Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
parrotfeather

Moonflower buds

parrotfeather
14 years ago

Thanks to whoever posted the picture of what a moonflower bud looks like. It was very helpful in distinguishing the difference between buds and just the start of more leaves. Those pointy snail-like antennae were the tip-off. I THOUGHT there was something different about these new growths.

I was LUCKY to have the seeds sprout at all. I FORGOT to SOAK them first. Did that with my morning glory seeds (scored 'em AND soaked 'em) and they just didn't sprout!

Wow, when those moonflower seeds were getting ready to sprout, it was like something big was trying to come up through the soil with those big cracks!

The vines climbed pretty fast - nine feet up to the ceiling of my balcony. Transplanted the little plants (the way the leaves were positioned, they looked like butterflies) on the 3rd of July and they made it to the ceiling about a week or so ago.

I can't wait for the first flower and the rest that will follow -- anxious to smell their fragrance. I'll come back an report when they start blooming.

Thanks again for those great pictures.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations