Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pitbullt

Datura Inoxia White Moonflowers

pitbullt
17 years ago

Anyone who would like to grow these magnificent plants may do so regardless of what zone you live in

Datura, Not Brugmansia, are pretty well self propelled.

If you do not have the plant, I will later tell you how to start one.

Once they are established, you are good to go probably forever.

Datura can survive in full sun to more than partial shade, the less sun, the smaller the plant, and fewer flowers. The reverse is true, the more sun, the bigger the plant and the more flowers you get.

If your plant has an abundance of sun and is potted you are going to have to water, water, water, it or it will become "laggy". I live in New Jersey and it seems half day of sun about 4 hours seems to be best. Dry to moist soil in the pot, if they are in the ground they pretty much take care of themselves.

If you live in Zone 7 or higher these are Hardy and never die, Below Zone 7 they become annuals, However 1 decent plant will produce enough seed pods and seeds that even though the frost & freeze will kill off your plant(s) with little or in most cases NO effort you will have an abundance of plants, Probably much more than you ever wanted.

Take a small maybe 5 inch pot and fill it with potting soil, Wet the soil to almost mud,

Plant your seed(s) just under the soil. Maybe 1/8th or ¼ of an inch deep.

Keep the soil almost but not quite mud, once you see the slightest sign of a sprout cut the water back so that the dirt is moist, keep moist while plant grows, at the height of about 2-3 inches give it a little root enhancer if you like but not necessary. When plant is about 6 inches pot it in a BIG pot or put it in the ground. My plants grow to about 3 feet high x 3 feet in width and bloom from spring to first frost.

The main reason for my writing is I love these plants and have no problem sharing them, with others, within reason, anyone who would want to send me $2.50 US Dollars to cover S&H costs I will Mail to you two of these seed pods containing hundreds of seeds for you to plant. If you are interested email me at pitbullt@earthlink.net and I will email you the address to send the $$$ to.

To plant the seeds they would have to be dried out, two ways to accomplish this

Let the seed pod dry out and crack open, VERY TOUGH on the fingers digging out the seeds from a dried pod as the thorns hurt, hence the name thorn apple,

Or you can open the soft pod, remove the seeds, which will be moist, lay them out on a paper towel and allow them to dry out for a couple days.

Please keep in mind all parts of these plants are POISION, They contain alkaloids that were used in the past as hallucinogens and today their leaves and flowers are used by some to get high, Not recommended as they can and often are fatal when ingested.

As I said, Once you get these plants in the ground, All you have to do is sit back and smell the blooms, This particular plant has a very enticing sweet smell that is predominant in the evening.

Regards

Ted

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals