Return to the Moon Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moonflowers not surviving

Posted by lilacs_of_may 5/6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 07 at 19:15

Last year, I transplanted moonflower seedlings to a place by my back porch where they'd have a nice trellis to climb.

They limped along and then eventually died.

This year I transplanted healthy young plants to a spot in front next to a wall and a fence where they'd have something to climb and they'd get morning light.

They did slightly better. One even developed a flower, although I never saw it bloom. Then they dried up and died.

What am I doing wrong? Do they just not like the hot, dry Colorado weather? I've heard that the scent is fantastic, and I'd like to be able to grow these.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moonflowers not surviving

Mine have survived this Tennessee drought we've got going on down here with only being watered every 3-5 days and they're trained against a tree as their trellis for this year.

They're actually doing a lot better than I thought they would because the area is bright shade until about 3:00PM and then they get full sun for three hours and then back to bright shade until sunset a couple hours later.

What about your other conditions, drainage, nutrients, watering, etc.? How much heat emanates off that wall during the day, is it possible that's "baking" them until they finally wither and die off?

o
RE: Moonflowers not surviving

I have moon vines growing and blooming everywhere but the ones in full sun are doing the best. I had 8 blooms on this vine tonight and it is loaded with buds. I have found that they do not transplant well. I start mine in 4" pots and plant when they get about 6" tall. I also am growing some purples this year so I am hopeful for seeds from these. I do not think that heat bothers them as long as they get enough water. I live in Louisiana and we have very hot temps and high humidity and they still grow to amazing sizes here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moon Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here