Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostarookie

Moon Flowers

hostarookie
13 years ago

Is anyone familiar with the bloom time in zone 6 for moon flowers?

These picture were taken on Saturday (8/7) and this morning when I walked out, the fence was covered. Talk about a fast grower... :-) I just can't wait to see it bloom.

Emily

Comments (4)

• jamiestdr
    13 years ago

Hi Emily! I am new to moon flowers also. I don't know anything about zone areas, but I live in Indiana. I recently planted my moon flowers back in the beginning of June and they are growing wildly! I just started getting blooms pooping up here and there....about one or two a night, they haven't reached their full potential yet, cause some ppl see at least 30-50 blooms per night...but I am positive they will soon :) I dont know if this helps you or not? but I hope so...also, I have been reading the other forums on these flowers and most ppl say they nick and germinate the seeds, but I didn't do any of that, I just planted the seeds about an inch underground in front of my house, and I haven't had any problems with them growing! I am really excited about them, but one weird thing has happened, I seen your pics, and yes, mine are growing just like that, but the weird thing is, that they have these little yellow flowers that bloom in the morning, and then the big white moon flowers bloom in the evening....I dont know if morning glories got mixed in with the seeds or what, but they're about one inch in diameter,light yellow w/a burgundy center, and the thing is, that they are growing right along with the vines, they are not a part of the vine, but are a part of the whole plant itself, I planted about 10 seeds all along the front of my house, and these little ellow flowers were spread out just ike the vines are, it is so weird and I am so curious as to what happened? nothing grew there before I planted the moon seeds, and they started growing together all along the same spot...I guess I got lucky though, b/c it looks beautiful, and they bloom in the morning, and then the others bloom at night, I've been trrying to find out what could've happened? and trying to find a morning glory that might resemble the ones I've got?
    Anyway, it's nice meeting you, and glad to see someone posting on here recntly, been on here the last couple of days and nobody has responded, it's nice to find a fellow moon gardener to talk to! :) Where are you from? Please write back? Thanks!

• jamiestdr
    13 years ago

BTW I can send you a pic of mine if you'd like? the yellow flowers aren't vines, so they can't be morning glories right? the plants they're on grow straight up out of the ground and the leaves are kind of pointy, and they feel rough to the touch, not thorny, but prickly I guess you could say? So, anyway, I will take a pic for you and try to get it on here soon :)

• hostarookie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi jamiestdr ~

I'm not sure how the yellow flowers came to grow with your moon flower but I'm sure it's a site to see!

When I planted my seeds, I didn't do anything prior to placing them in the ground and obviously from my pictures, nothing needs to be done. :-) They're doing just fine!

I'll email you now and you can reply with your pictures if you'd like.

Emily

• kathy_lennon_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I have had a moon flower plant that I take in every winter and baby it. It is 4feet tall and full of green but I have never had a bloom or a seedling.. I'm getting really tired it is 3 years old HELP HELP

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County