Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liz62_gw

moonflower question

liz62
11 years ago

Is it possible to grow a moonflower inside over the winter? I was able to grow morning glories inside and moonflowers are just part of the morning glory family. I have been reading up on them, and I have plenty of potting soil and patience. So will let you know what happens.

Comments (36)

• liz62
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I cut open the dried seed pod and their are a lot of brown seeds. Are these what they are supposed to look like?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Yes but they're usually fatter. I don't know if that's significant. Hopefully someone will know. Have you looked at the vine forum?

• liz62
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just planted 4 moonflower seeds in this pot and watered it real good, in fact the water was coming out of the bottom when I quit, it is off the ground so it can drain, is this alright? The seeds in the baggie on the side of the fridge have not done anything yet, so now here comes the word that I hate! PATIENCE!

• liz62
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have 4 moonflower seeds soaking in a mixture of water and hydrogen peroxide, do they need to be submerged or will they do just fine floating?

• liz62
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was reading on several web pages about how to germinate moonflower seeds, so I just took a paper towel, wet it and laid the seeds on it, the seeds I put on there had been soaking all night and I think I saw a sprout on one of them, I am not sure, so I wet another paper towel and put it on top of them and set them in the window. I know they will get sun there and it will be warm.

• liz62
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have sprouts coming up! I don't know if it is weeds or moonflower plants. How can I tell the difference? Here is the picture.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

11 years ago

Sorry, not moonflower sprouts. Found some good pics at link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: moonflower vine sprouts

• liz62
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Uploaded with ImageShack.usAm I doing this right?

11 years ago

That way usually works well. As soon as you see a little white thing poke out, they're ready for "dirt."

• nopets
    11 years ago

They are sprouting, what should I do now? Should I let them get a little bigger before I pot them? Can I use the same pots that I used for the morning glories?

11 years ago

Cool! I would put those in soil ASAP.

• nopets
    11 years ago

does this setup look alright? The light is a flourescent bulb and the shiny stuff is saran wrap that is just lying on the pot. Should I fasten the wrap more tightly around the pot or is that ok?

11 years ago

I might not use the plastic wrap, but haven't tried to grow moonflower inside. If someone more experienced in that said it's a good idea, I would defer to their experience. Had 2 more blooms on my vine last night. Hope it works out for you. What a fragrance!

• nopets
    11 years ago

I have a moonflower plant poking its head up, I put the pot in the window and the sun is doing its job.

{{!gwi}}

• nopets
    11 years ago

I got a bag of moonflower pods, a couple of them have busted open, but as you can see, most have not, I was thinking of putting them on newspaper on the counter and letting them overwinter there, I am afraid the plastic bag will rot them.

• nopets
    11 years ago

How wet do the daturas like it? I was thinking of watering it until it drains from the bottom, would that be too much water?

• nopets
    11 years ago

Here is my one moonflower, growing like a weed.

• nopets
    11 years ago

Here is a close-up of the bump on the leaf, could it be the second set of leaves coming on already? A couple of pods have cracked open and I soaked 4 of the seeds and put them in a baggie with a coffee filter. I usually knick them, but I thought I would see how just soaking will do.

11 years ago

Cool! Not sure what that bump is. Love the updates!

• nopets
    11 years ago

My moonflower pods are busting out all over, I sure won't have a shortage of seeds!

• nopets
    11 years ago

more pics! You can see the true leaves coming on better in this pic.

• nopets
    11 years ago

ooops, did not get the photo that time, lets try that one again ok folks?

• nopets
    11 years ago

updated picture of moonflower plant.

• nopets
    11 years ago

should I move the little seedling in the picture window? I have a small pot in the window and the soil is warm to the touch.

• nopets
    11 years ago

My first moonflower is shedding its seed leaves and getting its true leaves, and he has a friend!

11 years ago

How cute! Enjoying your updates.

• nopets
    11 years ago

What is going on with my moonflowers? I moved them from the windowsill because I was afraid they would get too cold, should I put them back? This one looks like it is dying, is that normal? I read that once they get going it is almost impossible to stop them.

• nopets
    11 years ago

Here is the other one, this is the second one that popped up, none of the others have come up at all. Is this one ok, or do I have to do something to it?

11 years ago

As much light as you can give is all I know to tell you.

• nopets
    11 years ago

This is the set up that I have decided to do, I got the seed pod off the one plant and the dead seed leaves off of the other ones. I watered the big pot with the misting bottle, and put some water in the small pot, for some reason nothing is coming up in there, I have some more seeds in a coffee filter and water in a plastic baggie with the top open, it is getting light too. Does this outfit look ok to you? The windowsill was getting too cold.

• nopets
    11 years ago

Here are a few seeds that I knicked and soaked, I just want to know whether to let them get a little better(tail), or just put them in potting soil now.

11 years ago

I try to plant them as soon as they crack. Those look ready to go. Good luck!

• marty48
    11 years ago

This is the only moonflower seed that has sprouted, I have had this seedling for quite awhile, it was looking kind of sickly so I took it out of the window and put it under a fluorescent lamp and it is perking up and I think it is doing better,the leaves are getting bigger and I think it is happy. I water it every time it looks dry on the top of the soil and when I do water I make sure it runs out the bottom, that way I know that I have gotten all the soil wet. Then I let it dry out for awhile and then do it again. When I first took it out of the window, the two smaller leaves were very tiny and now look at them, they certainly have grown. It is strange though, I have planted a bunch of seeds and this is the only one that has sprouted, I can't explain it so I take real good care of this one. Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated thanks.

• marty48
    11 years ago

This the only two that have come up so far, I have moonvine seeds planted and moonflower seeds planted, I also have 5 more moonvine seeds soaking. I guess you could say I have the moonflower bug!lol! I have everything on a heating pad to provide bottom warmth to get the seeds to sprout, unfortunately it has a 2hr shutoff, but I hope it helps the seeds. How many days should I leave them on the heating pad?

• marty48
    11 years ago

Here is the picture of the two seedlings, for some reason I did not get the photo the first time.

• nopets
    10 years ago

Except for coffee grounds, what else will help the moon vine grow bigger?

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz