Return to the Moon Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Night bloomers besides moonflower?

Posted by tropicanarama Chicago (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 25, 04 at 13:44

Folks, what are your suggestions for some flowers to add interest to a moon garden? I have already planted some white/pale roses (Cecile Brunner, Gruss an Aachen, the Fairy, and Heritage) and I have seeds of nicotiana and moonflower waiting for next season. I've also planted some stuff with white/silver splotched foliage, including some stachys, lamium, and polemonium. Are there others you'd recommend? I'm especially interested in fragrant flowers, and at least some flowers that can do double duty by looking nice during the day. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Night bloomers besides moonflower?

culvers root (veronicastrum virginicum)
foam flower (tiarella cordifolia)

o

I really like old fashioned 4 o'clocks. They open in the evening and stay open through the night. They attract hummingbird moths which are a cool sight to behold. Four o'clocks come in a varity of colors.The link below shows a picture of some. Four o'clocks are a great background plant, they grow to look like a medium sized bush full of lovely flowers.

http://www.humeseeds.com/fouro.htm

o

Datura smell wonderful at night and in
the early morning. Also butterfly ginger
is white and smells good!

o

Silvery (fragrant) lavender and artemesia will give you more silver foliage. 'Pinks' (Dianthus) smell like clove and come in colors ranging from white to pink to reds and some varieties have blueish-grey foliage. I've grown fringed white ones from seed. There are varieties of thymes with silver or golden foliage too. Consider other fragrant shrubs like mock orange (some varieties like 'Innocence' has variegated foliage for interest when not in bloom), and Korean spice viburnum carlesii. For fall interest I grow white wood asters and white japanese anemones, though these aren't fragrant, and white phlox carolina blooms summer through early fall.

o

Don't forget white sage, by moonlight they would look silvery. It's how I got my daughter's middle name Silversage.

o

These are some of the other plants I have in my moon garden:

August Beauty gardenia - tree form
butterfly ginger
Casa Blanca lily
David white garden phlox
Milk and Wine lily (crinum x herbertii) - a very old variety from my great-grandmother's garden
Thalia narcissus
Snowdrops
John F. Kennedy rose
Dusty Miller (Senecio cineraria) - grows perenially for me in z7
Fragrant Angel echinacea
The Pearl tuberose
Peruvian daffodil - supposedly hardy only to z8, but mine have come back for 3 years now in z7

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moon Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here