oclocks for the first time and they are absolutely beautiful, with so many colors on the same plants but.....when does the scent come? I don't smell anything. Is it just me?

• Shade1
    19 years ago

I live in zone 6B and am wanting ot start a moon garden I have the plot dug up 20x15 and turned over and an arbour in place but then College Graduation happened and a new heating system happened so its off till next year. I would love to have some plans and a a list of the plants and where they go if any of you know of one. I could then get started early next year. Thanks for your help. Sue

• heather2004
    19 years ago

Fragrant plants for a moon garden must haves!!

white oriental lilies like casa blanca
    nicotiana, syvestris, alata, heaven scent
    white heliotrope
    daphne, carol mackie
    sweet autumn clematis
    night blooming phlox
    night blooming stock
    hosta, plantaginea, guacamole, aphrodite, venus, fragrant bouquet, Diana Remembered, Fried Bananas
    Night blooming jasmine (not hardy)
    gardenia (not hardy)
    sweet alyssm
    azalea northern lights (white)
    daffodils, mount hood, and double white variety
    gladioulus, white (not fragrant)
    bouncing bet (soap wart)
    white clover
    honeysuckle
    clematis, Henri (not fragrant)
    rose, John F Kennedy (white hybrid tea rose)
    snow drops (not fragrant)
    hyacinths (large white)
    yellowwood trees
    privet (for enclosure)
    lily of the valley
    white lilac
    white hardy hibiscus
    white crocus (not fragrant)
    white wisteria
    white petunias
    wall flowers (bienniel) yellow
    White peony
    day lily ice carnival
    rose iceburg (standards) and climbing iceburg
    white sweet pea
    white birch trees
    fringe tree
    abelia
    lambs ears (not fragrant)
    magnolia (timeless beauty) over winter this in unheated sunny room or garage
    mock orange, minnesota snowflake
    white garden phlox, davidi
    white pansy (not fragrant but look great in moonlight)
    star magnolia
    butterfly ginger (over winter tubers inside)
    white lily of the nile (not fragrant)
    white lupin
    gas plant
    clematis, duchess of edinburg (double white)
    white stock, excelsior
    white poppies
    moonflowers
    white datura
    white brugsmansia
    goatsbeard
    queen anne's lace (not fragrant but beautiful)
    white double impatients (not fragrant)
    white astilbe (not fragrant)
    white dahlias (not fragrant, overwinter tubers inside)
    white centurea
    white hollyhocks (not fragrant)

this should get you going on plant ideas for your moongarden next year!
    Heather

• refuge
    19 years ago

I arrived home from work this a.m. and spotted many four o'clock blooms! I wanted to see if they had a scent finally and they do! They smell like allspice and vanilla. Now if only a moonflower would appear.

• authorrose
    19 years ago

For me, gourds make wonderful moon garden plants. No smell, but the flowers open as the sun goes down and are white, the leaves also show up well in the moonlight. If you need seeds, I will have them later this year, email me.
    Linda

• stardust
    19 years ago

Hi there Smelly_Cat

I too have a yen for a Moon Garden, and have had for some time. I have a similar dilemma. Sun or Shade. I could do either but would love to have it all. hehehe. I do plan to plant in the sun and add under story shade plants beneath taller plants and under vines. I have already been collecting plants for this garden. I just need to decide WHERE I want to put it. I also have an in ground statuary type fountain that is white that I plan to add to it as well as a small water garden. That will mean 'white blooming water plants'. OH, and don't forget the bench! Unless you are lucky enough to be able to plant it very near a patio or porch, you will need somewhere to sit and enjoy it. Perhaps under one of the arbors for the vines ...?!

:)

Boy, Heather has really nailed down a good list for you. I would add

Siver Lace Vine
    Irises in various heights and varieties (Dwarf germans bloom before the intermediates and the talls bloom last of the bunch - this will extend your season, at least with the German - aka beared, Irises)
    Artemesia (silver types - my plan for a subtle 'enclosure')
    Glads
    Ghost Fern
    Calla Lily (winter indoors)
    Caladium (there are some great looking whites - not hardy and I've never had much luck in over wintering them - I use them as annuals)

Annuals will make great 'filler' for the periods when the perennials are 'napping'. Again, any white blooming or silver foliage will work. Scented varieties are of the utmost value. I usually tour the garden centers and nurseries to see what is in stock and inexpensive. I figure the scent comes mostly from my perennials, annuals will make it look full throughout the season.

In my mind, any plant that has at least one of the three basic ingredients for a Moon Garden (scent- in white blooms or silver foliage of course, white blooms only, silver foliage - only) will work for me. Of course the 'best' ones would have all three elements AND bloom at night.

Geez, I can be long winded. Hope this has helped. I know I want to go out there and start digging on my own Moon Garden now. I think I may have just talked myself into a spot for it while I was chatting with you!

Stardust

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

Don't forget your purples. They create dark spots to highlight your lovely whites! Mine's about half done and it's my favorite project. Love the dats!

• shadyindylady
    19 years ago

Hi Smelly-Cat. I am in Zone 5...NW Indiana and I have
    a raised corner Moon Garden in my back yard. It is in full
    sun and I have the following in it: Morning Light ornamental Grass (beautiful silvery effect plays off the white blooms of perennials); Phlox David; Shasta Daisy;
    Obedient Plant; Turtlehead Plant; Gay Feather. I also
    have some Artmesia (Wormwood) planted around a concrete
    angel on a stand that has a beautiful effect with the white. I also planted white bulbs in this area for Spring...Tulips and Hyacinths. Good luck!

• rachaelf
    19 years ago

My shaded areas are covered with a carpet of white and pale pink impatients that shimmer in the moonlight.

• joepyeweed
    19 years ago

does anyone have culvers root in their moon garden? - its awesome at night...white candelabra like spires that really stand out in the dark and very hardy to illinois (a native) not very fragrant but bumble bees love it ....and it grows well in either full sun or part shade... joepyeweed (light pink) and ironweed (dark purple) make a nice complement to culversroot - day or night...

• SueCr
    19 years ago

Does anyone have any suggestions for designing a moon garden? I just saw my first moon flower and fell in love. I appreciate everyone's suggestion for plants. I will be working on this over the winter.

• The_Dollmaker
    19 years ago

Look for variegated irises too. The leaves just glow!

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    19 years ago

A few that were not mentioned yet. White or ivory calif poppies, huskers red penstemon, white violets for spring, star of bethelehem, white liatris, white or emerald blue creeping phlox, silver creeping veroncia (incana), salvia argentea, edelweiss, snow in summer.
    Catrina

• richdelmo
    18 years ago

Early September and I'm still waiting for my first moonflower bud. Started them in mid May and four months later no blooms. Oh well probably time to give up for this season.

• JustJoeyGirl
    18 years ago

No, don't give up yet, I was the same way with my first ones..this year I am not even looking at my vine for another week or two at least!

• catladysgarden
    18 years ago

I haven't seen any mention of the tall white trumpet lilies. I suggest Lilium trumpet hybrid 'Emerald Angel' which is white with a green tint. It grows 3-5 ft and blooms in July. The trumpet lilies perfume the whole garden when they bloom.

I have always been extremely fond of Datura. They are nocturnal, but they don't close up at the first ray of dawn. Some are extremely fragrant. There are several different species and cultivars to choose from. Colors range from pure white to cream and pale yellow. There are lavenders and whites with purple edges and throats. They have large, upfacing, trumpet shaped flowers. They are a herbaceous perennial in warmer climates and a reseeding annual in the colder zones.

I liked the suggestion of Veronicastrum virginicum (culvers root). The tall white flower spikes seem to glow in the moonlight. Same goes for Aruncus dioicus (goats beard).

• vera_eastern_wa
    18 years ago

I never planned on a "moon garden", but these plants have proven to glow in the moonlight in my south facing full sun garden:
    Alyssum
    Datura inoxia (white)
    Nicotiana alata...old fashioned white
    Linaria maroccana 'Northern Lights'
    Nepeta mussinii (Catmint)
    Saponaria...mine is very light pink
    Coreopsis grandiflora
    Lavender 'Grosso' and Lavender 'Munstead'....not so much the flower-spikes but the foliage...
    Salvia officinalis...the foliage

Vera

• mary43
    18 years ago

Casa Blanca Lilies,huge white trumpets and smell heavenly.
    I also have Lambs Ears and they are fragrant they were not the first year but they have been the last 3 yrs ???
    My moon garden is in it's 9th year, and grows every year,I started small but now it is competing with the larger garden.I have a silver lace vine on the entry arbor and another vine (for got it's name) which blooms early spring ,tiny white flowers that is extremely fragrant.
    I need to get it id'd !

• jensjensen
    15 years ago

Hi, I'm in Chicago, too. I've wanted a moon garden for years--now maybe reading this thread will inspire me to actually do it. (I copied all the lists of recommended plants)
    What about holding a "Chicagoland Moon Walk" when we're ready?

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville