Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liz62_gw

moon flower newbie

liz62
11 years ago

I was thinking of trying to grow moon flowers, they are so beautiful and sweet smelling, but I don't know if it is too late to plant them in the ground now or not,(end of July). I would like to grow some but I think I will have to wait until next spring to plant them. What do you think? I still have August and September before it starts getting too cool, any advice will be appreciated. One of my neighbors has some and has said that he will give me some seed pods when they turn brown. Can he give me the pods while they are still green and I put them in a baggie and keep them until next spring and plant them then?

Comments (30)

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

Plant next year because it takes more than 60 days to maturity (bloom). Wait until the seed matures on the neighbor's plants to collect them. The seeds don't mature if you pick when green pods.

• form83crew
    11 years ago

I learned from experience..do not try to pick the green pods and refridgerate them...they turn to mush...and try not to handle the pods...they are poisoninous

• marty48
    11 years ago

Here in this picture you can see the seedling in the corner, also I have two seeds soaking in the blue bowl next to it. I read warmth is one of the keys to germination but as I don't have a lamp that I can rest the bowl on I took the water and peroxide mixture and heated it up, and poured some of that on the seeds. I only have two that I am trying besides the one already sprouted, I figure if those two sprout and the one already started I would put them all in the same pot and maybe have a happy mess of flowers. They don't need to be neat and orderly, just so I have more than one that will grow.

• marty48
    11 years ago

Is this a moonflower bush seedling? If so am I doing everything right?I have planted several seeds in here with the plant and for some reason it is the only one that has come up. Could they others be dried out? I am soaking 4 seeds and they are floating, I have them in water and peroxide.

• marty48
    11 years ago

Here are the seeds I was trying to sprout, do you think they are dried out? I decided to try 15 seeds and hopefully SOME of them will sprout.

• marty48
    11 years ago

i am trying to figure out why my moonflower seeds are not growing, I put them between two coffee filters and wait until I see a tail and then put them in potting soil, I keep them as moist and warm as I can, I have a pot on the windowsill that has a bunch in there and nothing is happening. I had 15 seeds in a bowl soaking and one grew a tail so I put it in the potting soil that has the seedling in it. If they all come up at the same time I am going to have a boatload of moonflowers. Could it be because it is not warm outside? I have the flourescent lamp on them and that is making the seeds sprout, but nothing from the ones that I have planted before and they have been moist and warm. What could I be doing wrong? Help!

• marty48
    11 years ago

Is this the right way to do this? I went up to the Dollar store and got 3 packages, they each have 7 seeds in them, I just opened one pack and are soaking all 7 of them, hoping one at least will sprout. The water has hydrogen peroxide in it and I scored each of them with a metal file, did I do the right thing? Do they need to be in light to sprout or can they just sit there where they are?

• marty48
    11 years ago

Look what I found when I looked in the pot with the seedling, it has a friend again! I also have the seeds soaking. Can you grow the vine moonflowers and the bush moonflowers in the same place? And morning glories too, I have a place that would be perfect for all of them, there is a fence that would look pretty with the colors of the morning glories and the moonflowers.

• marty48
    11 years ago

Is it a good idea to put plastic on the pot that has the seedlings in it? I have plastic on everything that has moonflower seeds in them.

• marty48
    11 years ago

Several of my moonvine seeds have roots, there are even a couple of them that have REALLY long roots! In the square pot there are only two seedlings and they are moonflowers. All the moonvine seeds are in the clay pot and the small green pot, I was thinking of moving the seeds that are in the small pot into one of the green pots that came with the Amaryllis, does that sound like a good idea? They will have more room and not be so crowded.

• marty48
    11 years ago

This is one of my moonvine seeds sprouting, they are quick, I just replanted them into their own pot the other day and they are sprouting, also one of the others I had to replant again, the roots are very, very long and they keep pushing the seed out of the soil, thinking of putting all the moonvine seeds in one pot and letting them be one big happy mess. Will be so happy just to see a moonflower and know that I grew it from a seed. Didn't think I had that much patience.lol!

• nopets
    11 years ago

I guess I can grow just about anything, this is the moonvine seed since yesterday! Whoever said these seeds sprout fast sure knew what they were talking about. It is almost like you can watch these sprout and I have two more on their way up out of the soil! These grow faster than anything else I have ever grown, I don't think you need a green thumb to grow these, just water, good potting soil, and a minimum of patience.

• nopets
    11 years ago

These are the latest pictures of my moonflower vines, they are popping up like volcanoes. I hope I can keep them alive until I can put them in the ground, the only problem I can see is trying to get them all out when the time comes, it may be interesting, I think I am going to let them twine around each other and be a big happy mess, one question, will they bloom while they are in the house or will they wait until they are out and in the ground? The reason I asked is I grew MG in the house and it bloomed, and these are cousins to the MF.

• nopets
    11 years ago

These are the latest pictures of my moonflower vines, they are popping up like volcanoes. I hope I can keep them alive until I can put them in the ground, the only problem I can see is trying to get them all out when the time comes, it may be interesting, I think I am going to let them twine around each other and be a big happy mess, one question, will they bloom while they are in the house or will they wait until they are out and in the ground? The reason I asked is I grew MG in the house and it bloomed, and these are cousins to the MF.

{{!gwi}}

• nopets
    11 years ago

Latest picture of my moonflower vine seedlings, one question, will the flowers bloom while inside? I had a mornig glory plant last winter and it bloomed, and I planted it outside, and it bloomed again. So I am going to let them twine around each other and be a big happy mess, hopefully they will give me one bloom before I plant it outside.

• nopets
    11 years ago

This is a picture of the moonflower vine seedlings that have come up there are 6 up right now and 3 sprouting and in the same pot with the Datura there is one moonflower vine seed sprouting. Then in the little green pot there are two, one already out and opening and the other is just now showing just a little.

• nopets
    11 years ago

Can anyone post a picture of where the second set of leaves will be on the moonflower vine seedling? I have a lot of seedlings and am just trying to figure out where to look for the true leaves.

• nopets
    11 years ago

I gave away a few moonflower vine seedlings, I have 6 seedlings left, going to give 3 more away and keep the other 3, I also have 3 Datura seedlings just going to town, here is a picture of one of the moonflower vine seedlings growing its true leaves.

• nopets
    10 years ago

This is one of themoonvine seedlings that I planted, one of the friends that I gave a seedling to his had a bloom on it the other day and it is only 6 inches tall! He uses water and coffee grounds, how does this one look to you?

• nopets
    10 years ago

What would cause the leaves to fall off the moonvine seedling? My neighbor just brought the one back that I gave to her and all the leaves fell off, the stem is still green, and I noticed it was very dry, so I watered it real well and have it under the flourescent lamp. Do you think it can be saved?

• nopets
    10 years ago

I planted this moon vine yesterday and it is supposed to rain today, do you think it would be alright if it got rained on? I know this is a silly question but I got it this far I don't want it damaged before it even blooms once. They do seem to like the warmer weather.

• botaniphile
    10 years ago

They are tough plants. It should be fine.

• nopets
    10 years ago

latest picture of moon vine, it does not seem to want to try to twine, there are no tendrils or anything like that, could it not be big enough? If so, what can I do to make it grow bigger? I had it outside but the squirrels kept digging it up, if I plant it in the ground, will the little buggers keep digging it up? If so, how do I stop them?

• nopets
    10 years ago

Is it a good idea to use Jobe's fertilizer spikes on my moon vine plant? It is in the bedroom because of the squirrels, but I think I am going to plant it in the ground tomorrow and see what happens, I will put cayenne pepper around it and maybe it will survive. I was thinking of putting one of the spikes in the soil around the rose. What do you think?

• nopets
    10 years ago

Here is the moon vine plant outside, I guess it is not warm enough for it to take off yet, it is not dying or anything it is kind of just sitting there. Will it take off in July and August?

• nopets
    10 years ago

Here is a interesting development in my moon vine pot, there is a morning glory coming up too! I don't remember planting one in there, so that is a good surprise, though I have no idea what color it is going to be.

• marty48
    10 years ago

Have not posted in awhile thought I would let you see the moonvine and datura in the windowsill, I added just a very little Miracle-gro to the water the last time and they loved it! It is growing like crazy, so here it is and maybe you can tell me if you think it will bloom before winter.

• nopets
    10 years ago

The moon vine that I have outside is doing well, it is starting to run, here is a picture of it twining up the string.

• BettyJSmith
    10 years ago

Wow! Ya'll are sure worrying a lot over these moon vines! I had never heard of putting peroxide into the water with the seeds before. I let mine soak for 2-3 days, when the weather is warm outdoors, then they grow like weeds! They get the occasional shot of miracle grow with the rest of the garden, but other than that, they just grow and bloom like they're supposed to. It sounds like ya'll must be in a colder zone. I'm in zone 7b.

• nopets
    10 years ago

My little sprout.

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz